X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CantRepeat
    replied
    Originally posted by RxMC View Post
    I like the second pic. I don't like the dark wood. Lots of pics of dark, shiny wood platforms in this thread. No knock on what others like, but I think that would look silly on my boat.
    That's unfinished raw teak and wouldn't last a week looking like that in water/sun conditions.

Leave a comment:

• RxMC
    replied
    I like the second pic. I don't like the dark wood. Lots of pics of dark, shiny wood platforms in this thread. No knock on what others like, but I think that would look silly on my boat.

Leave a comment:

• CantRepeat
    replied
    Starbrite teak cleaner, 80 grit on a DA, teak brightener, light 220 grit, 80/20.

I've got about 45 minutes of work in this with drying time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	2705451Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	2705452Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	2705453

Leave a comment:

• brucemac
    replied
    Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

No Sir.

All good. They will look great. I have done two new ones recently. They turned out just fine. No abrupt changes, etc.

Just follow my recommended steps to the letter.

Click image for larger version Name:	Platform - two.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.1 KB ID:	2704187
    Thanks you! Now just waiting on some warmer weather.

Leave a comment:

• waterlogged882
    replied
    Originally posted by brucemac View Post

Thanks WL!

Any reason I couldn’t go over the top of the new board with the 75/25 as is new?
    No Sir.

All good. They will look great. I have done two new ones recently. They turned out just fine. No abrupt changes, etc.

Just follow my recommended steps to the letter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Platform - two.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.1 KB ID:	2704187
    Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-05-2022, 09:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brucemac
    replied
    Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

Tommy uses a light oil made for teak (teak oil??). I cannot be certain of what kind. I got something from him today and it was not treated but that is OK. I'll use the Linseed / Spirits. What I have found is the Linseed/Spirits is less oily per se' and it lasts a long time. I like it because it does not track back into the boat, get on cloths, or otherwise leave a trail of application. Other oils seem (to me) a bit more evident of the application.

If I can remember, I'll call him tomorrow and ask.

Thanks WL!

Any reason I couldn’t go over the top of the new board with the 75/25 as is new?

Leave a comment:

• waterlogged882
    replied
    Originally posted by brucemac View Post
    Hey quick question for those in the know, maybe WL?

How does the 75/25 linseed/spirts mixture compare to what Tommy and crew at Teak World use to finish their boards prior to shipment? I bought a new one and spoke with him on the phone, but can't remember what he told me. I need to refinish my original once we get a decent warm stretch and would like to compare with sheen/color from brand new.

Also, out of curiosity, what would change color-wise if I applied this method to the new board later this season, or at the end of the year?
    Tommy uses a light oil made for teak (teak oil??). I cannot be certain of what kind. I got something from him today and it was not treated but that is OK. I'll use the Linseed / Spirits. What I have found is the Linseed/Spirits is less oily per se' and it lasts a long time. I like it because it does not track back into the boat, get on cloths, or otherwise leave a trail of application. Other oils seem (to me) a bit more evident of the application.

If I can remember, I'll call him tomorrow and ask.

Leave a comment:

• brucemac
    replied
    Hey quick question for those in the know, maybe WL?

How does the 75/25 linseed/spirts mixture compare to what Tommy and crew at Teak World use to finish their boards prior to shipment? I bought a new one and spoke with him on the phone, but can't remember what he told me. I need to refinish my original once we get a decent warm stretch and would like to compare with sheen/color from brand new.

Also, out of curiosity, what would change color-wise if I applied this method to the new board later this season, or at the end of the year?

Leave a comment:

• waterlogged882
    replied
    Originally posted by 01star View Post
    The light spray of 303 after a days use really helps to preserve the hard work put into the teak. I think Waterlogged mentioned it and now I do it every time out. It's worked really well for preventative maintenance.
    I did mention that and good on you that you are happy with the results. A fellow can't go wrong with your process.

Board looks nice. Good job.

Leave a comment:

• 01star
    replied
    The light spray of 303 after a days use really helps to preserve the hard work put into the teak. I think Waterlogged mentioned it and now I do it every time out. It's worked really well for preventative maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• theskidevotee
    replied
    This thread rocks! My platform off of my 93 prostar was in ROUGH shape when I bought the boat, didn't know if I would be able to bring it back. So I made one of my many xmas break projects to give it a shot! I took out all of the short dividing slats and belt sanded them individually, belt sanded the whole platform separately, then used the BLO/Mineral spirit 75/25 mix and the results are great! Overall it was a very easy project once I decided what direction I wanted to head in just time consuming. Unfortunately I didn't grab any before pics but the results speak for themselves!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dt37803
    replied
    P.s.a.

Remember when giving the platform a little love don't forget the underside is just as important.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Married2Maristar
    replied
    Found the protocol PDF in another thread

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...highlight=teak

Leave a comment:

• Married2Maristar
    replied
    Is it just me or does FAQ only bring up a search screen, and when searching for teak does no better the. a generic search. Is there no sticky thread for Teak anywhere? I’ve seen about two dozen references to TMCNO1 protocol but can’t find the protocol. Looking for that and the linseed mineral spirit protocol

Originally posted by TMCNo1 View Post
    \

Starbrite can be found at most any marine supply house and a great many marinas and boat dealers.
    At near the top of page you will see a bar with Home, Team Talk, showroom etc, to the right is SEARCH and click on search and then enter "Frequently Asked Questions" on the blank, then click GO and it will take you to the link and search it, till you come across the Swim Platform post.

Leave a comment:

• cookster22
    replied

Here she is, at the mouth of the ‘Hole in the Roof’
    Teak deck held up fine, but she needed some oil when I got home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X