NXT20 2021 Center tab setting for waterskiing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT20 2021 Center tab setting for waterskiing

The Preset for the center tab is 50% but would like to run a higher setting, ie, 70% to help flatten the wake more. When I set to 70%, the SW automatically resets back to 50% once it reaches planning speeds. Would appreciate some feedback on optimum ski settings for minimal wake at 30 MPH and why can i not increase the center tab beyond 50%.

I have 2018 XT20, I run center tab at 45%, at 28mph. Have not been able to dial in 32mph yet. Higher than 50% didn't help much.

Comment

I run my 2015 NXT20 at about 45% as well. Seems like any more than that and it starts to kick up a bit of a rooster tail.

Comment

The simplest way to sort out the wake is to put a tab on the windscreen saying "for sale" and buy a prostar

Comment

Originally posted by Starbord View Post
          The Preset for the center tab is 50% but would like to run a higher setting, ie, 70% to help flatten the wake more. When I set to 70%, the SW automatically resets back to 50% once it reaches planning speeds. Would appreciate some feedback on optimum ski settings for minimal wake at 30 MPH and why can i not increase the center tab beyond 50%.

Same with my 2020-20. I think they are keeping us from submarining a wave at high speed. try turning off cruise and manually running it down . I will try my next time out . My last boat was a 2019 nxt22 (no profiles) and I could run it to 100% if I wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2012 GT205
          2011 X25
          2019 NXT22
          2020 NXT20

Comment

I totally get that MC has to ensure you can't set the center tab that could cause submarining. However, I doubt that exactly 50%, (which is there SW limited amount), is the maximum setting allowable to prevent submarining. I viewed the effect that 70% center tab has on the wake on a 2019 NXT and it was considerably better then 50%. Even if I could set it at 70% max I think I would have I really good ski set-up. At 50% center tab, the wake is still sizeable even at 32 MPH. More to come.

Comment

Not much you can do about reducing the wake size tbh, of course it's going to be big, even at 32mph. The hull shape dictates it.

Just look at a prostar and an NXT20 side by side: The basic spec's are the same i.e. same length & width but the NXT is 600lb heavier, has an extra 17gal in the fuel tank, a deep V and keel bulge at the front and a deeper V at the rear. Oh, and the engine is at the back. All of this equates to a large wake at any speed in comparison to any tournament boat.

Don't know where the ballast and fuel tanks are on the NXT, but if you fill the centre and forward ballast tanks and I presume the fuel tank is in the centre - so fill that too, but make sure the rear tanks are empty. what you're trying to do it reduce the weight directly at the rear to make the boat flatter when planing - this should reduce the wake at speed even though you've actually added weight to the boat.

Comment

Appreciate the great input. I will try your recommendations on filling the center tanks to get a flatter attitude of the boat at planning speed. My fear though is adding additional weight to the boat will just cause the front V portion of the Hull to push more water outward resulting in a larger wake, regardless of the back of the boat sitting higher in the water. Have nothing to lose so why not try. I do understand your comparisons of the Prostar to the NXT and why its wake will never be comparable to the Prostar, however, my goal is to maximize the shape of the wake of the NXT for waterskiing, with the understanding it will never be perfect. I can't justify a focused ski boat unfortunately, but I am confident the NXT can be optimized beyond my current setting and I'm convinced increasing the center tab beyond 50% will get me there, fingers crossed!

Comment

What rope length are you skiing? Have you tried going shorter, say 28' or 32' off?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My first one was a bit of a jest tbh, and the second wasn't meant to be a "buy a prostar because of this" comment, it was to allow you to see the comparison between the two boats and how changing the weight distribution around will help change the attitude of the NXT to change the wake, hopefully for the better.

moving weight forward is a tried and tested method of flattening the wake, it will also help with bow rise. I even do it on my 205 when towing kids

I just came back on here to mention rope length as it just occurred to me that you hadn't mentioned it - although bcd just has.

If you are using a wakeboard rope, then it'll probably be too long. 75ft is the absolute longest rope you want to be on while waterskiing, preferably 60ft (15off) or even shorter if you want to get a bit of a thrill. You will probably find a spot about 10-15ft behind the rooster that gets very lumpy/big hump but if you want to get a big thrill, shorten off to a few feet infront of the rooster at ski speeds - just once try at 10.25m, see how close you are, the pro's go shorter...

Comment

Or buy some trick skis.

Comment

Originally posted by Olaff View Post
                        Or buy some trick skis.

Got em in the toy box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        2012 GT205
                        2011 X25
                        2019 NXT22
                        2020 NXT20

Comment

Good point WRT rope length. I've only ever used my "Go To" length of 72 ft. I checked first where that point was at 32 MPH WRT the wake and it looked OK though had a bit of a trough to get thru after hitting the first wake so shorter would most likely work better. I've never tried shorter but it is time to start playing with this too. So much to consider when fine tuning a perfect set-up. Thanks for the great input and hopefully I can get out this week-end and give these new ideas a go!

Comment

I ski my x2 at 28-32 off. It's much better there, but it's still a hard bump. I have taken it through the course though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X