trying to learn deep water slalom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boscoman View Post
    Could not for the life of me keep the slack out of the line as I went back toward the wake. Either it would sag or I would pull my arms in to take up the slack. This was with full length rope at about 30 mph. From everything I've read, shortening the line just increases the degree of difficulty for competition skiers. Don't know if there is an advantage to doing that at this stage of my learning.
    Shortening the rope does require more skill for the course but it also just changes the physics of skiing. If you visualize yourself on a swing set the skier is always trying to start from the same width so as the rope gets shorter you ski further and further up on the boat. To the point where skiers running the shortest line lengths are literally the same width out from the boat with their ski but they are even with the pylon. At 35 off you reach the point where the skier's head cannot get outside of the ball as the rope is too short to allow them to see outside of the ball at any point in the pass.

But shortening also does in a way reduce the amount of work the skier must put into the situation. Back on the swing argument at really long ropes you are always following the boat down the lake almost straight behind, at very short ropes you are almost not following the boat at all and entirely trying to ride the handle around the back of the boat. Between those two points is the sport of water skiing as you increase your difficulty.

In regards to the slack - Radar has a great podcast you should listen to for sure their episode on open water skiing linked below.

But I will summarize it as you are simply turning in at the wrong time (early) its almost like if you were to be out walking your dog, your dog is pulling on the leash and keeps it tight. He goes back and forth keeping it tight, heck he can run 360 degrees around you keeping it tight so long as he never comes nearer to you than the length of his leash.. The only way the dog can get slack is if he heads towards you. The boat is like that you are going faster than the boat and then you turn. If you are now going faster than the boat is headed towards the boat you'll get slack. If you keep going outwards as you slow up then you turn so that you're going across behind on a tight rope you won't get any slack.

https://radarskis.com/spraymakers
    https://anchor.fm/spraymakers/episod...-Skiing-egitvb

Comment

^That is a superb description 88, and a bit of an aha moment despite reading and hearing versions of the same over the years. Thank you.

Comment

Dog works for some. Everyone has had a bad dog before.

For many open water skiers it is simply that they have 2 modes pulling or turning. Where as course skiers have a third or maybe even a forth mode as they develop adding in a preturn and eventually more of a specific edge change into that preturn .

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post

For many open water skiers it is simply that they have 2 modes pulling or turning. Where as course skiers have a third or maybe even a forth mode as they develop adding in a preturn and eventually more of a specific edge change into that preturn .
          ^^^ this for sure..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Thanks so much! Had no idea there were so many resources available..the podcasts are great.

Comment

Love the dog analogy. I laugh when I read a post that starts “I’m a very aggressive open water skier.....” The course will humble any “aggressive open water skier”. The skill, mechanics and knowledge required to make a full pass at any speed/length is just crazy. Says the guy that worked for months to get [email protected] LOL. I can’t even wrap my head around shoreline.

Comment

Men either the only way I consider it is that when my ski and body are in sync there is a feel of the ski actually just arcing and edging. Like the best of downhill skiing where after the wakes the ski is just crossing under and going. Not where the rail is sliding around but you're just in a groove. To get there it's all about body position and timing.

Comment

Now that I'm consistent getting up on one of my combos, I got a new ski. Now it's all about getting up on a skinny ski! Connelly Carbon V. Went back to the deep v handle and now I'm about 1 in 3. Ski is really squirrelly when the line is taut getting ready for the pull. As for the slalom, I can say 2 things, one I've got a lot to learn and two, that wake is intimidating!

Comment

My tip for the wake - look at the top of your boat's window or your driver's head not across the wakes. It will seem weird but when you're looking down at the wake you basically look more and more down as you get closer to it.

Comment

Men either the only way I consider it is that when my ski and body are in sync there is a feel of the ski actually just arcing and edging. Like the best of downhill skiing where after the wakes the ski is just crossing under and going. Not where the rail is sliding around but you're just in a groove. To get there it's all about body position and timing.
                      ZEN.. but agree, good stacking on edge will lessen effect the wake effect, even for us aggressive open water skiers..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Working...
                      X