Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by paco_06 View Post
    Linseed oil
    Looks really nice. I may have to give that a try next time. I have been using teak oil very successfully. Once a season and that's only because I wanted to not that it needed it. Mine is the same color as yours.
    Thanks for getting back.

Comment

• Originally posted by h2oskifreak View Post
      Went back about 10-12 pages and have not seen any comments to answer my question. I am sure it is there, so forgive me for asking but getting ready to refinish mine and wonder about power washing? In years past have just sanded and it comes out pretty nice. This time I have done not much for 2 years and she is pretty dry. Shall I sand again, or give it a power wash, then sand? Thanks
      To follow up; borrowed my neighbors pressure washer and tested it on a section of cedar fence I wanted to re-stain. It seemed a little harsh on the pickets? I know teak is harder wood but ended up taking it to the car wash and let dry for several days before Teak Oil. Good results! The new trend of Linseed Oil, Mineral Spirits...why exactly is it thought to be better? Does it hold up better long term? I am Teak oil from way back but always open to better ideas?
      "One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal, I was born a rebel" Petty

Comment

• I have never needed to sand. If you sanded before, I would forgo the sanding. Pressure wash, but do not concentrate in any one area. It's wood. The softer areas will wear (erode) faster. There is nothing wrong with using oil; I just want to try the mixture to see how long it lasts in comparison. My oil is good for more that a season and it gets a lot of sun. The posts here look great, the choice I believe is a preference.

Comment

To follow up; borrowed my neighbors pressure washer and tested it on a section of cedar fence I wanted to re-stain. It seemed a little harsh on the pickets? I know teak is harder wood but ended up taking it to the car wash and let dry for several days before Teak Oil. Good results! The new trend of Linseed Oil, Mineral Spirits...why exactly is it thought to be better? Does it hold up better long term? I am Teak oil from way back but always open to better ideas?
          To clarify, cedar is among the softest less dense wood there is and teak is among the hardest wood there is.

Comment

• Refinishing mine now. Have a few loose screws, any tips? Slightly larger screws or some silicon and use same screws?

Comment

• Originally posted by zmarquis View Post
              Refinishing mine now. Have a few loose screws, any tips? Slightly larger screws or some silicon and use same screws?
              I'd go with larger screws.
              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• Thanks, don't typically work with teak and would hate to split. I'll give a +1 a try!

Comment

• Gotta go dark...

It accents your boat 10 fold. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In my experience, the Linseed oil has provided better and longer protection. YMMV, but I am on the lake 3x per week from May-Sept at a minimum, and I found that I was reapplying teak oil more often than I enjoyed. Linseed oil has worked much better for me for whatever reason, so I have remained with this mixture for the last three years.

Comment

• Originally posted by 06MCX15 View Post
                      Gotta go dark...

It accents your boat 10 fold. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Looks nice! What did you use?

Comment

• Originally posted by zmarquis View Post
                        Refinishing mine now. Have a few loose screws, any tips? Slightly larger screws or some silicon and use same screws?
                        If you can't go larger screws I wouls got to the syringe with the equal squeeze of epoxy. The epoxy gets hard whereas the silicone stays soft. Better bite in my opinion. Good luck...

Comment

• Anyone have the link to TMC's guide? http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/at...1&d=1140472173 doesn't seem to be working for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by derek1800 View Post
                            Anyone have the link to TMC's guide? http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/at...1&d=1140472173 doesn't seem to be working for me.
                            Link didn't work for me either, but I assume you're looking for this:
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks exactly what I was looking for but looks like for maintenance?

My platform is in pretty rough shape and really rough wood. I am thinking about taking it to a local belt sander to save on some sanding time. Does anyone have any recommendations?

It looks like people recommend starting with 80 grit, then 150
                              Applying Teak Oil or 75/25

Any other products or things needed? How important is it to clean the wood with any type of product before or after sanding?
                              Last edited by derek1800; 04-21-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• I decided to use SeaFin Teak Oil as a lot of people in the sailing community say it works better than the other products. Here is my platform after one coat
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X