No announcement yet.

Teak Thread- Everything teak in here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im pretty happy with how it turned out. Everything in that boat has been replaced or modified. Its been a hell of a project!

Comment

• Originally posted by A.P. View Post
      PaintPollz: I'll probably start a new thread in the restorations section. I should have it finished up later this week and I'll snap some shots of it. This is the second time around on the Interior since 2010.... Im a bit obsessed..

FoggyNogginz: I am usually on Old Hickory around Drakes Creek but I'll be hitting Center Hill a lot more this year, probably around Hurricane. I mostly Hydrofoil. Where do you ride on those Lakes? I would love to get out some evenings during the week.
      I'm in those same locations, and live in Mt Juliet near Shutes Branch. PM me and we can get together during the week sometime!

Comment

• Originally posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
        I got this done today! Honestly, linseed oil has changed my life. No more teak oil every month for me. Best lesson in a long time.
        I'll second that. I did my platform with the linseed oil / mineral spirits mixture. Wow, it is the best my platform has looked in years. I'm a huge fan of this....and I'm glad the warnings about linseed oil rags were posted on here because I had no idea.
        2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
        "Freedom is beneficial to everyone equally" - Ron Paul
        15%'er

Comment

• Retro-fitting my '79 S&S with Teak. This deck was new, but weathered. Sanded and refinished with Linseed/Mineral Spirits. This was prior to reading of the volatility of Linseed Oil. Fortunately, I didn't catch on fire. (I may have posted this in the past.)

Comment

• Guys,

I redid my platform last year with the 75/25 mixture of linseed oil and mineral spirits. It looked great like these last ones. One year later, getting the boat ready for the new year and the platform looks like I hadn't touched it. I believe that I had had 3 coats on last year. I didn't expect to have to redo it every year. Does your refinishing job last, or am I missing something?

Comment

• Gents, just make sure you are using raw linseed oil and not boiled. The boiled will harden and continue to darken with age.
              sigpic
              "America is about speed. Hot, Nasty, bad-a$$ speed"
              -Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

• This deck was a little tired and had about a one inch warp to it because it sat in the water for 12 years with the back brackets not being level with each other. Best I can figure is that it was a manufacturing flaw from Mastercraft because even when I switch the brackets side to side I end ended up with the same side being about an inch higher than the other at the end.

To fix it I TIG welded an extra bead on the end and reshape how it sits on the boat.
                Then by taking it apart and sanding it all out and rerouting all the edges I am back to a new deck.
                Attached Files
                sigpic
                -Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

• All sanded about and reassembled
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  -Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

• Oiled and baking in the sun. This was some dark teak. I understand the darker it is naturally the more natural oil it has in it and it felt oily after sanding.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

• 03 35th anniversary 197 that needs teak help. Any suggestions on how to get the black out of the natural groves that are in the platform and then what to do after that? Clean, sand, stain, ect... Thanks for any suggestions.
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

• Originally posted by Bubbacuse77 View Post
                        Oiled and baking in the sun. This was some dark teak. I understand the darker it is naturally the more natural oil it has in it and it felt oily after sanding.
                        Great job!

That's looks awesome!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Where is the recipe for the mixture and the actual products used for this mixture? I would like to try this on my new platform and give it some love...

Comment

• 3 parts boiled linseed oil, 1 part mineral spirits. my newish platform only took about 2 1/2 cups for 2-3 coats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bubbacuse77 View Post
                              Gents, just make sure you are using raw linseed oil and not boiled. The boiled will harden and continue to darken with age.
                              I had not heard this distinction pointed out before...raw vs boiled.
                              sigpic1996 Prostar 205 LT-1

Comment

• question.... after all of this refinishing, how slippery is the deck when wet? I'm a new owner of an 89 prostar 190. My deck needs to be refinished but, damn if it ain't a slippery SOB right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X