• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it in Seattle. Pretty cool and rare inboard
    - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
      Muratic acid is $7 a gallon. And the strongest, it’s what we use at the dealership.

Way cheaper than starbrite. Used muratic acid for 10 years on my old Ski Nautique that stayed in the water all summer. Just make sure your on gravel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
        Toilet bowl cleaner

^^This^^

Or you can pay 10x more for On/ Off hull cleaner, which does wonders: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/maryk...-quart--127961
        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Be careful with anything you use. My ex brother in law got muriatic acid in his eye one time and it wasn't a pleasant situation.
          Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
            Toilet bowl cleaner

^^Toilet bowl cleaner works like a charm. I see you're in the midwest, Menards had hull cleaner on clearance when if still in inventory.

Comment

if you use acid or starbrite, be careful of drips on concrete driveways

Comment

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
                Muratic acid is $7 a gallon. And the strongest, it’s what we use at the dealership.
                Is that for oxidation or the crap that gets on the hull when it's sitting on the water over the season?

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
                  Is that for oxidation or the crap that gets on the hull when it's sitting on the water over the season?
                  The buildup on the hull.

Like stated above don’t get it on concrete you care about, and don’t let it sit on paint

Comment

I use Y10 (oxalic acid) - deals with the gelcoat discolouration from leaving in the water in about 5 mins.

Comment

I have loved using FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrum...s%2C255&sr=8-4.

Put it on, let set and wipe it off boat will be white again! You will need to re-wax the boat or it will not stay white for long

Comment

You need to compound,polish, and use a sealant if you want long term results. If you use the 50/50 toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide or any of the other cleaners it will come back again after a few outings

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
                          sometimes a hull won't be just oxidized but will have calcium/lime deposits making it look chalky - the acids will eat that off but not cut the actual oxidized gel coat off.

Comment

Reviving this old thread a year later as I tried a few things and am making progress on getting the hull white again. I tried collinite compound last year, and then Starbrite hull cleaner, but it was no match for the heavy yellow discoloration on the lower half of of the boat. At the end of this season, I tried toilet bowl cleaner to no effect. So I bit the bullet and spent ~20 hours wet sanding everything below the red line. The color is now white again, but I either need to go back over a few areas with a finer grit, or possibly apply a stronger wax or something because I can still see some scratch marks. My process for wet sanding is that I tried to start with 800 grit but needed to keep lowering the grit until the 20 year old crusty yellow stuff came off. Many may audibly gasp but I needed a ​​real light touch using 180 grit to remove the outer shell of grime. I then followed with 300, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, then collinite compound and then a real heavy coat of collinite wax. The color looks great but not the shine. It is very possible I either ruined the gelcoat with the low grit sandpaper, or maybe the grime having sat on the boat for so many years had already taken care of it. Then again I'm hoping I can possibly touch up with high grit wet sanding and get the shine back. Posting a few pics and wondering if anyone has experience anything similar?
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20211029_104428.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	2694436

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211115_125203.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	2694439
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dparry View Post
                              Reviving this old thread a year later as I tried a few things and am making progress on getting the hull white again. I tried collinite compound last year, and then Starbrite hull cleaner, but it was no match for the heavy yellow discoloration on the lower half of of the boat. At the end of this season, I tried toilet bowl cleaner to no effect. So I bit the bullet and spent ~20 hours wet sanding everything below the red line. The color is now white again, but I either need to go back over a few areas with a finer grit, or possibly apply a stronger wax or something because I can still see some scratch marks. My process for wet sanding is that I tried to start with 800 grit but needed to keep lowering the grit until the 20 year old crusty yellow stuff came off. Many may audibly gasp but I needed a ​​real light touch using 180 grit to remove the outer shell of grime. I then followed with 300, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, then collinite compound and then a real heavy coat of collinite wax. The color looks great but not the shine. It is very possible I either ruined the gelcoat with the low grit sandpaper, or maybe the grime having sat on the boat for so many years had already taken care of it. Then again I'm hoping I can possibly touch up with high grit wet sanding and get the shine back. Posting a few pics and wondering if anyone has experience anything similar?
                              You are on the correct track. 2000, then a heavy duty compound with lamb's wool pads, then a machine finish compound, then wax.

93 190

Comment

Originally posted by dparry View Post
                                Click image for larger version Name:	20211029_104428.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	2694436

Remember- you're removing gelcoat and it's not an extremely thick coating, so you can eventually reach the fiberglass if you use coarse sandpaper. Best to remove the crust with chemicals, then start at 600 grit unless it has deep gouges, which need their own type of care.

It's a brutal job. Anyone who complains about the cost of correcting a hull's finish should be forced to do it and every time they get something wrong, they need to drop and do 50 pushups.

Comment

Working...
                                X