Wet Sounds AMP(S) for (4) REV 8 TOWER speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Sounds AMP(S) for (4) REV 8 TOWER speakers

The majority of consensus I see on the internet is to go with one SYN-DX2, but I am not convinced because the threads are 3+ years old. Furthermore the new Micros are out now.

What are your thoughts for the following:

With 4 Rev 8s tower speakers it looks like you would end up with the following:

$ 570 One Syn-DX2: 2x375 at 2 Ohm = 188 Watts/Speaker
    $ 680 One Syn-DX2.3: 2x600 at 2 Ohm = 300 Watts/Speaker
    $1,140 Two Syn-DX2s: 2x200 at 4 Ohm = 200 Watts/Speaker (probabley not worth doubling the price for the additional 12 watts per speaker)

$ 650 Two STX Micro-4: 2x280 at 4 Ohm = 280 Watts/Speaker
    $1,050 One Sinister SD2: 2x620 at 2 Ohm = 310 Watts/Speaker

From this, it appears to me the way to go is two Mirco-4's at 4 Ohm or the Syn-DX2.3 at 2 Ohms...? Also, as you know, Lake Havasu City is EXTREMELY hot, and I do not what heat to be an issue on the boat. (Patrick at Wet Sound recommends One Sinister SD2)

Thanks!

I would go with one SD2. More than enough power to cover what you have and keep temps down, will also support 4x rev10s if you decide to upgrade in the future. JL HD750/1 is another good choice if you want to jump brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun R View Post
      I would go with one SD2. More than enough power to cover what you have and keep temps down, will also support 4x rev10s if you decide to upgrade in the future. JL HD750/1 is another good choice if you want to jump brands.
      Agreed, I'm running Two HD750/1 for my Wet Sounds 3some (Rev410 and 2 Rev10s). It's plenty of power. The JL also has Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply which means it delivers the same power from 11 to 14.5 volts.

Comment

although there are some advantages to running an amp at 4 ohm per chnl as compared to 2 ohm, you will not hear a 15W per speaker difference and I dont think the 4 ohm v's 2 ohm is worth the additional $570. The Syn-DX2 is a solid and and good power for 2 pair of 8" HLCD.

With the release of the Syn-DX2.3HP, I think it deserves a serious look for 2 pair of Rev-8.

Comment

+1 to 1 SD2. Thats what I used.
          2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

Comment

I'm a big fan of the JL Audio HD750/1 running HLCD tower speakers. But it doesn't fit this application. Rule that one out in this case.

Rule out the Micro amplifiers.

Best choice to drive two pair of Rev8s is one Wetsounds SD2.
            Second place is one Wetsounds SYN-DX2.3HP.

Comment

STX Micro 4 JL mx500/4

Why would you say the Wet Sounds STX Micro 4 and JL MX500/4 Micro are out? Wet Sounds are saying they can put these in a insulated box (no air flow around them), run them hard, with no heating issues at all.

Comment

I talked to wetsounds techs before I got mine. Was 2 years ago. Told them price not really matter. They recommended the sinister series sd-2. They said by far best choice at that time. The sd2 is a $1000 amp though.

Comment

My 4 Rev8s are powered by a SYN2 and IMO they rock. I have been told they are under powered but I'm not going to lie, I cant tell at all.

Comment

Originally posted by havasuonthelake View Post
                    Why would you say the Wet Sounds STX Micro 4 and JL MX500/4 Micro are out? Wet Sounds are saying they can put these in a insulated box (no air flow around them), run them hard, with no heating issues at all.
                    Class D amplifiers are going to all be the identical efficiency within +/- a few %.
                    The size and mass of the heatsink is proportional to the amount of energy that must be dissipated. And 20% of the energy leaves the amplifier via the chassis/sink. So the amplifier size and weight is going to be related to the power. The mini/micro amplifiers are made for special applications and do an excellent job within that context. However, driving tower HLCDs is a different type of job. And overly-simple & under-qualified power specs do not tell the entire story.

Comment

SD2 is a lot of amp for rev8s...
                      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                      For Sale:
                      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Wet Sounds reply

David, this was wet sounds response:

"Two STX Micro-4: 2x280 at 4 Ohm = 280 Watts/Speaker on Rev 8s
                        One SD6 on 8 6.5s (145watts each) and 12 inch sub 585 watts
                        Or a Syndx6
                        That would be killer setup. I just did not suggest micro as most customers want the bigger amps. However the Micro packs a punch and stands up to extreme heat. I’ve personally seen the amp zipped inside a cooler for hours jamming full range at high gain without issue."

That is why I ask about the Micros, but I don't see anyone using them.

What is your thoughts on the SYN‑DX‑2.3HP, looks like a big upgrade to the SYN DX2?

Comment

So let's assume for a moment that a micro/mini amplifier makes zero performance compromises, which I don't buy. If two bridged Micros are about the same rated power and about the same cost as a single stereo SYN-DX2.3HP, why would you want to populate eight inputs versus two?

Seems to me that the SYN-DX2.3HP is coming into focus.

Comment

Ive used a couple of the STX4-Micro amps. One on a pontoon to drive 2 pair XS-650 and another on a duck boat driving a pair of Rev-8 bridged. Both applications came out very good. Pleased with the performance of these amps. With that said, I have to agree with david about the use as a tower amp for HLCD.

Thats a small package to deliver 500+ W/RMS to a boat zone thats typically one of the hardest worked zones on a boat. It may work fine, no issues for a couple years. Over time, that load may take its toll on the amp. At nearly the same cost as the Syn-DX2.3HP, its a no brainer IMO.

Also, dual bridged amps means lots of Y's signal cables and complex tuning to get it all gain matched. A single 2 chnl thats going to deliver the same wattage for the same price but in a larger chassis.

Comment

Syn-DX2.3HP

Thanks for the input. I don't want to use something that has been proven to work. I understand why Wet Sounds recommended the SD2 right from the start, the power is more than enough, top of the line, and $1,000+; their second recommendation was the SYN-DX2. What I don't understand is why they did not recommend the SYN-DX2.3HP over the SYN-DX2?

Comment

Working...
                              X