Clear All

• blackhawk
    replied
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/4877582...=1&frs=1&bes=1

Here you go!

Leave a comment:

• rjh2196
    replied
    Curious what your search was on Etsy. I have the CDM4A on my x45 and wanted to upgrade but have been hesitant because we use the transom remote as well as the driver's seat remote. Thanks for any insight!

Leave a comment:

• Gsxrgrizz
    replied
    Thanks everyone, I only have the one “remote” by the drivers throttle, the head until is on the other side in the glovebox.

I use the remote all the time but only to pause the music when someone falls or to turn it up/down. Out of the 5 year I’ve owned the boat, I think I’ve touched the head unit twice...an once was just to see what it would do! We only listen to Bluetooth from out phones....I don’t even know it the radio works or if it has a CD drive [emoji23]

Anyway, if there is a noticeable sound improvement then maybe I will upgrade the head unit. My local stereo shop said, without a fair amount of “custom” work, the Clarion is the best fit for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• bturner2
    replied
    To me it depends on how many remotes you have. If all you have is the one by the driver I would ditch the Clarion and go with nicest head unit that would fit in the dash by the driver. For me..... all I ever used the head unit in the dash for was to "tune" the sound maybe once or twice. After that I always used the remote in the dash. Strangely the Clarion may be the best fit. You would have more work going this direction though running wire and making some kind of blocking plate.

Leave a comment:

• blackhawk
    replied
    Moving from the CMD4 to the M608 for me was a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Probably close to 15 years between the design of those two models. To make your existing remotes work you will have to buy an adapter because Clarion changed the the number pins in the connectors. The only place you can find these are on Etsy of all places. I bought one to make my transom remote work. I didn't lose any functionality but the transom remote does not have a screen. The adapter should work with the old remotes with a screen, but I have heard the screen will not work, only the buttons.

Leave a comment:

• Gsxrgrizz
    replied
    Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
    I think all the adapters are about the same. I had the JL Audio one with my CMD4 before upgrading the receiver. It worked fine and was easy to install.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kHvhYQ...caAiSDEALw_wcB

There's a bunch of others here as well....

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_378550....html?tp=61776
    Thanks for the links! So, what route would you go? Upgrade to the M608 or replace the Amp, upgrade the speakers and get a BlueTooth transmitter?

Leave a comment:

• bturner2
    replied
    I think all the adapters are about the same. I had the JL Audio one with my CMD4 before upgrading the receiver. It worked fine and was easy to install.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kHvhYQ...caAiSDEALw_wcB

There's a bunch of others here as well....

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_378550....html?tp=61776

Leave a comment:

• Gsxrgrizz
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies!!!! So, I’m my case, would you just recommend going with a universal BT and sticking with our current setup? If so, what would you recommend?

We really only use our phones for music and have literally touched the actual CMD4 head unit maybe twice in the 4 years we’ve owned the boat. I use the “remote” by the throttle for volume control and to pause music. As for “song displays” we reference that on our phone playlists anyway.

Prior to this, we were using an AvanTree transmitter that plugged into the 3.5mm port in the remote but at the end of last year it blew up. It worked well but it was a pain trying to keep it charged all the time. We were considering upgrading to the M608 to eliminate having to keep something charged and because the boat was going to be in getting a new amp anyway. Now I’m second guessing the M608 and wonder if I would be better off with another transmitter and dumping money into the amp and upgraded (over OEM) speakers instead.

I’m open to any suggestions as I am not knowledgeable in this area!

Last edited by Gsxrgrizz; 03-05-2021, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied
    The Clarion GR-10BT is a round compact media unit and NOT a remote with BT built in, just want clarify that. It will not function as a remote to any other units, and does not support a wired remote itself. Its also about 1/2 the MSRP of the M608.

if you want to retain even some of your existing remote's functions, there is no other option then a Clarion.

In the above scenario your dealer describes, you really gain little compared to just installing one of the many universal blue tooth receivers to a working CMD4.

The huge advantage of the integrated BT, is that you get the playlist display. This would show on the M608 as well as if you upgraded to a new MW1 remote. With the universal BTs, you just get audio. If you stay with the old 6-pin remote and new M608, you lose ALL the display, not just the playlist while streaming you wont get with a universal BT. But in this case, sticking with the CMD4 and universal BT, the remote still shows its display and fully functions.

Leave a comment:

• blackhawk
    replied
    I installed an M608 in my 2006 X15 this past season. No problems at all. Definitely an upgrade to the CMD4. Like Bturner2 said, it bolts right in and even the plugs on the back are the same. You don't have to re-wire anything.

Leave a comment:

• Gsxrgrizz
    replied
    Clarion M608 opinions

Thanks for the reply. Did the M608 come stock in your 07 or did you replace your OEM system with it? I also don’t want to “upgrade” using old technology.

As far as the “remote with built in Bluetooth” great idea but it looks like it’s the same price as the M608. I think I am gaining more functionality with the multi- zone, upgraded EQ etc in the head unit.

I can’t remember a time when we used anything other than our phones for music so I can’t see the radio being a big deal for us. I just want to make sure

1. It’s a good quality unit compared to more “well known” lines like Alpine etc. Can’t think of any other brand
    2. It’s not really old technology

Leave a comment:

• bturner2
    replied
    The last receiver I had in my 07 X2 was the M608, I had also upgraded my remote and cable to the latest version so mine actually worked. The unit itself was fine but to be truthful the only thing I played through it was my phone so I really never used any of the features.

The reasons to go with the Clarion IMO is that it is a direct bolt in. The face plate has all the same holes and you basically unplug the connectors in the back and plug the new unit in. It's a very simple upgrade with no cutting, splicing or wiring needed. If that's what you're looking for then I would highly recommend it.

On the other hand if all you're looking for is a device to connect your phone to then there are a lot of cheaper options. If you're willing to do some work on the installation you can even find a head unit that will fit in the hole where the remote is currently located. This however will require you to at a minimum run your outputs from the head unit over to the passenger side where the amps are. You'll also probably want to fabricate some kind of plate to cover the hole from the old receiver.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-pyL2CH...hoC_fgQAvD_BwE

Leave a comment:

• GarrettNTxWake
    replied
    Watching this!

Leave a comment:

• Gsxrgrizz
    started a topic Clarion M608 opinions

Clarion M608 opinions

I’ve got an issue with my stock JL amp high pass filters, two speakers and a sub that are not working. Since it is going in anyway, I thought I would also change out the current Clarion CMD4 for a system that supports direct BlueTooth from my iPhone.

In talking to the local dealer, they recommended I get a Clarion M608 as a replacement stating this will also allow me to keep the stock “round” remote control by the driver. They said the screen would not display but the functionality would be there which I am really on the fence about. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the extra 300.00.

What do you think of this head unit? Is there a better option out there than Clarion and/or the M608? I can’t really find a lot of Google about it.

Thanks!!!

Working...
X