Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement Boat Decal Poll - what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I'm stripping the side decals and installing the raised satin black MasterCraft logo, would you replace the transom decals with this (chrome) or am I trying too hard?
    You should be consistent, either all black or all chrome

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post
      Question on polishers. Been reading a lot, watching Youtube and scouring the TT archives, but one question I can't seem to answer is:

Can I get away with just a Rotary (Orbital) Polisher? Like the Makita 9237C for BOTH cutting (wet sand and/or wool compounding) AND polishing with foam pads? Or do I really ultimately need both a rotary and a DA tool to accomplish both jobs?

Most videos I see of the "pros" show a rotary to wet sand and compound and then finishing up with a DA and polish on a foam pad. Motivation behind the question is purely from a cost savings perspective as well as I don't believe I will be able to eliminate ghosting from decal removal with a DA. Anybody?
      1) Wet sand with a dual action polisher (like the Porter Cable 7424XP). Do not sand with the Makita 9237C, you will sand your gel coat right off
      2) Compound with the Makita and a compounding wool pad
      3) Polish with the Makita and a polishing wool pad
      4) Forget the DA with foam pads, this is for automotive and is not aggressive enough for marine gel coats.

I used 800 grit then 1500 grit 3M wet sanding discs on mine and it totally eliminated the ghosting but took a few passes. I'd recommend you try it in one spot starting with compounding to find the lease aggressing method to remove the ghosting.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Rita View Post
        You should be consistent, either all black or all chrome
        Respectfully disagree. My X14 had black decals on the side, and like all of the X14's in '09 had the chromex on the transom. I loved the look.
        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Should make the boat look more up to date and cleaner by removing the original decal and installing the Mastercraft decals on the sides and back. Waiting for pics!

Comment

Nice. Can't wait to see the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by danwell View Post
              Nice. Can't wait to see the outcome.
              Thanks, me too!

Boat got winterized on Monday and then had a template created for a new custom cover on Tuesday. Dropped her off at the upholstery shop yesterday morning and hope to have her back sometime mid to late October.

Decals will go on once I get her back and have a chance to detail/condition the interior.
              Attached Files
              ¡Viva 205V!
              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

I pulled the vinyl off my x30 yesterday.

Quite a bit of ghosting once I wiped it down with the adhesive remover.

Got out the compound, and did a few passes to see how it worked out.
                It was better, but maybe one more pass per side.

Ordered domed numbers with the 4”x 44” Mastercraft in the Chrome across the side. Will probably get the vinyl 4x4.5” x30 to put on the end.

Still unsure if I want to keep the stern decal or not. I will be replacing the transom decal with my boat name, done in the domed Mastercraft font.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                  Respectfully disagree. My X14 had black decals on the side, and like all of the X14's in '09 had the chromex on the transom. I loved the look.
                  I like the combination of black and some chrome as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterfoilcraft View Post
                    I pulled the vinyl off my x30 yesterday.

Quite a bit of ghosting once I wiped it down with the adhesive remover.

Got out the compound, and did a few passes to see how it worked out.
                    It was better, but maybe one more pass per side.

Ordered domed numbers with the 4”x 44” Mastercraft in the Chrome across the side. Will probably get the vinyl 4x4.5” x30 to put on the end.

Still unsure if I want to keep the stern decal or not. I will be replacing the transom decal with my boat name, done in the domed Mastercraft font.
                    Looks good. YMMV, but I had to wet sand mine. You can still see a tiny bit of ghosting in the right light and at the right angle, but no regrets and I don't think anybody's going to see it once the new raised decals go on. I removed the smaller stern decals as well, because I think it's redundant if you're going with "MasterCraft" down the middle of the hull.

I'm assuming you measured, but is the 44in Domed Numbers decal going to fit properly before the transition to the black on the stern?

Originally posted by LeviFinn View Post
                    I like the combination of black and some chrome as well.
                    Me too! Can't wait to get the boat back!
                    ¡Viva 205V!
                    2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post
                      Looks good. YMMV, but I had to wet sand mine. You can still see a tiny bit of ghosting in the right light and at the right angle, but no regrets and I don't think anybody's going to see it once the new raised decals go on. I removed the smaller stern decals as well, because I think it's redundant if you're going with "MasterCraft" down the middle of the hull.

I'm assuming you measured, but is the 44in Domed Numbers decal going to fit properly before the transition to the black on the stern?

Me too! Can't wait to get the boat back!
                      Share some welcome back photos when you can!

Comment

Originally posted by LeviFinn View Post
                        Share some welcome back photos when you can!
                        Definitely! Hoping to get the call soon. I know they were closing in on it last week.
                        ¡Viva 205V!
                        2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Working...
                        X