Wired remote install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired remote install

I'm getting ready to install a wired remote on my prostar similar to this one and I need advice on how to go about it.. Behind the panel there is a pre drilled hole in the fiberglass for these types of things.. Anybody know the best way to line it up before I start drilling into the panel?? The panel appears to be dang near impossible to take off.. Thanks.
    Attached Files

I could be wrong but believe on my 209 there was 2 nuts holding it on. You could trace the hole onto the plate while its still bolted to the panel, find the center, and use that point as your arbor center point. You can also just buy the one with a hole from great lakes or ebay.

Comment

There are two threads that I recall, here somewhere from two and (the other) three years back that addresses this install.
      93 190
      (safe click)
      John 14:6
      (safe click)

Comment

I'd make a little cardboard template to use to cut the hole. Cut a hole in a piece of cardboard that the remote fits into. Now trace this onto the panel. Maybe use a hole saw if you have one that size to cut the hole. Otherwise maybe a jig saw. Ideally you'd use a small reciprocating saw with a blade made for plastic.

Removing the panel isn't hard. You won't need to totally remove it to get behind it.

Matt

Comment

I found the nuts on the backside but I'm not sure that I can get a wrench to all of them so hopefully I'll just need to remove or loosen 1 or 2

Comment

I found the nuts on the backside but I'm not sure that I can get a wrench to all of them so hopefully I'll just need to remove or loosen 1 or 2
            I'm not laughing at you.....I'm laughing with you. When I took my complete interior apart, dash, and all the panels out on my 209 I wanted to cut somebody for how tight things were.

You should be able to get your hand in there to get one off. Once you get one off the panel should pivot on the other and you can rotate it far enough to get through the actual remote hole to reach the other one.

I still think if it were me I'd take a sharpie and try and trace the hole from the inside out while the piece was still in place. From there you could find the center point and use a hole saw to cut the hole on the cover perfectly aligned with the hole on the actual panel. Either that or you can put a bit of red lipstick on the hole after the cover is removed and then place it back on. The lipstick will leave an imprint of where the hole was onto the cover.

Removing the panel isn't hard. You won't need to totally remove it to get behind it.
            Be very very careful while trying to get to the bolts. If you need a hair more space there is a screw at the bottom of that side panel that let the panel come out a bit but the top is fragile. The top mount holes will actually rip out from the panel quite easily. Its prob the weakest point on any trim in that boat! Ask me how I know

If none of this makes sense sorry I'm only half way through my first cup of coffee.

Comment

Haha this actually helps quite a bit, I'm glad somebody shares my frustration. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
              X