Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp question: adding tower speakers

Hey all!

I did a search to try to find answers, but the search criteria is too broad to narrow it down so I appreciate the help even if this has been covered 100x.

I'm thinking about adding some tower speakers to 1) bring the visual line of the tall Zero Flex tower down a bit (basically for appearance, I want to close the gap from the tower to the bimini...see attached picture) and 2) fill out the sound "in" the boat (they will not be intended to get music back to the rider).

Current setup:
    4-Polk DBs 6501: 100W RMS. 4ohms

1-Hifonics Nemesis "NX440 110W x 4". Manual shows 50W x 4 @ 4ohms. This powers the Polks, so the Polks may be underpowered.

1-Kicker 12" CompVR sub

1- Hifonics Brutus BX500D (500W D-class Mono). This powers the sub.

Future setup:
    Add 2-tower speaker pods: Each 150W RMS @ 4ohms

To power the tower speakers, it's been suggested that I get a 400W 4-channel amp and bridge it (mono) to get 200W to each tower speaker. If I do that, I can use my Nemesis amp for the tower speakers and get a new amp for the Polks.

BUT...if I'm going to be buying an amp anyway, I was hoping to get answers if there is a single amp I can use to properly power the boat speakers AND tower speakers. The sub would remain on its existing amp.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    2002 MasterCraft X10
    2004 MasterCraft Prostar 205v 'Wakeboard Edition'
    2018 MasterCraft XT20 50th Anny

it's been suggested that I get a 400W 4-channel amp and bridge it (mono) to get 200W to each tower speaker.
    Sure, but to which speakers is this relevant to? To a pair of 10" HLCD, not ideal, to a pair of 8" HLCD or coax, bout right. To a pair of 6.5" coaxial......thats a fair amount of head room there.

It would actually be stereo.

I was hoping to get answers if there is a single amp I can use to properly power the boat speakers AND tower speakers
    Your existing 4 chnl could do this. Again, need to know what speakers are going on the tower, before determining if its ideal or not, but your current 4 chnl amp could do this. Especially since your tower speaker goals are to have them as contributors to the in-boat zone.

Comment

Originally posted by MLA View Post
      Sure, but to which speakers is this relevant to? To a pair of 10" HLCD, not ideal, to a pair of 8" HLCD or coax, bout right. To a pair of 6.5" coaxial......thats a fair amount of head room there.

It would actually be stereo.

Your existing 4 chnl could do this. Again, need to know what speakers are going on the tower, before determining if its ideal or not, but your current 4 chnl amp could do this. Especially since your tower speaker goals are to have them as contributors to the in-boat zone.
      Thanks for the reply.

Currently looking at trying the Kicker KMT674 ( KMT674 link... ) and that was Kicker's recommendation for powering them. The person I corresponded with said they don't have an amp to power both the tower and boat speakers (together) and suggested two separate amps. They recommended a 4-channel for the boat speakers and the KX400.4 ( KX400.4 link... ) bridged mono as a 2-channel for the KMT674.

I want to power all boat and tower speakers to their RMS values, so I planned for a new amp. If I can keep the install "clean" and power the speakers fully by running 2 amps (1-sub, 1-boat/tower speakers), I'd like to explore that.
      2002 MasterCraft X10

Comment

Just a rule of thumb, you don't need a high end amp on full range speakers, less quality, more quantity on full range (more watts). The opposite is true for low end subs, quality sound is key.
        Just FYI. Hope it helps

Comment

The KMT76 is a great tower setup. However, you dont want to bridge it on most any 4 chnl amp. Although its listed as 4 ohm, it has a tendency to dip low and put an amp into protect mode. You would want a 2 chnl amp or a 4 ohm thats 1 ohm stable, and the Kicker KM400.4 is not. A good amp is the Kicker KXM400.2. A better amp would be the Wet Sounds HTX-2.

Now, if you want to make an upgrade all the way around including to the new KMT67 pods, go with the Wet Sounds Syn-dx6. 100W rms for each of the four in-boats and 150+W rms for the tower pods.

Comment

Now, if you want to make an upgrade all the way around including to the new KMT67 pods, go with the Wet Sounds Syn-dx6. 100W rms for each of the four in-boats and 150+W rms for the tower pods.
            The amp looks perfect for my setup. The price ($800-900) was more $ than planned. Do you know of anything more budget friendly with similar performance?
            2002 MasterCraft X10

Comment

The Wet Sounds HTX-6 will give you the same for the four in-boats, but a little less for the KMT67. If you are not hung on the numbers, it will work fine. I can assure you, there will not be an audible difference in those wattage numbers for your application. Those KMT67 will perform just fine powered below their RMS. I drive mine with the KXM400.2.

Comment

The Wet Sounds HTX-6 will give you the same for the four in-boats, but a little less for the KMT67. If you are not hung on the numbers, it will work fine. I can assure you, there will not be an audible difference in those wattage numbers for your application. Those KMT67 will perform just fine powered below their RMS. I drive mine with the KXM400.2.
                Thanks for the continued help.

For the HTX-6 are you basing KMT67 based on running on separate channels at 100W RMS each? What about bridged mono (300W)?
                2002 MasterCraft X10

Comment

Again, it would be stereo, not mono as you have a distinct left and right speaker.

To reiterate, the KMT has a nominal impedance below 4 ohm. It will not suite a 2 ohm stable amp if bridged. it will likely put it into protect mode from time to time. 300W rms would be excellent wattage, but its not suggested to bridge a load thats less than 4 ohm.

Comment

how many hours on her now phat?
                    ¡Viva 205V!
                    2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post
                      how many hours on her now phat?
                      Thanks again MLA.

Brucemac...498? Most of the time (now) it's the wife and I, so we get our runs in and then chill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                      2002 MasterCraft X10

Comment

Originally posted by P-hat_in_Cincy View Post
                        Thanks again MLA.

Brucemac...498? Most of the time (now) it's the wife and I, so we get our runs in and then chill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                        That's great bud. Still think you own one of the nicest MC's out there. Hope all is well.
                        ¡Viva 205V!
                        2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Finished up the tower speaker install. Put up Kicker KMT67. I'm powering them and the boat speakers with the Wet Sounds HTX-6 amp. Also decided to upgrade the EQ to the Wet Sounds WS420SQ.

First time listening out of the garage and tower up and I'm pleased!

MLA...thanks for the advice and direction. It was all spot on!

2002 MasterCraft X10

Comment

you sure gotta perty boat...
                            08 X30 - deader than dead...and crispy.

Comment

Looks good!
                              We defy the mafia!

Comment

Working...
                              X