Fusion Apollo RA670

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion Apollo RA670

Thanks to Aric, when my 5 year old Fusion IP700i froze and could neither be reset or unplugged overnight and reset, I jumped in and replaced it with the Fusion Apollo RA670 head unit. This unit is half the size and weight vs. the older generation Fusion, not sure about the 770. Found an ancient Apple Ipod stashed in the old internal unit that had been forgotten years ago.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dJkVIi...-MS-RA670.html

While it took me a day and a half to figure out the new wiring harness setups and install correctly, it was worth the careful effort and all-in-all was as absolute joy to be able to upgrade a stand alone head unit by Fusion. I biased the receiver mount closer to the helm for easier access for the rare time the Captain needs to get to the receiver and someone occupies the observer seat, otherwise she’ll stay stowed under the rubber face cover.

You could either replace the existing main receiver power 12-pin harness with a new 4-pin deutsche connector as there are only 4 main wires needed if all speakers are otherwise dedicated to line-out Amps. Mine were with a JL M700/5 for the main cabin and sub, and M400/4 for the tower, but I just cut off the existing 12 pin and fused it with butt ends and heat shrink to the new harness for ease and time.

I used a RCA Y splitter (single male to double female) for the single sub line-out from either Zone 1 or Zone 2. This 670 unit only has three zones vs the older four zones but includes sub line outs in Zone 1 & 2. I ended up synching Zone 1 (Bow + Sub) with Zone 2 (Main Cabin), with Zone 3 for the Tower. It actually seems like a more simple setup as you can also separately adjust bass and sub signal as preferred. Not sure, but the larger 770 unit may have 4 separate zones.

You’ll also have to delete the red powered NMEA 8 pin wire for the helm wired remote (CAB000851) and replace with the supplied black unpowered NMEA 5 pin wire just prior to the head unit. But once accessing the existing NMEA cable junction behind the portside bow speaker, it was pretty straightforward.

Have not yet played around with the Apple Airplay, PartyBus, DSP Profiles, Fusion Link phone-remote App, or other cool features, but it looks and sounds great and wired up nicely to my existing/older Fusion NX200 remote. You’ll have to go into settings/power options then check the NX Remote power option but it was a slick attachment.

You can also delete the separate Aux wired/powered Fusion BT100 unit as the receiver has an internal BT setup that works really nicely.

I also picked up a wireless Fusion Remote that can be installed anywhere on the boat and synched to the receiver. Have yet to install it but pretty slick vs running wires for additional remotes.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kncJRW...SABEgLBrvD_BwE
    Last edited by moosehead; 10-04-2020, 09:57 PM.

Awesome!!! Looking forward to getting mine and eliminating crapsch completely
    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
    For Sale:
    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

The RA770 looks to have a touchscreen, 4 zones, and built-in wireless. Would be cool to have the main receiver at the helm, room permitting.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qegNXi...-MS-RA770.html

Comment

I love my RA770.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B23B39E2-4B64-4647-AD2B-E9264BC9C13A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	2406687

—Sky
        ------------------------------------------------
        2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
        2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

Fusion Apollo RA670

^Nice Sky. Which remotes are you using and where abouts are they located aboard?

Here’s the OEM Amphenol 12-pin main harness connector from the old head unit. If running all line outs to amps, the only live needed wires from this connector are the red (switched power), yellow (power), black (ground), and blue (amp on/off) wires upper right. The rest are straight speaker wires intended for direct head unit to speaker wiring.

Boat side of the OEM 12-pin showing all speaker wires locations capped off in white vs wired.

There is also a separate OEM dual pin plug of orange (dim) and brown (cannot recall-phone voiceover?) wires that I also swapped over to the new harness.

This shows the dual line pos and negative wired OEM sub from the JL Audio amps from this era, also paired with dual right-left RCA pre-wired in the 2015 X10. I used an RCA Y splitter to connect single sub out line from the new receiver to existing sub wiring. Pretty simple but I was incorrectly expecting a single sub line from head unit to sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by moosehead; 10-05-2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Nicely done Moose! For the Sub signal I believe you could also simply switch the M700 to 4 channel mode (from 5) and the amp would pull the sub signal from the sum of the remaining 4 channels. Then you’d adjust the bass using the tone control.
            Obviously, your method of splitting the sub signal from the Bow zone works also. Just another option for others who might be doing this mod in the future.
            Last edited by Skyskiguy; 10-05-2020, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moosehead View Post
              ^Nice Sky. Which remotes are you using and where abouts are they located aboard?
              I have the NRX-300 in the stock driver’s position,

Name:	82A9B1AF-DEBD-4A7C-BCE2-532D7C5CDF21.jpg
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	2406697

And the wireless remote on the stern.

Name:	616E5FEC-67E6-4369-8C86-43E53E96EA79.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	2406698

Since I took this last picture I added custom cut ABS bezel to protect it and cover the marks from the old Clarion remote. No pics to share of the bezel. I like this remote for this location because,
              1. There’s no moving parts to get damaged by water or boards
              2. It is pretty water resistant and regularly gets submerged when full ballast is in
              3. They are cheap and easy to replace if they fail.

Both remotes work like a dream, and the stern remote is slaved to the tower speaker channel, so someone on the stern can’t easily change the volume in the cockpit.

I can also control the stereo from the 7” screen if I like, but with the NRX300 right there, no real need.

—Sky
              ------------------------------------------------
              2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
              2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

Fusion Apollo RA670

Thanks SSG, need to also do your Ballast Puppy add here. OT, but how late into the season have you guys done Powell? We were toying around with Oct 16-19 as weather looks good. Mid 80’s all this week in Denver

Cheers Sky, I just copied your transom remote location. Will be nice to crank up tower or change tracks from the water as the Admiral is a better driver than she is a DJ. As you note, this remote is 2 minute install, works really well, and is inexpensive. Glad to hear water resistance is solid, as when the X10 is slammed, water level at rest is not far below the remote.

Comment

I want to do this, this winter. I am just waiting for the remote to be upgraded to a color screen, like the head unit. The dot matrix looks old school, while the head unit looks super nice!
                  -Cameron
                  2007 ProStar 197
                  1996 ProStar 190

Comment

^S, there is a color screen Apollo Remote available now: https://www.thegpsstore.com/Fusion-A...xoCzEYQAvD_BwE

It is a bit pricey and does have a power ethernet cable to the head unit. Wonder if it draws parasitic power from system when off?

Space permitting, the RA670 head unit may be small enough to relocate to your helm in the PS? I considered the same on the X10 but relocating wiring across the walk through would be tougher.

Comment

^S, there is a color screen Apollo Remote available now: https://www.thegpsstore.com/Fusion-A...xoCzEYQAvD_BwE

It is a bit pricey and does have a power ethernet cable to the head unit. Wonder if it draws parasitic power from system when off?

Space permitting, the RA670 head unit may be small enough to relocate to your helm in the PS? I considered the same on the X10 but relocating wiring across the walk through would be tougher.
                      That remote must have JUST come out. I swear I was on Fusion's site less than a month ago and it was NOT there!

I was considering this exact thing and going with a JL Media Blaster, but I really do not feel like moving everything over. A nice remote at the helm would make life so much easier.
                      -Cameron
                      2007 ProStar 197
                      1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Price seems inline with NRX wires remotes. I wonder if the volume button is more robust than NRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks SSG, need to also do your Ballast Puppy add here. OT, but how late into the season have you guys done Powell? We were toying around with Oct 16-19 as weather looks good. Mid 80’s all this week in Denver
                          Mid-October can be great at Powell - just depends on the forecast. It was unusually cold a few weeks ago but if the forecast looks decent the water should be awesome. Air and water temps usually start dropping pretty quickly by the end of October.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodar View Post
                            That remote must have JUST come out. I swear I was on Fusion's site less than a month ago and it was NOT there!

I was considering this exact thing and going with a JL Media Blaster, but I really do not feel like moving everything over. A nice remote at the helm would make life so much easier.
                            I love the improved aesthetics of new head units and remotes fusion is putting out now.

I can't really make use of a boat right now but maybe a 67 Camaro could use a fusion system.
                            Last edited by CantRepeat; 10-06-2020, 05:40 PM. Reason: can = can't
                            -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

^CR, I was thinking the fusion head unit and amps would go great as built-ins on the outdoor BBQ cart.

‘67 Camaro RS/SS would be even better. May have to upgrade the ‘78 Wagoneer.

Thanks to Sodar, I will now forever think Dot Matrix every time I’m at the helm.

Comment

Working...
                              X