Teak Thread- Everything teak in here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
    For those doing the linseed oil thing, do you find that as long as it is maintained, you don’t need to do regular power washing or sanding etc?

I’m on second season for this method and just added the oil last night and it looks good, I did zero prep, other than hitting pretty hard with air. Boat / platform sees very little sun, all is covered.
    I am a proponent of the linseed /spirits. probably one of the first few pioneers of using it. I keep my boat in a garage after each daily use. I wipe the platform off with a light spray of 303 after each daily use. That's all I do. About every three years I treat the board with said mixture. That's it.

Note to those following (take it or leave it): Here are a few tips I have learned from mistakes and experience after doing probably a dozen or more boards;
    • A nice sunny day with mid-range humidity / 75 deg F / 50-60% humidity is the ideal condition but that is not critical.
    • What is critical to success: do not let the mixture set on the board more than 8-11 minutes at any time after application. Teak is considered a mostly non-porous wood and it will not absorb the solution beyond that time-frame. After that (due to the solution mixture) it can become sticky and turn to more of a mess than anything. This is where the sanding and start all over comes in. Do not let the solution set on the board more than 8-11 minutes. At that time wipe it clean and dry with shop cloth (no paper towels).
    • Also critical: let that one side set over night (at least 24 hours) before treating the other side.
    • Flip it and do the same on the other side. Let that other side set over night (at least 24 hours).
    • OCD critical:I recommend to not use a cloth pad under the newly treated surface (between the area is is resting) when doing the other side. The cloth pad will absorb some of the newly applied solution and leave a mark but that goes away after the first use. Let the other side dry for 24 hours.

Also critical: I do not recommend a second coat but if you must, treat the surface and leave the second coat on no longer than 3-5 minutes at most . At that time wipe it clean and dry with shop cloth (no paper towels). Let it dry for 24 hours.

I do the same thing to my teak cup holder.

Follow this to the letter or find yourself sanding or be less than satisfied with your results. Beats teak oil hands down, year-in and year-out unless you like oil on your swim clothes and feet, then back in on your carpet, then on your upholstery. Just sayin'.

I never sand and never pressure wash. However I do recommend the pressure wash for prep on an old board. Never had to sand one yet.

$0.02

Attached Files
    waterlogged882
    MC Master Poster
    Last edited by waterlogged882; 06-28-2020, 08:59 AM.
    93 190

Comment

• Thanks guys. Pics look good.
      I likely won’t be wiping it off but it sees very little sun. Hoping to just do annual spring coating. Unless usage goes up to justify mid year coating.
      Looks like I bought WAY too much of the liquids.... I think I’m good for 20 years now

Comment

• Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
        Thanks guys. Pics look good.
        I likely won’t be wiping it off but it sees very little sun. Hoping to just do annual spring coating. Unless usage goes up to justify mid year coating.
        Looks like I bought WAY too much of the liquids.... I think I’m good for 20 years now
        The mixture for one board both sides typically takes me less than 1/2 pint (I mix it in a glass pint jar).

Only thing I can find here at the box store is a half gallon of linseed and a quart of spirits. Yes Sir, you're good for 20 years.

93 190

Comment

• This is my second season with the teak step and first time oiling it, I used 320 grit and a DA sander and 2 coats of Minwax Teak Oil I am liking the look and finish. We will see once i get it in the water and try it out. I just love the look of teak on ski boats
          Attached Files

Comment

• Anyone have a teak deck from a 2015 era X30 that they are looking to get rid of?

Comment

• Originally posted by Skyskiguy View Post
              Anyone have a teak deck from a 2015 era X30 that they are looking to get rid of?
              Teak World has your deck

Comment

• Originally posted by snork View Post
                Teak World has your deck
                I know. Just thought I’d see if there was a used one out there first. Thanks though.

Comment

• Originally posted by BRADP43619 View Post
                  This is my second season with the teak step and first time oiling it, I used 320 grit and a DA sander and 2 coats of Minwax Teak Oil I am liking the look and finish. We will see once i get it in the water and try it out. I just love the look of teak on ski boats
                  Awesome finish! I love that platform.

Mine is not in really good shape, even two hours of sanding with P240 did not help that much.
                  Attached Files
                  Greets from Germany,
                  Felix

Comment

• Just a quick touch-up using 75/25. I'll buy her a beer next year when she reaches age.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• BUMP, another user looking for this thread noted.....

Comment

• Originally posted by 3event View Post
                        BUMP, another user looking for this thread noted.....
                        One of several methods here.

93 190

Comment

• I love this time of year. Spent the weekend getting refurbishing the platform.

Spring doesn’t get any better than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
                            I love this time of year. Spent the weekend getting refurbishing the platform.

Spring doesn’t get any better than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            That looks killer! The wood inlays from the surf edition package is cool as well.
                            2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
                            2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
                            Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Originally posted by uplandbird
                            Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

• Love your teak and it will love you back
                              Attached Files
                              Our 2014 X2 is Sold.

Comment

• Two coats of Linseed/Mineral Spirits
                                1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Working...
                                X