gelcoat repair trailer fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gelcoat repair trailer fenders

Looking for some tips on using gelcoat. I had significant damage to my trailer fenders. Lots of stress cracks and some broken sections. I repaired all of it using fiberglass and opened up the stress cracks. See the first pictures for what it looked like before the gelcoat.

I purchased some Viper Red Spectrum gelcoat. Also added some colloidal silica to thicken the gelcoat as I am filling pretty big cracks on vertical surfaces. So far its been going pretty well. I put one coat on and sanded to see if there were any spots low and put another coat on and need to sand that. One issue I am seeing is some porosity and some specs with color in the gelcoat - I assume its from the silica. My plan is to sand and do a third coat if needed and then my last coat would be just gelcoat brushed on - no silica to make sure I have a perfect surface. Any suggestions/tips? Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	607.3 KB
ID:	2694256 Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	602.0 KB
ID:	2694257 Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	696.6 KB
ID:	2694258 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	750.5 KB
ID:	2694259 ​​​​​​​​
    sigpic
    Kamloops Waterski Club
    www.kwsc.weebly.com

KWSC - I had to do some repairs to my fenders as well. I may be wrong here, but i don't think they are gelcoated. I would recommend chucking that gelcoat in the trash and using conventional painting techniques.

For mine, I sanded them down with 320, then primed using an etching primer, then wetsanded them flat, then used a single stage urethane paint from Sherwin Williams. Worked great.

Comment

Hmmm, interesting. Pretty sure they are gelcoat and I spent a bunch to get the right color so will stick with that for now…
      sigpic
      Kamloops Waterski Club
      www.kwsc.weebly.com

Comment

Also, gel is meant as a spray applied product. Or at least, thats how its installed in a shop. I think you will have a tough time getting it flat with brushing. You could wet sand it all flat and then buff it, but those fender will be a pain to buff.

Just my $0.02

Comment

I agree with Lakedrum on this. I had a chunk taken out of the fender on my X14 and I did the fiberglass work and sprayed them with PPG.

Comment

If you want to replace the tops with HydraDeck, they have a pattern for a 2008 dual axle I created. I'm sure it covers a few years.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	6FB76E98-55D0-4C48-8495-C9D1FCA9C20E.jpg Views:	19 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	2694366
            Last edited by Double D; 11-17-2021, 03:52 PM.
            If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
            1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Could you mix up some fiberglass epoxy with a color matching resin? I know several colors are available. Then you could sand to your liking and buff to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by SJ02 View Post
                Could you mix up some fiberglass epoxy with a color matching resin? I know several colors are available. Then you could sand to your liking and buff to finish.
                A fellow did a heck of a job here to give you an idea that it's not a difficult task.

93 190
                (safe click)

Comment

Wow, I forgot about that thread.
                  2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
                  "Freedom is beneficial to everyone equally" - Ron Paul
                  Taxation = Theft

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8000.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	2697228Yea, that worked great when I originally did it. Just last summer I went through the entire process again and repaired the dual axle trailer fenders....as well as our flipper single axle.

So did 4 fenders last summer and turned out great!

I'll see if I can dig up some more photos......
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Ski-me; 01-12-2022, 02:19 PM.
                    - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Nice work on those fenders. I've done a couple fender repairs but never as large as the ones you've tackled. Wish I had an indoor space like that to work in. It would certainly make our long winters feel shorter.

Comment

I did have to wait for warmer weather though. Tried doing some work when it was cold and couldn't get things to set very well!

Finally painted them last summer and new LED lights.
                        - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Working...
                        X