Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teak Thread- Everything teak in here.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
    And after....




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks great!
    1989 Prostar 190 351 sold
    2008 Prostar 197 LY6

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
      And after....




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      That looks great! What is the wood you used for the contrast inlay?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
        That looks great! What is the wood you used for the contrast inlay?
        Thanks, this is the platform that came with the Surf Edition, I'm pretty sure it is just a darker piece of teak.

        Comment



        • X25 had teak and we loved it , nxt22 was glass and it was ok . our new toy we go back to teak . think it looks nicer and more classy .
          2012 GT205
          2011 X25
          2019 NXT22
          2020 NXT20

          Comment


          • Originally posted by waterskier360 View Post

            X25 had teak and we loved it , nxt22 was glass and it was ok . our new toy we go back to teak . think it looks nicer and more classy .
            I agree, the teak platforms look so much better, us they are some more upkeep, but IMO, they are easy to restore and the look is classic!!

            Comment


            • Teak Thread- Everything teak in here.

              Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
              That looks great! What is the wood you used for the contrast inlay?

              that looks awesome . hope its not too slick
              what do you guys use to keep them up?



              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by waterskier360; 03-23-2020, 04:36 PM.
              2012 GT205
              2011 X25
              2019 NXT22
              2020 NXT20

              Comment


              • Finally did it

                With the downtime and a little motivation from this forum....I took care of my platform. Sanded 60/80/120/200/400/600 top and bottom. Boat is 10yrs old and needed it. Just threw the oil on and have it curing. Thank you for all the information!!
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bluprint View Post
                  With the downtime and a little motivation from this forum....I took care of my platform. Sanded 60/80/120/200/400/600 top and bottom. Boat is 10yrs old and needed it. Just threw the oil on and have it curing. Thank you for all the information!!
                  Looks awesome, but be very careful when it's wet. That thing will be slippery then bald private parts using KY liquid when wet.
                  -Tim

                  Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

                  Comment


                  • Followed a lot of the advice in the thread and tackled my ProStar teak last weekend.

                    - Started with the nervous task of disassembly. Go very slow removing screws because if any are at an angle, they can chip a piece of the platform when coming out of the recessed hole.

                    - Lay everything out exactly as you disassemble it. Be MOOCD about what goes where throughout the process.

                    - Next I hit everything with 80 grit sandpaper on a belt sander. Got everything to an even wood color. Wear a face mask and glasses. The dust gets on everything and is not healthy to breathe.

                    - Then I touched everything with 120 grit on the belt sander, being very careful on the ends and corners.

                    - Next I blew all pieces off with air compressor.

                    - Then I wiped everything down with a tack cloth to remove any remaining dust.

                    - Then I coated everything with Star Brite teak oil (I chickened out on the linseed oil).

                    - Several more coats with time to dry in between before re-assembly.

                    - Finally re-assembled with new stainless hardware, and put 2 more coats on while letting bake in the sun.

                    Turned out nice for 22 year old wood. Thanks everyone for the advice!
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • That looks fantastic, great job.
                      2012 GT205
                      2011 X25
                      2019 NXT22
                      2020 NXT20

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                        That thing will be slippery .
                        Why? Too much sanding? Too fine of grit?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by WeekendsR4Me View Post
                          Followed a lot of the advice in the thread and tackled my ProStar teak last weekend.

                          - Started with the nervous task of disassembly. Go very slow removing screws because if any are at an angle, they can chip a piece of the platform when coming out of the recessed hole.

                          - Lay everything out exactly as you disassemble it. Be MOOCD about what goes where throughout the process.

                          - Next I hit everything with 80 grit sandpaper on a belt sander. Got everything to an even wood color. Wear a face mask and glasses. The dust gets on everything and is not healthy to breathe.

                          - Then I touched everything with 120 grit on the belt sander, being very careful on the ends and corners.

                          - Next I blew all pieces off with air compressor.

                          - Then I wiped everything down with a tack cloth to remove any remaining dust.

                          - Then I coated everything with Star Brite teak oil (I chickened out on the linseed oil).

                          - Several more coats with time to dry in between before re-assembly.

                          - Finally re-assembled with new stainless hardware, and put 2 more coats on while letting bake in the sun.

                          Turned out nice for 22 year old wood. Thanks everyone for the advice!
                          Nice job, looks fantastic!
                          Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

                          Comment


                          • Teak Thread- Everything teak in here.

                            Originally posted by RxMC View Post
                            Why? Too much sanding? Too fine of grit?

                            My wife hates ours after use just use teak oil as it gets slippery.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            2012 GT205
                            2011 X25
                            2019 NXT22
                            2020 NXT20

                            Comment


                            • For those doing the linseed oil thing, do you find that as long as it is maintained, you don’t need to do regular power washing or sanding etc?

                              I’m on second season for this method and just added the oil last night and it looks good, I did zero prep, other than hitting pretty hard with air. Boat / platform sees very little sun, all is covered.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
                                For those doing the linseed oil thing, do you find that as long as it is maintained, you don’t need to do regular power washing or sanding etc?

                                I’m on second season for this method and just added the oil last night and it looks good, I did zero prep, other than hitting pretty hard with air. Boat / platform sees very little sun, all is covered.
                                Yes. With the linseed oil/mineral spirits its easy to touch up. I usually hit my with sand paper each year anyway.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X