JL AUDIO Bluetooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JL AUDIO Bluetooth

I'm looking at buying a JL AUDIO MBT RX bluetooth receiver for our X45. From what I've read it plugs directly into the amp. Will this device affect my factory head unit at all? I want to be able to play music from my phone when desired without plugging it in, but also still want that option of just listening to local radio thru my head unit. I know a few of you guys are running the MBT RX on your boats, so any info would be appreciated.

I plugged it into the aux rca inputs on the back of the radio. Had to go into the setting in the radio to make the signal strength match. But it was quite easy. Great upgrade.

You look like I need a beer!
    2001 Prostar 195 Sold
    2011 Ski Nautique 200 Current
    2007 X45 LY6 Current

Comment

Do you have the factory radio in your boat?

Comment

Originally posted by CoachTil View Post
        What radio do you have? "factory radio" depends on the year of the boat and what options may have been available that year from which dealer.

eg. I have a '13 x2 that came with a clarion head unit. a friend has a '13 x25 with a fusion head unit.
        2013 X2 ss w/ pro package

Apparently, I have a totally different sense of humor. -- Andrew Eldritch

Comment

If your factory radio has rca inputs that would be a better way to install it.

Comment

It's an 08 X45. Pretty sure the head unit is Clarion. I need to pull it out and look but id imagine it has rca ports.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachTil View Post
              Yes I have the factory head unit. Mine is the Clarion CMD-4. So I would assume your has at least that or better. I had to unplug the aux input that comes from the drivers area though for it to work.

You look like I need a beer!
              2001 Prostar 195 Sold
              2011 Ski Nautique 200 Current
              2007 X45 LY6 Current

Comment

help needed

I bought the MBT-RX and was hoping it was simply plug and play, seems it is a bit more.

1)based on the attached CMD-4 wiring diagram did you attach it to #7 and #8?
                2) if so, what it the next steps?
                3) I also hooked it up directly to the batttery, should I have connected to one of the radio wires in?

Thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Criswhit View Post
                  I bought the MBT-RX and was hoping it was simply plug and play, seems it is a bit more.

1)based on the attached CMD-4 wiring diagram did you attach it to #7 and #8?
                  2) if so, what it the next steps?
                  3) I also hooked it up directly to the batttery, should I have connected to one of the radio wires in?

Thanks
                  You're correct, should be attached to 7&8. That will allow you to use the BT module as the AUX source. Just flip the source to AUX on the head unit, and you're in business.

The power wire on the BT module should attach the the red power wire on your head unit. This way the BT module powers on when the head unit powers on, and it's protected by a fuse.
                  -Mike

Comment

The power wire on the BT module should attach the the red power wire on your head unit
                    This is not wire I would suggest. Its just a turn-on trigger for the head-unit and is often times originating from the helm BUSS. This is likely a "dirty" signal and on a boat with dual battery bank, may be coming from the other bank then what the rest of the audio is drawing from. The BT's red wire effects the audio quality and needs to share the same battery reference as the rest of the audio gear. The head-units constant B+ is the most ideal circuit to connect to.

Comment

Originally posted by MLA View Post
                      This is not wire I would suggest. Its just a turn-on trigger for the head-unit and is often times originating from the helm BUSS. This is likely a "dirty" signal and on a boat with dual battery bank, may be coming from the other bank then what the rest of the audio is drawing from. The BT's red wire effects the audio quality and needs to share the same battery reference as the rest of the audio gear. The head-units constant B+ is the most ideal circuit to connect to.

MLA, could you please explain what or where the "constant B+" circuit is on the head unit? Thanks so much!

Comment

the what is its a power wire thats hot all the time. the where is its part of the head-unit harness along with the red that I dont suggest using, the black ground and the speaker leads. Its yellow and should be labeled if you look at just about any modern head unit's installation instructions.

Hope that helps.

Comment

the what is its a power wire thats hot all the time. the where is its part of the head-unit harness along with the red that I dont suggest using, the black ground and the speaker leads. Its yellow and should be labeled if you look at just about any modern head unit's installation instructions.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot thanks. I have seen the yellow wire you are referring to. Is the yellow hot all the time even with the ignition turned off? If it is the BT will not cut out when switching the ignition from run to aux correct?

Comment

It should be battery direct on a simple single battery setup or on common output of a master battery switch. If not, then the constant B+ is circumventing the red switched ign.

Comment

I'm sorry... I meant the constant power wire, I just always forget which one that is.
                              -Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X