Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Wax/Polish does everyone use and Why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Wax/Polish does everyone use and Why?

    I have used all sorts of different waxes through the years on my sailboats back in Michigan, but I have never found a wax that I believe makes a tremendous difference. I know there is a difference between polishes and waxes, but I still am a wee bit confused on the subject. What do you all of you use? What works, and what does not? I have 85 Stars and Stripes that has been wet sanded a few years back, and it does looks good, but I am always trying to get it to look just right and shiny. Thoughts?

  • #2
    I use Collinite Fleetwax on mine. It seems to hold up very well. This year I applied it in the spring after a complete wet sand and compound. I had no trouble with stains or water spots all year. I applied a fresh coat this fall after winterizing.

    Comment


    • #3
      I had been using Meguair's Flagship with good results then tried McLube Hullkote Speed Wax late Summer and thoroughly impressed with it. Water seems to jump off the boat making for quick spot-free wipe downs after pulling it out of the water (definite plus with the hard water here in Central Texas). The Hullkote has citrus for cleaning power and makes quick work of any road grime including oil/tar from trailering.

      http://www.mclubemarine.com/hullkote/
      Mike B

      Comment


      • #4
        I have been using Meguiars Flagship Wax for the last couple years and been happy with it.
        OH-IO!

        Comment


        • #5
          Footin,
          I bought this wax (Mequiars) for my new X25 but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Does it come off fairly easy??
          “A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.”.....but it's a lot of fun!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bwag1961 View Post
            Footin,
            I bought this wax (Mequiars) for my new X25 but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Does it come off fairly easy??
            Yes, on and off easy. Apply thin.
            OH-IO!

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the info Footin. Sorry to jump in on your post Sam!!

              Go Bucks!
              “A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.”.....but it's a lot of fun!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Polish

                Originally posted by SamS&S85 View Post
                I have used all sorts of different waxes through the years on my sailboats back in Michigan, but I have never found a wax that I believe makes a tremendous difference. I know there is a difference between polishes and waxes, but I still am a wee bit confused on the subject. What do you all of you use? What works, and what does not? I have 85 Stars and Stripes that has been wet sanded a few years back, and it does looks good, but I am always trying to get it to look just right and shiny. Thoughts?

                It depends on what you want to accomplish? Based off your post it seems as if it's nice, clean and shiny, but you want to make sure it stays this way. It sounds like you're looking for a good sealer, not polish or wax.

                Here's kind of a quick breakdown on what each does.

                wet sand- takes the top coat off, will remove blemishes and oxidation that are found at the top
                compound - same as wet sand just not as abrasive
                polish - made to enhance the shine (not made to remove oxidation or blemishes)
                Sealer - produced to seal up the pores so the work you done will last (the better the product the longer it last)

                A good resource is autogeek forum. You'll be able to see lots of results.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bwag1961 View Post
                  Thanks for the info Footin. Sorry to jump in on your post Sam!!

                  Go Bucks!
                  No Problem! I have used Flagship myself on my sailboat after it had new paint. Really loved it for that application. I could have shaved using my reflection in the hull. However, I have not used it yet for the S&S. Curious if there is anything else out there. Paste wax vs. liquid? I used to work at West Marine in Michigan, and I thought I had a handle on all the differences but I find myself lost. There are tons of opinions! That is why I am seeking out those who have experience and can tell me what works and what does not. Ugg, there is to much!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the thoughts JGraham! There is a slight haze from last summer, and a few little scratches here and there. I have never heard of a sealer in regards to gelcoat? What do you mean by a sealer and do have any examples? Thanks much!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bwag1961 View Post
                      Footin,
                      I bought this wax (Mequiars) for my new X25 but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Does it come off fairly easy??
                      Sorry! More questions are arising! Why would you want it to come off? Is not the point for it to stay on?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SamS&S85 View Post
                        Thanks for the thoughts JGraham! There is a slight haze from last summer, and a few little scratches here and there. I have never heard of a sealer in regards to gelcoat? What do you mean by a sealer and do have any examples? Thanks much!
                        If there's a haze it could be from compound, actually what is called swirl marks. I use 3M swirl eliminator for all swirl removers. Its by far the best in my opinion.

                        I would do a medium grade compound, then follow up with 3M SE, then use a sealer. So with this being said you will be waxing your boat three times in a row. It takes a while but will last a whole season if you use spray wax after each use.

                        Here's an example of a good fiberglass sealer.

                        http://www.autogeek.net/m31-701.html

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Collonite Fleetwax. An absolute pita to put on but by far the best wax I've used. Switched to boat bling hot sauce for wipe downs and it does a good job on our mucky water.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yellow carnuba wax, applied and removed by hand.



                            Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

                            Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

                            FAQ


                            Be kind. Have fun.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                              It depends on what you want to accomplish? Based off your post it seems as if it's nice, clean and shiny, but you want to make sure it stays this way. It sounds like you're looking for a good sealer, not polish or wax.

                              Here's kind of a quick breakdown on what each does.

                              wet sand- takes the top coat off, will remove blemishes and oxidation that are found at the top
                              compound - same as wet sand just not as abrasive
                              polish - made to enhance the shine (not made to remove oxidation or blemishes)
                              Sealer - produced to seal up the pores so the work you done will last (the better the product the longer it last)

                              A good resource is autogeek forum. You'll be able to see lots of results.
                              I use Klasse for a sealer on cars/boats etc... expensive but cheap, in that you use such a small amount a bottle will last you years....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X