How to buy Wetsounds amplifiers for nearly 1/2 price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to buy Wetsounds amplifiers for nearly 1/2 price

Before I owned a MC, I had a Yamaha jet boat and a guy on the Yamaha forum found out how to buy Wetsounds amplifiers for nearly half the cost. Yamaha uses Wetsounds for their factory speakers and amplifiers and the amplifiers from the factory are configured for DSP and use a proprietary connector. Yamaha also offers Wetsounds equipment as an accessory with a totally different part number than the amplifiers that come installed in the boat from the factory. If you do a search for the below numbers you will get the standard WS amplifier that does not include the DSP feature. I just bought a SYN-DX4 for $525.00 from plus tax from boats.net, anywhere else that amp is over 1K. I post a picture of the UPC coded and it's the same number that can be found on the WS website.

Yamaha WS accessory part numbers.

Wet Sounds SYN-DX Series Marine Amplifiers
    SBT-DX200-00-17 = SYN-DX 2ch
    SBT-DX400-00-17 = SYN-DX 4ch
    SBT-DX600-00-17 = SYN-DX 6ch

Wet Sounds Hydro-Tech X (HTX) Series Amplifier
    SBT-HTX20-00-17 = HTX 2ch
    SBT-HTX40-00-17 = HTX 4ch
    SBT-HTX60-00-17 = HTX 6ch

Pics of the SYN-DX4 amp that I just bought.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220427_193152.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	2703543

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220427_193021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	836.8 KB ID:	2703545

Interesting, I looked at this online and also noticed that the DX2 is $654.29 but the DX4 is $550.79. Very strange that the 4 channel is cheaper than the 2 channel since the MRSP is $999 and $1079 respectively.
    2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Half price sounds about right from an unauthorized source with no factory warranty or support.

Comment

Originally posted by MLA View Post
        Half price sounds about right from an unauthorized source with no factory warranty or support.
        I disagree and this is the reason I was hesitant in make this post. I did not buy this from an unauthorized source.

This is considered a Yamaha OEM accessory and is covered by Yamaha's accessory warranty which is 1 year instead of 2 that Wetsounds offers.

Is an extra year of warranty worth $500.00?

As far as support goes, I have over $3500.00 worth of other Wetsounds components in my boat and did call them with a question on the receiver and wasn't asked where I bought it from.

Browse Yamaha Boat Accessories (shopyamaha.com)

Comment

If only Yamaha had chosen HTX series!

Last edited by brucemac; 04-29-2022, 01:50 AM.
          ¡Viva 205V!
          2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Last edited by brucemac; 04-29-2022, 11:10 AM.
            ¡Viva 205V!
            2003 X2 MCX

Comment

This is interesting. Wetsounds dealers, along with most other major brands, all have to adhere to MAP (minimum advertised price). Dealers can sell it for whatever they want, they just can't advertise below a certain price. The only way this is an authorized seller is if there is some loophole because they are selling it under a Yamaha part # or if they just don't care, but this would mean they are risking their ability to sell wetsounds.

I would be very careful passing this info around. MLA is a wet sounds dealer and if he wanted, could easily make a stink about it. Those prices are very likely just above dealer cost and your local resources like MLA cannot compete with it. The companies do take it seriously, too. Long story short, JL contacted my old company over a new amp I sold on ebay. This was the first and only amp I sold, under my own name, and it still came back on the company I worked for.

Comment

Originally posted by TarheelMC View Post
                This is interesting. Wetsounds dealers, along with most other major brands, all have to adhere to MAP (minimum advertised price). Dealers can sell it for whatever they want, they just can't advertise below a certain price. The only way this is an authorized seller is if there is some loophole because they are selling it under a Yamaha part # or if they just don't care, but this would mean they are risking their ability to sell wetsounds.

I would be very careful passing this info around. MLA is a wet sounds dealer and if he wanted, could easily make a stink about it. Those prices are very likely just above dealer cost and your local resources like MLA cannot compete with it. The companies do take it seriously, too. Long story short, JL contacted my old company over a new amp I sold on ebay. This was the first and only amp I sold, under my own name, and it still came back on the company I worked for.
                Be careful about what? Is there something illegal about buying a factory accessory? I provided a link to a Yamaha corporate factory accessory page.

I'm not sure where the confusion is, this amp is a Yamaha accessory and being sold by Yamaha. I can buy this amp from Yamaha directly, through a Yamaha dealer, or through an online retailer that carries Yamaha parts and accessories. Yamaha uses Wetsounds in their boats and you can buy the OEM version and accessory version, which is what I bought. I used the Yamaha part number in a Google search to get the best price, there is nothing shady about it. If any Wetsounds dealer has an issue with this, maybe they should take their issue up Yamaha, they are the one's selling it.

Comment

First off, I don t give a crap about what Yamaha parts does, im not going to nark then out, lol. My concern is the consumer that thinks theyre getting an amp from an authorized dealer, which I doubt Yamaha is. They are an OEM buyer. Beyond installing the gear in boats on the production line, they can provide dealers with warranty replacements and dealer level upgrades. I doubt yamaha is authorized to sell to the general public on line.

Someone buys amp, has issue, contacts Wet Sounds, Wet sounds says its an OEM amp, need to go through Yamaha. Yamaha parts dont give a crap, blows off buyer, buyer trashes Wet Sounds for not standing behind there product. Simple story.

Comment

Be careful about posting online because the more public it is the more likely it will get shut down. This is absolutely something I would share with my inner circle of friends, but not on a public forum. Wetsounds isn't going to come after you for buying your gear at half price, but your avenue to get it will get shut down. MLA may not report them now, but if this were to be a huge deal and people no longer purchased from him and only brought him wetsounds to install, he might change his stance. This was a huge thing back when I was in the industry. It is absolutely impossible to compete with companies that essentially drop ship electronics which is one of the reasons why so many brands are now protected by MAP. It helps protect dealers and the brands integrity as MLA mentioned.

Do what you want though. Places like that don't bother me nor affect my business.

Comment

What am I exactly sharing that should only be shared with my inner circle? I shared a link to an accessory that a major boat manufacturer sells on their website. What is actually going to get shut down, Yamaha's accessory business? If MLA wants to take on Yamaha, a multi billion dollar corporation, I wish him luck. Maybe MLA should join the Yamaha jetboaters forum and scold them since that's where I found out about this. Most people who buy their own stereo equipment install it themselves, so MLA isn't losing any customers. If anything this shows how much authorized dealers make on a sale.

I'm done with this thread and if there is something that I posted in this thread is illegal or shady, report it to the admins if it bothers you so much.

Comment

This thread is kind of hilarious...
                        -Tolman
                        '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
                        '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

LOL, yall need to leave me the F out of this discussion of ratting anyone out, please.

Comment

This thread is the perfect example of why I consider jumping ship on TeamTalk.
                            Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Originally posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
                              This thread is the perfect example of why I consider jumping ship on TeamTalk.
                              Sincere apologies if my immaturity contributed to your angst.
                              ¡Viva 205V!
                              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Working...
                              X