Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teak Thread- Everything teak in here.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Light sand with rough paper and that's it, otherwise it will be too slippery when wet.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • I never go finer than 120 grit.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
      sigpic

      CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

      $125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
      REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
      REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
      Email - [email protected]

      Comment


      • I started with 80 and then went to 120.

        Comment


        • Ok guys I picked up a teak platform the x15, it was in decent shape but had some mold/mildew in the grain from sitting in the water for awhile and then in the previous owners shop for the last couple years. I cleaned it last night with TE-AK cleaner and when I did the bottom some run off got through the seams and I could see it on the top when it was wet. After I cleaned the top twice they seemed to go away some and this morning it was about half dry and they were gone. The cleaning process raised the grain quite a bit so I was planning on sanding down with 120 before I start oiling it. Any other suggestions? (And yes I've tried linseed oil and mineral spirits and I wasn't too impressed so I perfer teak oil.)
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • Hello All,
            I recently sanded our 05 X Star swim platform. It was in pretty rough condition but sanded out really nice. I used 25% mineral spirits and 75% boiled linseed oil. I was really happy with the progress it was making, however I think I over did it on the last (3rd) coat of mineral spirits/linseed oil mix. I *think* I put the mixture on too heavy. A portion of the platform looks great (the mixture absorbed in as expected) but other portions seem to not have soaked in as well and the mixture has pretty much just dried on. You can tell in the picture that the finishes are inconsistent.

            This is my first time working with teak and wood finishes.... do I need to just re-sand the wood and then reapply the mixture and be more conservative with the amount that I use? If this is the route, do I need to sand back to bare wood or just enough to knock the shine off?

            Thanks!
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Pno02 View Post
              Hello All,
              I recently sanded our 05 X Star swim platform. It was in pretty rough condition but sanded out really nice. I used 25% mineral spirits and 75% boiled linseed oil. I was really happy with the progress it was making, however I think I over did it on the last (3rd) coat of mineral spirits/linseed oil mix. I *think* I put the mixture on too heavy. A portion of the platform looks great (the mixture absorbed in as expected) but other portions seem to not have soaked in as well and the mixture has pretty much just dried on. You can tell in the picture that the finishes are inconsistent.

              This is my first time working with teak and wood finishes.... do I need to just re-sand the wood and then reapply the mixture and be more conservative with the amount that I use? If this is the route, do I need to sand back to bare wood or just enough to knock the shine off?

              Thanks!
              You used too much and waited too long for each coat to soak in. Doesn't work like that. I have a tutorial on how to make it (75/25) work perfectly.

              Clean it up and start over. One coat usually is all you'll need and other tips for success.

              Pressure wash (car wash will do) and if that doesn't do it, start sanding.... sand through the mess and to just at the surface of the wood (hope that makes sense). You'll see how it works best for you once you get to sanding, but I'd pressure wash first and see how that works for you. That is all I have ever done for any of the boards I have worked on over the years.

              $0.02
              .
              Attached Files
              Last edited by waterlogged882; 01-30-2019, 09:15 PM.
              93 190
              (safe click)

              Comment


              • Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                You used too much and waited too long for each coat to soak in. Doesn't work like that. I have a tutorial on how to make it (75/25) work perfectly.

                Clean it up and start over. One coat usually is all you'll need and other tips for success.

                Pressure wash (car wash will do) and if that doesn't do it, start sanding.... sand through the mess and to just at the surface of the wood (hope that makes sense). You'll see how it works best for you once you get to sanding, but I'd pressure wash first and see how that works for you. That is all I have ever done for any of the boards I have worked on over the years.

                $0.02
                .
                That's what I assumed. There is a learning curve to everything I suppose. I will restart the process this weekend. Thanks for the guidance!

                Comment


                • Don't overlook the use of Starbrite teak cleaner and Starbrite teak brightener. Use the cleaner before you sand and the brightener after you sand.

                  https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...CABEgK0QPD_BwE

                  The teak oil that comes in that kit is junk. Just toss it out or buy the others individually.
                  Last edited by CantRepeat; 01-31-2019, 06:42 AM.
                  -Tim

                  Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

                  Comment


                  • Has anyone thru bolted their teak. We are about to pull the trigger on a 2015 x15 and he has "strengthened" the teak with thru bolts. It doesn't look bad but...? Am I going to be embarrassed every time some one sees it? Any thoughts?
                    2010 X-15
                    SOLD 1994 205
                    2011 Pathfinder
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
                    1 kid in college

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by sp00ky View Post
                      Has anyone thru bolted their teak. We are about to pull the trigger on a 2015 x15 and he has "strengthened" the teak with thru bolts. It doesn't look bad but...? Am I going to be embarrassed every time some one sees it? Any thoughts?
                      My kids were laughing at me as I was worried I might get "bullied" on team talk for thru bolted teak. Their words!!
                      2010 X-15
                      SOLD 1994 205
                      2011 Pathfinder
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
                      1 kid in college

                      Comment


                      • I haven't seen them through-bolted, but I've heard of plenty of people losing their platforms that were screwed in. Through bolted wouldn't bother me, as long as the bolts are stainless and carriage head.
                        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                          I haven't seen them through-bolted, but I've heard of plenty of people losing their platforms that were screwed in. Through bolted wouldn't bother me, as long as the bolts are stainless and carriage head.
                          Could probably counter sink them a bit too.
                          -Tim

                          Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                            Could probably counter sink them a bit too.
                            Yeah it's what I was thinking. Any opinions on teak plugs? Could that work?
                            2010 X-15
                            SOLD 1994 205
                            2011 Pathfinder
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
                            1 kid in college

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by sp00ky View Post
                              Yeah it's what I was thinking. Any opinions on teak plugs? Could that work?
                              I'm sure they make them and if not you can buy plug cutters and make your own.
                              -Tim

                              Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

                              Comment


                              • If I was to through-bolt the platform I'd use stainless countersunk machine screws, I think it's a nicer look than carriage bolts. Brass screws would add a little bling.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X