• Show
Clear All

• psychobilly
    replied
    Oh yeah!!!!! Looking dang good man!!!

Leave a comment:

• zsqure
    replied
    Sanded with 60,80,120, then star bright teak oil. Now I understand. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366043385.159363.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	2320281
    And all the cars are covered with sawdust. Oops!

Leave a comment:

• GoinBoatin
    replied
    I would love to sand and finish yours. I happen to be in the flooring business so sanding wood floors is my passion. This is pretty familiar stuff for me. I just sanded it down with 80 grit orbital palm sander. I used watco teak oil finish from menards. Like someone said in a previous post the lower grits like 80 or 100 will leave the pores open for the oil to penetrate better. If 80 doesn't cut off the old stuff try 60 then finish with a finer grit.

Leave a comment:

• bjen
    replied
    Originally posted by snork View Post
    deeper sanding 80-100 grit will open up the grain better so the oils will penetrate better
    What he said then, more sanding

Leave a comment:

• zsqure
    replied
    Used a "West marine" teak cleaner and brightener, on our sailboat we used spic n span and bleach and our teak was always perfect, guess I should have gone with that. I did not start with 80 grit, went straight to the 220. The light places are crevices in the grain, I guess I need more sanding A lot of high and low spots. I used starbright teak oil.

Leave a comment:

• bjen
    replied
    What are you using for a finish and did you use anything to clean it first?

Leave a comment:

• snork
    replied
    deeper sanding 80-100 grit will open up the grain better so the oils will penetrate better

Leave a comment:

• zsqure
    replied
    I need help. My teak does not look right. This is after two coats.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• BradleyV
    replied
    Nice job Goinboatin. This is motivation to start mine this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Kyle
    replied
    Great job. Wanna do mine now?

Leave a comment:

• GoinBoatin
    replied
    Heres after 2 coats. I think ill do 2 more.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• GoinBoatin
    replied
    Decided to give mine a facelift. Heres a before shot. Looked like there wasnt anything even on it, just raw teak.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 3ponds
    replied
    I do not know if anyone has mentioned the product by Sikkens called Cetol. I use the satin finish, it wears like iron and makes the teak look like new. I give my platform a quick cleaning and sanding and apply Cetol only once every three years. This product is commonly used on the deck teak on sailboats and yachts.

Leave a comment:

• mlawler34
    replied
    Originally posted by bjen View Post
    Did you only sand with 220? I started with 80 and did not use the brightener and only used soap and water to clean. I think the 80 grit looked after most the problems.
    Picture is a little small but I had the dark lines you refer to and the sanding looked after it for the most part, still had some when i oiled but it looks fine.
    Thanks for the response. Was thinking about getting 100 or 150 grit out first and giving it a good once over then 220 and then clean it up again.

Leave a comment:

• bjen
    replied
    Did you only sand with 220? I started with 80 and did not use the brightener and only used soap and water to clean. I think the 80 grit looked after most the problems.
    Picture is a little small but I had the dark lines you refer to and the sanding looked after it for the most part, still had some when i oiled but it looks fine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X