XMD1 cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMD1 cutting out

I have a Clarion xmd1 head unit hooked up with the factory clarion speakers, 2 tower speakers, and a 10" sub. The tower speaks and sub are run off of a 4-channel amp. When I bump the volume up to about 60%, the system shuts down until I decrease the volume. This is in a 2002 prostar 197. I just have one ac delco battery. Any suggestions as to what may be causing the shutdown?
    2002 Prostar 197, Monteray Blue, Perfect Pass, Zero Flex Tower w/ Speakers & Lights, Bimini, Amp/Sub, Transom remote

Did you change anything or is this just a new issue?
    sigpic
    "America is about speed. Hot, Nasty, bad-a$$ speed"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Mine does this when I've drained the battery...

Comment

Originally posted by 32offer View Post
        I have a Clarion xmd1 head unit hooked up with the factory clarion speakers, 2 tower speakers, and a 10" sub. The tower speaks and sub are run off of a 4-channel amp. When I bump the volume up to about 60%, the system shuts down until I decrease the volume. This is in a 2002 prostar 197. I just have one ac delco battery. Any suggestions as to what may be causing the shutdown?
        in addition to what others have suggested, it is possible that your amp is clipping. Check the gains on the amp (turn down) or the power supply is inadequate.
        you can, disconnect the subwoofer from amp and see if results change. This would indicate (to me) that the power supply needs a boost.

Comment

Originally posted by 32offer View Post
          It could be so many things. Water damage. Low voltage. Thermal. Shorted speakers or a speaker that is on the brink of failure. Too low of a speaker load impedance. You just have to isolate each component and potential cause one at a time.
          I'm assuming that all audio shuts down at once including the speakers driven by the Clarion XMD1 internal power?
          How many total in-boat speakers is the Clarion XMD1 driving directly?
          Does just the audio drop out momentarily or does the Clarion HU lights shut off as well when you lose audio?
          Does the Clarion HU still shut down with the amplifier RCA cables disconnected?
          Have you measured the supply voltage beforehand and at the moment the audio shuts down? Note, you want to measure the voltage at both the supply location and at the audio electronics primary supply wiring location (right at molex or at terminals). There could be a large difference.
          Does the system shut down only when the boat is not running or also when running?

Comment

All audio shuts down, not just the tower speakers and sub. the head unit is just driving the 4 factory speakers. I have not measured any of the voltage, impedance... It happens both when the boat is running and not running. I have turned the bass way down, and it still does it. but I have not disconnected the amp altogether. The tower speakers are new, but it did it before I put them in. The other components were in the boat when I bought it. I'll try to isolate whether it's the tower speakers or the sub or both that may be causing it. thanks
            2002 Prostar 197, Monteray Blue, Perfect Pass, Zero Flex Tower w/ Speakers & Lights, Bimini, Amp/Sub, Transom remote

Comment

Yea, you gotta start removing stuff from the equation. My first step would be to remove the amp and test the head unit by itself running "its" speakers.

Comment

Working...
              X