any other pretenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any other pretenders?

My friends and I have been fortunate to put in about 50 waterski days this summer, it's been great! We have no access to a course, so we pretend to ski on one. Since we have a pretend course, we pretend to make it through about half the time. We're constantly critiquing each other: "your turn around the 3 ball was shaky, but you made up for it on ball 4". IMHO we're better than average skiers. My technique has improved, at the beginning of summer I was skiing at 28 off, now I'm at 35 off.

Any other pretenders out there?

Ever taken a look at https://rodicsinnovation.com/product/offcourse/ ?

Comment

I am a pretender and ski with another pretender. He's a solid 32 off/36mph, I'm solid at 15 off/34 and ski into 32 off at 32. We free ski 90% of the time "pretending", 3-5 day/week, 3 sets per from May-November. We ski a lot.

About once/month we venture over to the public course....my buddy can run 6 @15/32, and [email protected]/32. I can run the mini [email protected]/28 and but only [email protected]/28 in course. Compared to our line lenths and speeds of free ski...it's pitiful. Course skiers have mad skills.

We joke that the only commonality between free ski and course ski is you are holding the handle. The angle you need in the course is crazy compared to free skiing. And unlike free skiing....if you are late at 1 ball you can pretend and make it up by 2 pretend ball LOL. Not so much in the course (unless you are a skilled course skier). I've had a lesson from Corey Vaughn, which was very helpful and if I was serious about course skiing I would take more lessons.

Oh, and I've had some nasty crashes in the course...ones that hurt. I don't do that when I free ski (which is why we mostly free ski).
      Last edited by d2jp; 09-13-2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

the course will humble you in a heart beat. I am kinda happy my ski partners didnt install it this year. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Rita View Post
          My friends and I have been fortunate to put in about 50 waterski days this summer, it's been great! We have no access to a course, so we pretend to ski on one. Since we have a pretend course, we pretend to make it through about half the time. We're constantly critiquing each other: "your turn around the 3 ball was shaky, but you made up for it on ball 4". IMHO we're better than average skiers. My technique has improved, at the beginning of summer I was skiing at 28 off, now I'm at 35 off.

Any other pretenders out there?
          It's the internet, everyone runs 35 off.

You should pick up the west coast ski technique video from kjohnson. Pram will pay shipping of course.
          -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by Slvr Bulit View Post
            the course will humble you in a heart beat. I am kinda happy my ski partners didnt install it this year. LOL
            Amen to that.

Comment

I pretend 3-4 times a week 34/-22

Just closed on some land on a private lake though that is perfect for the course so, soon to be done pretending. Can't wait to get my s*** rocked on that.

Comment

We pretend every spring before we get our course in. Then we get the course in and we're all humbled. There's always jokes about never missing a ball.

Side note, I got my personal best in the course yesterday - 4 balls at 34 mph, 32' off.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

AGREED!!!!
                  NEW BOAT:2004 197TT

PREVIOUS BOAT:1993 Prostar 205

Comment

Originally posted by edwin View Post
                    Ya its cool. Sort of waiting for the next iterations to come out as the designer is always tweaking.

I would 100% drill holes in my hull to install these under my top deck in the bow. So hopefully he comes up with a gimble mount version.

Otherwise we do fake flag slalom and I will put painter tape on the hull.
                    Last edited by 88 PS190; 09-22-2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

What the actual fu$k.

For $2500 buck you can higher me to toss paint balls in the water for you!!
                      -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                        Ya its cool. Sort of waiting for the next iterations to come out as the designer is always tweaking.

I would 100% drill holes in my hull to install these under my top deck in the bow. So hopefully he comes up with a gimble mount version.

Otherwise we do fake flag slalom and I will put painter tape on the hull.
                        On the river where I usually ski, a guy made a DIY version of this and it works really well. In any case, the systems are very weight sensitive. Ball of spray reviews indicate the real version is an awesome alternative if you absolutely can't do a course.

Comment

the course will humble you in a heart beat.
                          An understatement and 100% true. After skiing a course in the past, taking some time away from it, and try to come back to it with any expectation of bragging and smiles. Doesn't work that way. Deeply humbling.

93 190
                          John 14:6
                          2 Peter 1:3–8
                          Matthew 6:1-4

Comment

Nope

US $0.02

93 190
                            John 14:6
                            2 Peter 1:3–8
                            Matthew 6:1-4

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                              It's the internet, everyone runs 35 off.

You should pick up the west coast ski technique video from kjohnson. Pram will pay shipping of course.
                              Good advice, what's that cost these days?
                              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Working...
                              X