X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tommurtha View Post
    Doubt many here understand the Dr Jim reference

Ya its starting to get older.

The main summary people should know is that he was a really good skier, that gets overlooked by his cheating but he did do some skiing with people elsewhere but he only competed at his home lake.

Why I brought him up is that if you ski a normal course and then start skiing a really narrow course adjusting to that narrower trajectory you have to make sure that your not skiing into really loose rope. I'm impressed Dr. Jim was able to adjust to that when presumably he didn't only ski narrow courses.

As it relates to this when you stand looking straight down a course it is really easy to see if one ball is narrow or if the course is curved because it doesn't line up down the lake - but it is really hard to tell if all 3 turn balls are narrow or on tolerance - with one key thing that took down Dr. Jim - The Malibu open is a 3 event tournament - so as part of the set up for the event additional balls were installed for the trick and jump boat paths and these were then an optical way to tell the course was narrowed.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyB View Post
      If i recall correctly, Dr Jim was in Wisconsin...same last name as Dr I ski with...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
      WI is out west....when you are from MA.

I linked the article and realized my recollection of where his ski lake is was off.
      Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Back on subject; cable course, pipe construction

BRET you mentioned 2 x 2 inch PVC with a 1.5" smaller piece to connect them. Would you have the lengths of the pipes? I inherited a similar set up and need to make a new one then switch it with an old one, one at a time and check everything out. 1 pipe seems to twist and roll over so something is off. TIA and best wishes,
        Previous Boats: 04 X7, 98 190, 96 205, Sylvan Deck
        Thanks and best wishes, George & Sara Amonette
        256 786 2244
        [email protected]

Comment

New slalom course installation

^^^^^
          20’ x 2” sections. Sort of hard to find, and transport. Drill 1/4” hole 1” in from one end, then 238” (I recall) down to the other.
          I think the boat guide is 90.5” apart? And 20” exposed of the 1.5” pipe, 60” long. So holes are 22” apart. We put mid buoy in Middle of the 1.5” pipe I think.
          There is a diagram on wallyskier.com.

http://wallyskier.com/docs/pipediagram103.pdf

See the bottom half of page.

Wally is a good guy. Recommend at least buying buoys clips stainless bolts etc from him, if not his pipe strategy.
          MIskiboat
          MC Devotee
          Last edited by MIskiboat; 11-26-2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks!!!!!

This is perfect. I'll rebuild 1 long section then replace them 1 at a time after refurbishing each one.
            I also think I will cover the 20" inch exposed section, I'll just add a little extra to cover it up and make it 2 inches all the way across.
            I may make the 20 footers out of 2 x 10 foot pieces just to make it easier to transport.

I also assume on the lower/2nd one that the green center buoy is the same distance from the outer buoy, 13 feet.

Anyone know if the grey electric conduit is the same size and strength? It has 1 end with a larger opening to put 2 pieces together. Which would require some adjustments.
            Previous Boats: 04 X7, 98 190, 96 205, Sylvan Deck
            Thanks and best wishes, George & Sara Amonette
            256 786 2244
            [email protected]

Comment

New slalom course installation

Unless you use something other than 1.5” in the center, putting 2” over the 1.5” does nothing.

We use the white schedule 40 pipe. The 20’ sections have the bell (enlarged) end but we don’t use it.

Grey will likely be harder to see in the water if you need to drop your course and relocate or find it if/when buoys get knocked off.

No clue on the 13’ thing. Ours are 30’ is which is really easy to ski around (almost pointless), but surely keeps the arm from sagging underwater.

For sure use stainless hardware. A few more bucks. The zinc stuff goes bad after a while. Then it’s just a pain to replace.

Have fun.
              MIskiboat
              MC Devotee
              Last edited by MIskiboat; 11-30-2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I'm within a foot for sure.
                Doubt many here understand the Dr Jim reference
                Being within a foot or two, I know you understood the reference!
                The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

What's keeping me out of the course? Not having skied in over 20 years, now 74, had Covid in March, still weak from that, unable to even get up on one ski....anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
                    No clue on the 13’ thing. Ours are 30’ is which is really easy to ski around (almost pointless), but surely keeps the arm sagging underwater. .

Putting pipe insulation inside the PVC will solve the sag - but the 13' is from the INT waterski league https://www.facebook.com/int.league/

Which is basically a defunct thing but they specified 13' inside the ball for the novice bouy. Most people put it around 10' in from the ball which is ~27 feet from centerline.

I think like you said 7' in makes it a ~30 foot ball instead of 37 feet and that's a really reasonably easy ball to make for new skiers.

Honestly why I like the novice balls instead of just driving down the right side of the boat guides is that when you are missing the ball you still have a good reference to turn if you're missing the pass.

AWSA doesn't really bother having an official dimension because there is no real official score for a full pass on the novice balls. You don't get ranked on that at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X