Teak Thread- Everything teak in here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 01star View Post
    The light spray of 303 after a days use really helps to preserve the hard work put into the teak. I think Waterlogged mentioned it and now I do it every time out. It's worked really well for preventative maintenance.
    I did mention that and good on you that you are happy with the results. A fellow can't go wrong with your process.

Board looks nice. Good job.

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

• Hey quick question for those in the know, maybe WL?

How does the 75/25 linseed/spirts mixture compare to what Tommy and crew at Teak World use to finish their boards prior to shipment? I bought a new one and spoke with him on the phone, but can't remember what he told me. I need to refinish my original once we get a decent warm stretch and would like to compare with sheen/color from brand new.

Also, out of curiosity, what would change color-wise if I applied this method to the new board later this season, or at the end of the year?
      ¡Viva 205V!
      2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• Originally posted by brucemac View Post
        Hey quick question for those in the know, maybe WL?

How does the 75/25 linseed/spirts mixture compare to what Tommy and crew at Teak World use to finish their boards prior to shipment? I bought a new one and spoke with him on the phone, but can't remember what he told me. I need to refinish my original once we get a decent warm stretch and would like to compare with sheen/color from brand new.

Also, out of curiosity, what would change color-wise if I applied this method to the new board later this season, or at the end of the year?
        Tommy uses a light oil made for teak (teak oil??). I cannot be certain of what kind. I got something from him today and it was not treated but that is OK. I'll use the Linseed / Spirits. What I have found is the Linseed/Spirits is less oily per se' and it lasts a long time. I like it because it does not track back into the boat, get on cloths, or otherwise leave a trail of application. Other oils seem (to me) a bit more evident of the application.

If I can remember, I'll call him tomorrow and ask.

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

• Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

Tommy uses a light oil made for teak (teak oil??). I cannot be certain of what kind. I got something from him today and it was not treated but that is OK. I'll use the Linseed / Spirits. What I have found is the Linseed/Spirits is less oily per se' and it lasts a long time. I like it because it does not track back into the boat, get on cloths, or otherwise leave a trail of application. Other oils seem (to me) a bit more evident of the application.

If I can remember, I'll call him tomorrow and ask.

Thanks WL!

Any reason I couldn’t go over the top of the new board with the 75/25 as is new?
          ¡Viva 205V!
          2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• Originally posted by brucemac View Post

Thanks WL!

Any reason I couldn’t go over the top of the new board with the 75/25 as is new?
            No Sir.

All good. They will look great. I have done two new ones recently. They turned out just fine. No abrupt changes, etc.

Just follow my recommended steps to the letter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Platform - two.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.1 KB ID:	2704187
            Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-05-2022, 09:18 PM.
            93 190
            (safe click)

Comment

• Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

No Sir.

All good. They will look great. I have done two new ones recently. They turned out just fine. No abrupt changes, etc.

Just follow my recommended steps to the letter.

Click image for larger version Name:	Platform - two.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.1 KB ID:	2704187
              Thanks you! Now just waiting on some warmer weather.
              ¡Viva 205V!
              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• Starbrite teak cleaner, 80 grit on a DA, teak brightener, light 220 grit, 80/20.

I've got about 45 minutes of work in this with drying time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	2705451Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	2705452Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	2705453
                -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• I like the second pic. I don't like the dark wood. Lots of pics of dark, shiny wood platforms in this thread. No knock on what others like, but I think that would look silly on my boat.

Comment

• Originally posted by RxMC View Post
                    I like the second pic. I don't like the dark wood. Lots of pics of dark, shiny wood platforms in this thread. No knock on what others like, but I think that would look silly on my boat.
                    That's unfinished raw teak and wouldn't last a week looking like that in water/sun conditions.
                    -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Working...
                    X