Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Klipsch, I just picked up my 18 today, with the klipsch stereo and speakers. I had an amp and subwoofer installed. Internal speakers and sub are powered by the 5 channel amp. The speakers are very clear. But when the stereo is off, there is a slight buzz coming out of the speakers. They sound like very soft
    Static is coming out of them, even though the stereo deck is off. Is that normal?

Comment

To Klipsch, I just picked up my 18 today, with the klipsch stereo and speakers. I had an amp and subwoofer installed. Internal speakers and sub are powered by the 5 channel amp. The speakers are very clear. But when the stereo is off, there is a slight buzz coming out of the speakers. They sound like very soft
      Static is coming out of them, even though the stereo deck is off. Is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by wallnut21 View Post
        Are tower speaker pods cast aluminum or billet?
        All of the tower pods and cans are billet aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by LABlue View Post

I can tell you that there is virtually zero noise associated with the Klipsch audio system. It is extremely quiet. Any noise heard would be caused externally and would require in-boat troubleshooting and more details on the set-up.

What model boat did you purchase and what Klipsch audio package was ordered?

What amp and sub did you have added? Was this a dealer add-on of Klipsch products or aftermarket gear? Who did the installation (dealer, third-party, self)?

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
            FM modulator on a 100k dollar boat.... no chance
            I totally understand. Just wanted to provide both options that are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Klipsch View Post
              I can tell you that there is virtually zero noise associated with the Klipsch audio system. It is extremely quiet. Any noise heard would be caused externally and would require in-boat troubleshooting and more details on the set-up.

What amp and sub did you have added? Was this a dealer add-on of Klipsch products or aftermarket gear? Who did the installation (dealer, third-party, self)?

I have only sat in a few 2018's and one of the first things I wanted to see/hear was the new audio. The boats I have been in had the same exact issue with static coming out of the speakers.

Comment

A stereo shop who was referred by my dealer and does audio work for that dealer installed the sub and amp. The package ordered was the basic Klipsch stereo deck with 4 interior speakers. The amp is a Infinity REF-4555a and the sub is a JL Audio CS112TG.

Comment

Wait you can add on the basic stereo without klipsch amps?!
                  Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                  Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                  2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                  For Sale:
                  2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

I guess.... I don't know much about audio stuff. Guy said he boosted the speakers by hooking them up to the amp. And the sub is powered off the amp. Said something about a 5 channel amp, so I can add tower speakers when I'm ready.
                    Also, there was something about "digital". I think this amp has some kind of digital connection or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by LABlue View Post
                      A stereo shop who was referred by my dealer and does audio work for that dealer installed the sub and amp. The package ordered was the basic Klipsch stereo deck with 4 interior speakers. The amp is a Infinity REF-4555a and the sub is a JL Audio CS112TG.
                      Did the installer connect the source unit's speaker level outputs directly to the amplifier's high-level inputs?

Have you reviewed the noise issue with the installer?

Comment

Wait, so you can add aftermarket amps to the basic Klipsch system? Same for aftermarket sub?

Comment

Did the installer connect the source unit's speaker level outputs directly to the amplifier's high-level inputs?

Have you reviewed the noise issue with the installer?
                          I think the 'static' may be something other than excessive input signal level but if it was connected the way you asked, it could be corrected by disconnecting the speaker negative wires, leaving only the positives. At least, it could if the input impedance is consistent with what has been used for decades.

I think it's far more likely to be a ground loop or routing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                            Wait you can add on the basic stereo without klipsch amps?!
                            The Klipsch source unit has speaker-level outputs for use in the base package (source unit and four speakers). You could connect these wires to an amplifier's high-level inputs. They are terminated to plug into the boat harness, so you would need to have a custom interface made to connect from the Klipsch source unit to blunt wires that could be connected to the high-level inputs; and then an interface from the boat harness to the amp's speaker-outputs. Most audio shops do not have the proper housings/terminals/crimp tools to make such an interface.

The other concern is that random installations of power amplifiers will likely lead to noise issues (just as the OP has) due to how/where power & ground are obtained and ran.

For clarification - you cannot use the DSP module with any aftermarket amplifier. Also, you cannot interface through the Murphy touch panel to aftermarket amplifiers and would lose features like zone controls, activity mode, etc. from the premium systems.

I know it will come off as biased, but I'll say it anyways. If you're going to add amps, subs and tower speakers, you're doing yourself a disservice trying to integrate aftermarket gear versus opting for the premium sound package. I strongly suggest getting a proper demo of a premium system beforehand so you can truly appreciate the fidelity of the system and the functionality therein.

Comment

The Klipsch source unit has speaker-level outputs for use in the base package (source unit and four speakers). You could connect these wires to an amplifier's high-level inputs. They are terminated to plug into the boat harness, so you would need to have a custom interface made to connect from the Klipsch source unit to blunt wires that could be connected to the high-level inputs; and then an interface from the boat harness to the amp's speaker-outputs. Most audio shops do not have the proper housings/terminals/crimp tools to make such an interface.

The other concern is that random installations of power amplifiers will likely lead to noise issues (just as the OP has) due to how/where power & ground are obtained and ran.

For clarification - you cannot use the DSP module with any aftermarket amplifier. Also, you cannot interface through the Murphy touch panel to aftermarket amplifiers and would lose features like zone controls, activity mode, etc. from the premium systems.

I know it will come off as biased, but I'll say it anyways. If you're going to add amps, subs and tower speakers, you're doing yourself a disservice trying to integrate aftermarket gear versus opting for the premium sound package. I strongly suggest getting a proper demo of a premium system beforehand so you can truly appreciate the fidelity of the system and the functionality therein.
                              If you're personally involved with the design/implementation of the Klipsch system, do you take into consideration the fact that the people installing this don't have enough training in AC/DC circuits with a concentration on ground issues and minimizing interference from various sources? If you're not training the factory personnel in how to find noise sources using simple devices and how to ground the system correctly, you're only going to see more of this.

IMO, dealers need to hire car audio installers with the required training and a proven record of successful installations to work on boats- they usually know how to install a system without noise and it also makes troubleshooting electrical problems much easier- it did for me and I worked for a MC dealer that also sold Malibu in the late-'90s, when almost every Malibu that came in had whine and other noises, all because their people thought that mounting the head unit next to the main harness and bundling the audio cables with power and instrument cabling was a good idea. They had no clue about proper grounding or routing and they authorized payment to dealers for three hours at full labor rate to fix these boats.

Comment

Well, I’ll have to say my wet sounds gear destroys the klipsch stuff. I’ve heard the premium system with the two dual pods and it’s got absolutely nothing on a set of properly tune rev 10s, let alone four of them.

The subs are weak, and pretty much any sealed enclosure will sound better in the boating environment. Not saying I don’t appreciate a decent stock stereo, but the klipsch audio is not the end all be all of marine stereos. (Especially since you’ve only been in the game for a few months)
                                Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                                Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                                2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                                For Sale:
                                2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Working...
                                X