2 ohm vs 4 ohm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 ohm vs 4 ohm

Does anyone know if there will be an audible difference between two 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load vs the same two 4 ohm speakers each on their own channel? Assume each speaker in the above two scenarios is driven by the same wattage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.
    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
    For Sale:
    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

No audible difference but the amplifier will work harder(aka get hotter) in the parallel configuration.

Comment

Agree, your amp is working harder. Be sure your amp can handle a 2 ohm load.
        - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

While a 2 ohm load is more work then a 4 ohm load, consider going with an amp that offers a potential RMS that well above the speakers' RMS. This result in a low gain level while still yielding the desired power for the speakers. Amp isnt actually working that hard at that point.

Comment

The heat was a concern with older, analog amps. The new digital amps will be fine.

I have a SD2 in a 2 ohm configuration and it never gets hot

Comment

Originally posted by MLA View Post
              While a 2 ohm load is more work then a 4 ohm load, consider going with an amp that offers a potential RMS that well above the speakers' RMS. This result in a low gain level while still yielding the desired power for the speakers. Amp isnt actually working that hard at that point.
              Best advice right here. ^^^^

When I added a 2nd JL Audio 10" subwoofer to our boat I also added a JL M600 monoblock amp to run both subs without breaking a sweat. That amp was rated at a higher output than the subwoofers were recommended to run on however it ran the subs extremely well as it was not working very hard with the gain at a low setting. Great for pumping out hrs of bass notes while stuffed in a storage locker on a + 90°F day.

The 2 subwoofers origionally sounded the same running off the factory JL M700/5 amplifier sharing the sub channel. However that amp was working much harder with the gain turned way up to achieve the same audio performance I did not feel comfortable with that in the long run. So bumping up to the 600 watt RMS amp gave me piece of mind the audio system will live on strong for many yrs to come.
              XT20 5500 GDI Black Mica/Black Topdeck/ Black interior
              SOLD - 2013 X2 Pro Pkg, Gen2 Surf
              SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190
              SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

sigpic

Comment

#earmarkaudio

Where did those two guys run off to?
                -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                  #earmarkaudio

Where did those two guys run off to?
                  David retired about 4 years. I imagine Odin is just busy running the joint. I exchanged Emails with him a few weeks back.

Comment

Originally posted by MLA View Post
                    David retired about 4 years. I imagine Odin is just busy running the joint. I exchanged Emails with him a few weeks back.

I really miss David’s input on this forum. I’ve had a tough time connecting with Odin. Left messages two weeks ago and still no response. Ended up buying what I thought would work but still would like his advice.

Comment

Originally posted by imyourmaster View Post
                      I really miss David’s input on this forum. I’ve had a tough time connecting with Odin. Left messages two weeks ago and still no response. Ended up buying what I thought would work but still would like his advice.

I think Odin still handles the bulk of the internet biz, so this time of year is incredibly taxing I bet. Have you tried his direct earmark email?

Comment

Working...
                      X