X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MC25 View Post
    But... but..
    Don't beat them up too bad.. they are at least trying to help out.. but yes quality control comes into play when there is back talk IMO... either it doesn't happen or it does and if it does then someone hasn't done their job correctly.. these should all be tested and certified before they go anywhere.. any high end speaker company provides a readout of each speakers performance from the factory... I know because my Dali's have the charts for each successive S/N... I would expect no less from this effort... otherwise you are just paying for someone saying hey we rock the loudest, cleanest system... TRUST us!

A Single vendor integrated system is not a long term solution for the buyer IMO..

1. Klipsh goes out of business.. you are outa luck... not saying they will but what do you do then?
    2. after your warranty is up then what? you don't get to shop around and replace it with a better component in 5 years when that amp goes poof..
    3. what happens when they don't make that model anymore... and they only made it for 1000 X23's that were sold.. you are S*(toutof luck...
    4. you are being forced to upgrade to the most expensive version to get basic features

Just like anything if you only have on vendor.. one day that only vendor is your worst nightmare.. well now it will cost $8k for that new system that was 4K... what are you going to do company? as a customer? IMO competition is the best outcome for anyone..

Heck if Mastercraft didn't have competition we might only have a 190 ;o))

No offence to Klipsh or any other vendor... but a manufacturer should insist there be a universal platform you can plug in the best audio parts available.. heck if you don't like the sound of these but you love the sound of JL or Wetsounds or whatever you're SOL.. That just can't be a good thing...
    curver900
    MC Maniac
    Last edited by curver900; 02-11-2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by curver900 View Post

No offence to Klipsh or any other vendor... but a manufacturer should insist there be a universal platform you can plug in the best audio parts available.. heck if you don't like the sound of these but you love the sound of JL or Wetsounds or whatever you're SOL.. That just can't be a good thing...
      I'd have to agree. Proprietary single source integration will be problematic once we switch model years and these things age. Look no further than VDIG and Perfectpass. VDIG whats that? Perfect pass who???

Just wait till someone need to replace one of the displays out of warranty...Ouch

Comment

• [QUOTE=curver900;1395824] these should all be tested and certified before they go anywhere.. any high end speaker company provides a readout of each speakers performance from the factory... I know because my Dali's have the charts for each successive S/N... I would expect no less from this effort... otherwise you are just paying for someone saying hey we rock the loudest, cleanest system... TRUST us!

It's a lot easier to measure a speaker that's in a small package than a whole boat with an audio system when other options are available that could alter the performance, even if only by a small amount. Also, this (mobile electronics) is isn't the same as home or pro audio- the requirement for showing the specs isn't the same and the way they're stated isn't standardized to the extent they were in the past- the FTC has relaxed its requirements and many specs are basically meaningless- power output? It's a free-for-all.

A Single vendor integrated system is not a long term solution for the buyer IMO..

1. Klipsh goes out of business.. you are outa luck... not saying they will but what do you do then?
        2. after your warranty is up then what? you don't get to shop around and replace it with a better component in 5 years when that amp goes poof..
        3. what happens when they don't make that model anymore... and they only made it for 1000 X23's that were sold.. you are S*(toutof luck...
        4. you are being forced to upgrade to the most expensive version to get basic features

I don't see Klipsch going under- they were bought by a larger corporation after buying Jamo and sales are still strong. Points 2 and 3, I agree with. Point 4 is a lot like Cable or Satellite TV.

Just like anything if you only have on vendor.. one day that only vendor is your worst nightmare.. well now it will cost $8k for that new system that was 4K... what are you going to do company? as a customer? IMO competition is the best outcome for anyone..

Sony solved that problem before it became a problem, back in the '70s- they wanted to provide cables with their tape machines, so they bought from a few suppliers, ramped up demand to one of them and eventually, ONLY bought from that one. After that company's decision to only sell to Sony and their other customers went to someone else, Sony stocked up and began to order less, causing a drop in business for the cable supplier that couldn't be reversed. Sony bought the company.

This whole thing could be a non-issue. Some people are OK with the offerings as a package, but what's happening with the audio systems is that a small number are trying to have the ability to customize it to a greater degree and that doesn't work for a manufacturer. Cookie-cutter operations make money, custom may, but only if there's a high degree of control over what's possible. These aren't really 'custom' boats- if they were, they'd be even more expensive.

The easy way to make it possible to achieve higher SPL and more control is to provide more power than anyone could possibly need but speakers will die- they can't survive unlimited power input or equalization that tries to make them do the impossible. With off the shelf equipment, there are basically two options- achieve the desired response or the SPL- at some point, it becomes more difficult to reach both. The cost to personalize the system for all boat buyers would be prohibitive and it's hard make everyone happy with a 'good/better/best' approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by osmonet View Post
          I'd have to agree. Proprietary single source integration will be problematic once we switch model years and these things age. Look no further than VDIG and Perfectpass. VDIG whats that? Perfect pass who???

Just wait till someone need to replace one of the displays out of warranty...Ouch
          Why don't these comments apply to cars? Replacing options like audio, gauges and other electronics in new cars isn't as easy as it was- they even had a 'radio delete' option, which is long gone. Now, most of this stuff is Yes/No.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimN View Post
            Why don't these comments apply to cars? Replacing options like audio, gauges and other electronics in new cars isn't as easy as it was- they even had a 'radio delete' option, which is long gone. Now, most of this stuff is Yes/No.
            I think its hit or miss with cars on this. In some cases, there is enough volume and no IP leaving aftermarket to supply parts on the back end of the model year. In other cases, its OEM only, and that leaves the consumer with less choices and more $$ out of pocket.

A recent example: My MDX has active suspension, and would you believe that there is no aftermarket source for shocks. That leaves the dealer only option at $1500 a pair. Now that same model w/o the active suspension, shocks are available from multiple aftermarket manufacturers for as low as $60/pair. Whats the difference? Maybe volume, maybe proprietary single source vendor, maybe IP protection? Dont know, but I'm not looking forward to replacing my leaking shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimN View Post
              yea but I am not talking about a $4k upgrade to some tower speakers... ;o) for my car....

IMO it applies to cars as well... but my car isn't 6 figures either .. and they aren't selling me a 8+K sound package... that is real money...
              curver900
              MC Maniac
              Last edited by curver900; 02-13-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=JimN;1395872]
                Originally posted by curver900 View Post
                these should all be tested and certified before they go anywhere.. any high end speaker company provides a readout of each speakers performance from the factory... I know because my Dali's have the charts for each successive S/N... I would expect no less from this effort... otherwise you are just paying for someone saying hey we rock the loudest, cleanest system... TRUST us!

It's a lot easier to measure a speaker that's in a small package than a whole boat with an audio system when other options are available that could alter the performance, even if only by a small amount. Also, this (mobile electronics) is isn't the same as home or pro audio- the requirement for showing the specs isn't the same and the way they're stated isn't standardized to the extent they were in the past- the FTC has relaxed its requirements and many specs are basically meaningless- power output? It's a free-for-all.

I concur but when you are shelling out that kind of money and you are saying it is tuned for that boat then every boat with that system and that boat model should sound exactly the same... right? so there should be a way to provide that result in a document form... to prove you tested it and it performs as it should just my opinion...

I don't see Klipsch going under- they were bought by a larger corporation after buying Jamo and sales are still strong. Points 2 and 3, I agree with. Point 4 is a lot like Cable or Satellite TV.

[I]they may have but that doesn't mean they won't still fail look at Sears, Gandermountian,
                Kmart... and we never see the failing... till the fold..
                . [/I]

I don't have cable or Satellite... and just because they do it doesn't make it right

Sony solved that problem before it became a problem, back in the '70s- they wanted to provide cables with their tape machines, so they bought from a few suppliers, ramped up demand to one of them and eventually, ONLY bought from that one. After that company's decision to only sell to Sony and their other customers went to someone else, Sony stocked up and began to order less, causing a drop in business for the cable supplier that couldn't be reversed. Sony bought the company.

[B]This whole thing could be a non-issue. Some people are OK with the offerings as a package, but what's happening with the audio systems is that a small number are trying to have the ability to customize it to a greater degree and that doesn't work for a manufacturer. Cookie-cutter operations make money, custom may, but only if there's a high degree of control over what's possible. These aren't really 'custom' boats- if they were, they'd be even more expensive.

I guess I am poor because a 6 figure boat is EXPENSIVE to me... My point isn't custom sound, but here are the standard inputs for any vendor to use.. I.E. Linux or iPhone apps they have a platform and you have a UI that is standard... for any custom code... I guess what I am saying is you have a standard platform and you can use Klipsh to connect or JL or Sony or whatever... and you can order the cookie-cutter Kiipsh and not mess with it...and Mastercraft or Natique or whoever provides the UI to the stereo vendors, like network standards... 801.2 etc...

The easy way to make it possible to achieve higher SPL and more control is to provide more power than anyone could possibly need but speakers will die- they can't survive unlimited power input or equalization that tries to make them do the impossible. With off the shelf equipment, there are basically two options- achieve the desired response or the SPL- at some point, it becomes more difficult to reach both. The cost to personalize the system for all boat buyers would be prohibitive and it's hard make everyone happy with a 'good/better/best' approach.
                I agree with this as well... it should be up to the consumer... competition is the best way tot get the best product... Great insight..

Comment

• Klipsch KMC1SU Radio in 2018 NXT22 remote available?

Any idea where to find the remote (KMC1RC) for the radio in the 2018 NXT22?

Comment

• Originally posted by osmonet View Post
                    I think its hit or miss with cars on this. In some cases, there is enough volume and no IP leaving aftermarket to supply parts on the back end of the model year. In other cases, its OEM only, and that leaves the consumer with less choices and more $$ out of pocket.

A recent example: My MDX has active suspension, and would you believe that there is no aftermarket source for shocks. That leaves the dealer only option at $1500 a pair. Now that same model w/o the active suspension, shocks are available from multiple aftermarket manufacturers for as low as $60/pair. Whats the difference? Maybe volume, maybe proprietary single source vendor, maybe IP protection? Dont know, but I'm not looking forward to replacing my leaking shocks.
                    Part of the lack of active suspension options depends on how it was designed. They're likely electromagnetic, so the options are limited. They need sensors, a computer, a harness, ferrofluid....it's not a cheap shock system and if the controller is screwy, it's gonna be a hard, or extremely soft and bouncy, ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoMC View Post
                      Any idea where to find the remote (KMC1RC) for the radio in the 2018 NXT22?
                      I'm also curious if the remote can be added later to the premium stereo in the XT series... Anyone know?
                      '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
                      (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
                      '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
                      www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

• A little piece of info I found out recently.... it's good news for anyone wanting to do a different system on a boat with the upgraded system.

The head unit functions, and remote controls, are not ASA/Klipsch. They are the ICE system from Murphy. This is great news. The ICE system is made to interface with any aftermarket setup.

Basically, if you wanted to, you could remove the whole Klipsch system, and install something from scratch very easily. You'd still have touchscreen control (because the head unit functions, zone control, and remotes, are all integrated with the Murphy touchscreen in the boat). The only thing you would lose, would be the digital sound processor that is integrated with the Klipsch setup downstream from the HU.

How did I figure this out? Tige is running the same screen, the same black box, and the same exact remotes, and they all still have the Murphy enovation controls stickers on them. I went to murphys website, and poof, there is all the hardware.

This is really good news, because it means the system is all integrated by one manufacturer. This makes a huge difference on reducing communication issues, and the likelyhood of "bugs"

It also means, you can install any Amps and speakers you want. You just need to get a wiring diagram for the connector on the ICE black box. (Or just look in a new Tige)

With all of that said, I did get my XStar, and I tested out the audio...... with the exception of wanting a little more bass, the system is really good IMO.

Comment

• ^Thanks 440. That should be helpful to many who may have hesitated on the new generation boats due to uncertainty over the integrated/proprietary Klipsch systems.

I believe Klipsch suggested otherwise, ie: that one could only do an aftermarket system that stood alone and was not integrated into the touch screens.

Ahem, so where the heck is your Xstar thread with pics?

Comment

• In fairness to the answers from klipsch, I can see why they wouldn’t want someone splicing into/ jumping into the setup and bypassing the DSP and such. I also haven’t double checked my Star to make sure the black box is, in fact, the Murphy unit. But I will. I do know the remotes are Murphy ICE remotes so far though.

It was one of my main worries with the new system as well....... It does make perfect sense for them to do it this way though, and sets my mind at ease about having less integration issues.

I should verify this 100% first......

I’ll have pics of the boat soon. Just finishing up the prep, ceramic coating, and cleaning it up first.

Comment

• Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
                              With all of that said, I did get my XStar, and I tested out the audio...... with the exception of wanting a little more bass, the system is really good IMO.

I just recently water tested my new 50th Aniv. Xstar, and feel the same way. The Klipsch sounds nice and clean. Just lacks bass output and high volumes. Can't expect much more from an OEM set up that's using 300 watt IB subs.

Please let the community know if you find the schematic for the Murphy/ASA system. I too am looking at tapping into a clean low level audio signal, and running a big mono amp and a ported sub or 2 in the passenger storage locker. The 11" Klipsch woofers are really only good for mid bass, not sub bass.

Comment

• You know what is needed for all the owners that are not Audiophiles, BUT still love heavy bass and load music???......We need one of you guys that knows your S**t to figure out a sweet setup for adding onto the OEM premium audio package and give us a play by play instruction on what to buy and how to install it. This way we can take your directions to a local car stereo place, give it to them and then show back up a few hours later, pay the bill and be happy!!

Volunteers??

Comment

Working...
                                X