Tower speaker setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower speaker setup

If I end up getting 4 oem speaker cans can I put hollow point hlcds in 2 and reg jl in other 2? Or what would be best setup? I currently have 2 cans with no speakers.

I have some bullet hollow point 770's I could sell you.

Comment

Why stop at 2? The HLCD is going to be a louder, different sound.

I believe the can lip must be trimmed to accommodate the HLCD basket so be prepared for that.
      1991 MariStar 240sc, 454, tower, WetSounds, Krypt and Rockford Fosgate

Comment

Originally posted by markmcfarland View Post
        If I end up getting 4 oem speaker cans can I put hollow point hlcds in 2 and reg jl in other 2? Or what would be best setup? I currently have 2 cans with no speakers.
        I would not mix an HLCD with a conventional speaker on the tower. The output is considerably different so the HLCD will dominate. If the HLCD dominates then you really won't benefit from the smoother conventional speaker attributes. Plus, significantly dissimilar (different output) speakers do not sum effectively as you will only hear the dominant speaker. Are you going to overdrive the conventional speaker in hopes that it will keep up with the HLCD, or attenuate the dominant HLCD speaker to protect the conventional speaker and thereby reduce the HLCD's projection advantage? Either would require four discrete amplifier channels just for the tower. Both options are poor. Prioritize which objective is more important, near field SQ or long range projection. Make your compromise and go with one speaker.

David
        Earmark Marine
        https://earmark-car-audio.myshopify.com

Comment

Thanks David. That was what I was wanting to know.

Comment

no trimming needed, just some drilling for bolt holes. I did a post a few years ago -http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24950

Comment

Working...
            X