Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dt37803 View Post
    Love your teak
    I thought the idea of using teak is that you don't have to do anything with it. That's why it's used for outdoor furniture. It's pretty awesome stuff.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RxMC; 04-05-2021, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• I've used the mineral spirits/linseed oil process, but last year was short on prep and maintenance time. I still haven't settled an option to keep the sun off it (under canopy but back of boat faces SW so platform still gets exposure) The good news is that the rest of the boat looks great

Teak gurus, how would you start with this condition? Sand with the orbital? What do you recommend before I start the oil ? Looking forward to season start in a few weeks around here!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Start sanding. Harold’ s pissed!

Comment

• Blast off what you can with a power washer then 80 grit for most of the work and finish with 120. Got the before pic, now just need the after.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3event View Post
            I've used the mineral spirits/linseed oil process, but last year was short on prep and maintenance time. I still haven't settled an option to keep the sun off it (under canopy but back of boat faces SW so platform still gets exposure) The good news is that the rest of the boat looks great

Teak gurus, how would you start with this condition? Sand with the orbital? What do you recommend before I start the oil ? Looking forward to season start in a few weeks around here!
            I would also recommend cleaning and brightening between sands to really get it top notch. That's what I did with my swimboard and it turned out excellent!

Comment

• Alrighty....on to 80 and 120. Got some work to do. I'll check about some cleaner and brightener - I believe the local West Marine can help out there.

My typical challenge when I get to the oil is having enough warm-ish and sunny days before it's time to splash the boat. Will cross that bridge when I get there.

Comment

.... how would you start with this condition?
                Pressure wash to clean the mold spore and mildew out of the shallow wood grain.

Maybe I have been lucky...I have never sanded a board, but I am not there to see yours in person to maybe change my thought. If it needs it, sand it to get beyond the damaged wood. Teak is tough as nails but will sand out with an orbital sander. Grit is your call. I'd look at 600-800 as a baseline and see what that does. Did I mention pressure wash (car wash pressure)?

Then mineral spirits and linseed oil combination, but I will say this from experience; read one of several tutorials here about this process. Too much stay time will cause a sticky mess. Just follow the instructions.

Attached Files
                93 190
                (safe click)

Comment

• I see a lot of people that are a fan of the linseed oil combo but I went with the teak-brite cleaner, brightener and sealer and I'm very happy with the end result. Some people said it would be very slippery but after being out on the water last weekend I can personally attest that it is not slippery on mine. Go with your preference.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Since someone also posted about a warranty claim in this thread higher up figure this is a good place to ask. What is the threshold for asking about a replacement due to cracks. Cracks are minor but have only had the boat at our house for a few weeks. Was delivered new to the dealer in January and they stored it for us. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts! Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Our dealer replaced ours after 3 years with almost identical cracks. It honestly wasn’t expecting them to replace it but it never hurts to ask.
                      2016 X30

Comment

• Originally posted by BRADP43619 View Post
                        This is my second season with the teak step and first time oiling it, I used 320 grit and a DA sander and 2 coats of Minwax Teak Oil I am liking the look and finish. We will see once i get it in the water and try it out. I just love the look of teak on ski boats

our 2012 had teak, 2019 glass, 2020 back to teak. looks so much better.
                        2012 GT205
                        2011 X25
                        2019 NXT22
                        2020 NXT20

Comment

• Was finally able to get to work on my platform.

Just sanded and ready:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Ready for Oil.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	2410497

First Coat:

Name:	2 First Coat.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	2410498

2nd Coat:

Name:	3 2nd Coat.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2410499

Something special:

Name:	4 Special Secret.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2410500

Name:	5 ladder 1.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2410501

Name:	6 ladder 2.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2410502

Name:	7 ladder 3.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2410503

Comment

• before and after

Back for redemption......

I've only had 3 free days of suitable weather in about 4 weeks so this has taken more time than expected - boat is sitting in the lift without platform (the rumble sounds pretty sweet running without it installed).

Following Waterlogged's prescription, mostly: Long pressure washer session. Dry several days in garage. Random Orbital with 60grit - pretty extensive - a bit of hand sanding including corners. Starbrite Teak Cleaner. Dry a couple days. 75/25 linseed oil/mineral spirits - 2 coats on the top, one coat on the bottom, following recommended wipe and dry process.

Without a waterline cover, the sun sneaks under the lift canopy later in the day, so I will start drying and 303'ing as part of the daily wipe down process and see how she goes for the summer. Comparing my results now, I might try hand sanding with a finer grit for prep next year depending how it holds up.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Back for redemption......

I've only had 3 free days of suitable weather in about 4 weeks so this has taken more time than expected - boat is sitting in the lift without platform (the rumble sounds pretty sweet running without it installed).

Following Waterlogged's prescription, mostly: Long pressure washer session. Dry several days in garage. Random Orbital with 60grit - pretty extensive - a bit of hand sanding including corners. Starbrite Teak Cleaner. Dry a couple days. 75/25 linseed oil/mineral spirits - 2 coats on the top, one coat on the bottom, following recommended wipe and dry process.

The key to success.

Without a waterline cover, the sun sneaks under the lift canopy later in the day, so I will start drying and 303'ing as part of the daily wipe down process and see how she goes for the summer. Comparing my results now, I might try hand sanding with a finer grit for prep next year depending how it holds up.
                              Purdy...
                              93 190
                              (safe click)

Comment

• Teak Thread- Everything teak in here.

Teak World really knocked this one out of the park. Very pleased with how this custom cushion saver step (matched to the swim platform) turned out. Thank you Teak World!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by PS205Tex; 05-19-2021, 06:36 AM.
                                2008 X14
                                1964 Boston Whaler Nauset
                                1994 PS205, sold

Comment

Working...
                                X