No announcement yet.

Teak Thread- Everything teak in here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks great. I would be proud to show that.

Comment

• I'm sure most of the products are of the same quality, but I've always used Watco Teak oil. Watco makes a variety of stains and varnishes for furniture. I've used their product when working and its top notch. Just my 2 cents.
      1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
      Modded 351 Windsor
      Edelbrock heads, intake manifold, cam, lifters, tfs pushrods, harland sharp rocker roller rockers, pertronix distributor holly carb.
      Powerslot tranny.

Comment

• Alright, so I am in the process of redoing my teak. I am fairly certain they used some sort of varnish previously on this teak, but looks like most of it is gone and or I have sanded it off. However, I sanded with 220 and have used the StarBrite Teak Cleaner and Teak brightener, and my teak still looks very dark and stained with too many black/real dark lines. Am I over thinking this? Or...

Do i need to sand more and repeat the cleaner and brightener? Or should i move on to Oil or what? Need some thoughts and help on this! Thanks!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Did you only sand with 220? I started with 80 and did not use the brightener and only used soap and water to clean. I think the 80 grit looked after most the problems.
          Picture is a little small but I had the dark lines you refer to and the sanding looked after it for the most part, still had some when i oiled but it looks fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by bjen View Post
            Did you only sand with 220? I started with 80 and did not use the brightener and only used soap and water to clean. I think the 80 grit looked after most the problems.
            Picture is a little small but I had the dark lines you refer to and the sanding looked after it for the most part, still had some when i oiled but it looks fine.
            Thanks for the response. Was thinking about getting 100 or 150 grit out first and giving it a good once over then 220 and then clean it up again.

Comment

• I do not know if anyone has mentioned the product by Sikkens called Cetol. I use the satin finish, it wears like iron and makes the teak look like new. I give my platform a quick cleaning and sanding and apply Cetol only once every three years. This product is commonly used on the deck teak on sailboats and yachts.

Comment

• Decided to give mine a facelift. Heres a before shot. Looked like there wasnt anything even on it, just raw teak.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Heres after 2 coats. I think ill do 2 more.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Great job. Wanna do mine now?
                    Rollin' Gangsta Style

Originally posted by Thrall
                    "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                    Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft
                    If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Comment

• Nice job Goinboatin. This is motivation to start mine this weekend.

Comment

• I need help. My teak does not look right. This is after two coats.
                        Attached Files
                        https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
                        1988 prostar 190 SOLD
                        2001 Prostar 209 SOLD

Comment

• deeper sanding 80-100 grit will open up the grain better so the oils will penetrate better

Comment

• What are you using for a finish and did you use anything to clean it first?

Comment

• Used a "West marine" teak cleaner and brightener, on our sailboat we used spic n span and bleach and our teak was always perfect, guess I should have gone with that. I did not start with 80 grit, went straight to the 220. The light places are crevices in the grain, I guess I need more sanding A lot of high and low spots. I used starbright teak oil.
                              https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
                              1988 prostar 190 SOLD
                              2001 Prostar 209 SOLD

Comment

• Originally posted by snork View Post
                                deeper sanding 80-100 grit will open up the grain better so the oils will penetrate better
                                What he said then, more sanding

Comment

Working...
                                X