18+ Klipsch Stereo mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
    Excellent. And how about bass performance? I’m assuming you are powering two Klipsch subs with that JL mono amp, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am powering both subs with a JL M1000 mono amp and the bass performance is great. It’s plenty loud and with the input level knob, very tunable to any main volume level. My playlist is an eclectic mix and I do change the bass input more frequently than I thought I would.

If you are thinking to do get the bass amp, consider adding the adjuster knob. Well worth the $50 investment.
    2020 X22
    2019 XT22
    2017 XT20

Comment

• 18+ Klipsch Stereo mods

Originally posted by LD50 View Post
      Looks great and is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for info on. Any insights as to the positives/negatives of going this route instead of repowering the subs and towers using the M1000/5? The separate amps are obviously delivering more total power. Just wondering if it's necessary or if the 5 channel amp would deliver similar performance and simplify the process a little.

Besides the underwhelming tower speaker volume, the aspect that bothered me most about the stock system was the handling of bass at low levels. It was either on or off and the equalizer didn’t do anything. After a long day on the water, we like to cruise back to the ramp with the music just in the background and chill out, not get thumped by bass and inaudible lyrics, so I was looking to solve two issues.

The M1000/5 would work to re-power both tower speakers and subs, but if you wanted to adjust only the bass frequency level via a knob, it can’t be done. It’s because being a single amp controlled with the knob, you would also adjust the tower speaker level simultaneously. By separating into two amps, You are able to maintain the independent bass level adjustment and that’s what I was aiming for. The two amp solution worked for me to solve both issues and I’m extremely happy with the set up now. This is how the stock premium system should sound like from the factory.
      2020 X22
      2019 XT22
      2017 XT20

Comment

• The 1000/5 has a slider control on top for the Remote Knob for “All Channels/Sub” so you could isolate the sub volume.

Comment

Seems like it would work then. But as was stated, there’s more power for the subs in the mono amp and I don’t know how much that would affect the overall sound. Maybe it’s clean enough with the 5 channel amp?

It would certainly simplify the install with only a single amp swap out. Whichever way you decide, you’ll want to change the wire gauge to the new amp(s) regardless as the stock wiring is rather anemic in comparison to what’s available.

I think you be happy either way you decide to go.
          2020 X22
          2019 XT22
          2017 XT20

Comment

• Originally posted by MCOR View Post
            Seems like it would work then. But as you stated, there’s more power for the subs in the mono amp and I don’t know how much that would affect the overall sound. Maybe it’s clean enough with the 5 channel amp?

It would certainly simplify the install with only a single amp swap out. Whichever way you decide, you’ll want to change the wire gauge to the new amp(s) regardless as the stock wiring is rather anemic in comparison to what’s available.

I think you be happy either way you decode to go.

Did you happen to snap a photo of your final amp settings before putting the blue cover on? I think readers of this thread would find that valuable. I certainly would.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
              Did you happen to snap a photo of your final amp settings before putting the blue cover on? I think readers of this thread would find that valuable. I certainly would.

I didn’t, but can certainly do that later today. This thread has a lot of the info already, but I get that it spans multiple pages and difficult to find.
              2020 X22
              2019 XT22
              2017 XT20

Comment

Here are the amp settings on our setup.

Input sensitivity is zeroed at approximately the 7:00 position and maxed at 5:00 position, rotating clockwise. The multi-meter method had me at 8:30 for the M400 and 8:00 for the M1000. After a couple of trips on the water, I’ve subsequently turned the M400 up to about 9:30, but left the M1000 alone as there’s plenty of bass.

2020 X22
                2019 XT22
                2017 XT20

Comment

Here are the amp settings on our setup.

Input sensitivity is zeroed at approximately the 7:00 position and maxed at 5:00 position, rotating clockwise. The multi-meter method had me at 8:30 for the M400 and 8:00 for the M1000. After a couple of trips on the water, I’ve subsequently turned the M400 up to about 9:30, but left the M1000 alone as there’s plenty of bass.

You might be able to get a little more low range out of the towers hooked up to that m4/400 amp. My JL M6 8.8" towers was a hair above 80 probably about 85. Was impressed with how much low end thump they had for a tower. You might go closer to were 100 might be... could be a good test, but if you dig it the way it is rock it out

Comment

• Originally posted by Tookeymonster View Post
                    You might be able to get a little more low range out of the towers hooked up to that m4/400 amp. My JL M6 8.8" towers was a hair above 80 probably about 85. Was impressed with how much low end thump they had for a tower. You might go closer to were 100 might be... could be a good test, but if you dig it the way it is rock it out

Thanks for the info. I may try that later this month, but it hasn’t been an issue so far. EE had recommended the filter frequency of 120Hz, so I was following that advice…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    2020 X22
                    2019 XT22
                    2017 XT20

Comment

Thanks for the info. I may try that later this month, but it hasn’t been an issue so far. EE had recommended the filter frequency of 120Hz, so I was following that advice…

EE is the man and knows his stuff! It may not hurt to try a tad lower depending on how loud you go. If you like it than leave it, less likely to blow a wolfer if your good with the sound.

Comment

Good stuff. Appreciate the follow up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tookeymonster View Post
                          EE is the man and knows his stuff! It may not hurt to try a tad lower depending on how loud you go. If you like it than leave it, less likely to blow a wolfer if your good with the sound.

Indeed he does! If I do end up lowering the filter freq, I will probably drop input sensitivity back down a bit as I don’t want to blow a speaker on the odd song at near max volume level. It’s plenty loud as is!

2020 X22
                          2019 XT22
                          2017 XT20

Comment

• I'm ripping my whole system out of my X22 this winter and going with JL 880's on the tower, leaving the klipsch speakers and subs inside alone for now, and replacing the amps with Audio Control 6.1200, 4.800 and a 800.1 amps. I'll be posting my end project for everyone to take a look at when I'm done in the spring. For those of you that already have a TWK 88 have you had any problems attaching the 12V constant after the solenoid so it completely loses power every time I'm done for the day? And is there any reason I can't tie the L/R channels together on the tower and sub outputs of the mini 6 pin coming out of the BONJOVI DSP to make mono channels going into the TWK 88?

Comment

• I’m adding 2 additional tower speakers to my premium sound system. At this time, the towers are running off the 8 channel amp. What would you recommend doing? Splitting the towers and running both pairs off a separate 4 channel amp or leaving my present pair on the 8 channel amp and powering the second pair on an additional amp?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tahoeblue View Post
                                I'm ripping my whole system out of my X22 this winter and going with JL 880's on the tower, leaving the klipsch speakers and subs inside alone for now, and replacing the amps with Audio Control 6.1200, 4.800 and a 800.1 amps.
                                I'm guessing the 1200.6 is for the interior speakers? Seems like a lot of money to only gain a few watts... Not sure there will be much audible difference in 25w per speaker additional.... that's assuming you're planning on a 4 ohm load. If 2 ohm, you're gaining nothing. What is it about the Klipsch amp you don't like?

Comment

Working...
                                X