No announcement yet.

Prostar 200 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first pic of the side rail there was a nick and i noticed the grey underneath, so i sanded it with 400grit and there is more gray. (Note The top white layer is very thin and the gray is even thinner, its basically equivalent to one coat of paint.) When I sanded through the gray there is a nice white gel underneath.... FYI when i sand the top white layer its chalky, so i know its gel....

Comment

Nice find, let me know when your ready for the upholstery
      NEW SKINS ...
      Jim - "Upholstery Guy"
      (865) 995 0607 Hm (BSURE 2 LVMSGE)
      (865) 679 2246 Cph (ANYTM UPTO 9PM EST)
      [email protected]

sigpic
      I've got badass '93 MC BF 200 w/ a Yahamie ProV 200.
      M O S T A W E S O M E C R A F T E V E R B U I L T
      'Luv'n life behind a Barefoot 200'
      atlfootr

Comment

Looks great, congrats. As an Outboard fan (I own a 1990 ProStar200 Outboard) especially a Matercraft Outboard Boat, I can't wait to see the progress. Good luck, keep the pictures coming.

Comment

Originally posted by jdubwall View Post
          I think/pretty sure its just the gel coat that is cracked... Once it gets warm enough out where i can have the garage open I'm gonna epoxy it with some fiberglass mesh....
          It doesnt look look like the crack is just in the gel to me. Is that the hull or is that pan set down into it? Either way, the proper repair would involve grinding the gel off in that area and repairing with glass. Glass will not stick as good to the old gel as it will to the glass below it.

Comment

Its the bottom/tunnel part of the hull..... There are no cracks underneath the boat i looked thoroughly to make sure. What you mean by (pan set down into it)? I will grind the glass off to get to the base Glass..... Thanks for the useful info.... My other question is the tunnel area of the boat has some spider glass cracks in them some of them are from me walking in the tunnel area while working on the boat.... whats the best way to fix this? Epoxy/Paint/? Anyone have any good thoughts for me? Thanks again

Comment

After I got the boards up I noticed a good crack in the center floor (tunnel area).. The floor is solid underneath and on top.. I think/pretty sure its just the gel coat that is cracked... Once it gets warm enough out where i can have the garage open I'm gonna epoxy it with some fiberglass mesh....
              Unfortunately, it may be worse than you think. I have seen this type of crack in the bilge area and what I found out is not too nice. There is actually wood between the bilge pan and the hull. If water gets between the bilge and the hull it saturates the wood and when it freezes in the winter you get this type of crack. I am told that the bilge pan shows the cracks first as it is not as strong as the hull. The ice forces the bilge pan up and causes the cracking.

You need to get the water out of this cavity before fixing the cracks or they will return again.

I thought that MC stopped using wood in their boats midyear 1983. Can anyone else elaborate on this?

Comment

Thanks for the info... I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense if there is wood under there the top is going to crack first.... It is completely dried out but I'm going to sand down the gelcoat and get to the glass and make sure all is clean and dry before I make the repair... I really appreciate the imput guys..... Keep them coming... Here is the picture i attached before but I indicated where the crack is exactly...
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info... I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense if there is wood under there the top is going to crack first.... It is completely dried out but I'm going to sand down the gelcoat and get to the glass and make sure all is clean and dry before I make the repair... I really appreciate the imput guys..... Keep them coming... Here is the picture i attached before but I indicated where the crack is exactly...
                  Just curious, how do you know that it is dried out? The only way to tell is to cut an access hole/panel in the bilge pan to inspect the wood and the space below. If you just make the cosmetic repair without fixing the underlying issue, you will end up right back where you are now. If you do cut out an access of some sort, you will need to make it watertight when you are done so that the bilge water does not get into the hole.

Another point to ponder........if, in fact, there is water in this space below the bilge pan, how did it get there? You may want to look closely for any possible points of entry. You are far enough into this project that if there are other underlying issues, it would be cost effective to fix them now.

Please keep us posted with notes and pics as you go!

Comment

Its dry from what i can tell..... I have the heat on in the garage when i've been working on it... when i would push next to the crack water would come out.... No water is coming out anymore.... I'm not going to fix this till spring when it warms up so it will dry it up... But like you said i'll never know until i get a better look at it.... I'm gonna sand down the gel and get to the fiberglass and see forsure what it looks like... but as long as the wood in there is dry it should be fine to lay glass over the top... I gotta make sure i get it sealed up good.... How the water got in there is ???? The hull is solid underneath i looked it over thoroughly... so it had to originate from the pan area.... We'll see what happens when i dig in a little further... Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.... keep them coming

Comment

Has anyone ever replaced the wood flooring between the 2 stringers??? I need some imput on what type of wood to buy for that section of flooring? Any help would be greatly appreciated.... THANKS!!

Comment

I dont know what kind of wood it might have been originally, but if you use MDF that is heavily coated in CPEX preferably, or a similar epoxy works really well as a floor.

Comment

Here are a few pictures of the project up to date..... Sorry its been a while been busy with work and trying to get the boat ready by the end of May...... Hope you like them.....
                          Attached Files

Comment

More pics, got the gas tank installed and new carpet laid down.......
                            Attached Files

Comment

Coming along very nicely!

Comment

Lookin REALLY Good...If the Dells ever get there heads out of you know where and start using MasterCraft again. That will be a nice boat to bring over there, if that boat could talk I am sure it would have a FEW stories to tell

[email protected]
                                James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
                                Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
                                (813) 996-BAWS (2297)

Comment

Working...
                                X