upgrading tower speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading tower speakers

Audio question for the group - '07 X45 with original JL 7.7" cans on the tower. JL M600W 6 Ch. amp. I want to get much stronger sound to the surfer. What are the best speakers folks would recommend that fit in the existing cans? Don't really want to get all new cans. Do folks use an additional amp just for the tower or should 600W be enough if I turn off the other channels while the surfer is up (I would think so)?

I may be totally wrong here, I'm sure others will chime in if I am, but I think the JL 7.7 is the only speaker that will fit in those cans. You'd probably be best off pulling the trigger on a pair of Wetsounds tower speakers (rev 8s would be plenty for surfing). 600W for both speakers would be plenty. I think RMS watts on a rev 8 is 200 with peak at 400.
    -Tolman
    '22 XT23 coming soon...
    '06 X30 (sold!)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Originally posted by joelevy View Post
      Audio question for the group - '07 X45 with original JL 7.7" cans on the tower. JL M600W 6 Ch. amp. I want to get much stronger sound to the surfer. What are the best speakers folks would recommend that fit in the existing cans? Don't really want to get all new cans. Do folks use an additional amp just for the tower or should 600W be enough if I turn off the other channels while the surfer is up (I would think so)?
      How many speakers do you currently have on the tower? I'm guess ing two since you only have a 600W amp. Is this amp pushing the factory sub as well? You're tower is probably severely under powered. Adding an amp and powering the tower properly will wake up the factory JL's quite a bit.

Comment

Nevermind. *deleted post*
        -Tolman
        '22 XT23 coming soon...
        '06 X30 (sold!)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

What are the best speakers folks would recommend that fit in the existing cans?
          I think you already have them. IIRC, they are M770, which was the higher end 7.7 with the 1" tweeter.

So you can add wattage or add more speakers, if you want to retain the factory pods.

Comment

Pull the trigger and upgrade to Rev 8s or JL 8.8s. You will not be disappointed!

Comment

You may try upgrading the amp to the M800/8 and bridge the power. You should get more power to them. Question is how is the 600/6 wired and tuned?

If they 800/8 doesn't quite do it on its own (7.7 cant handle all the power but it will get more clean power) add the JL 8.8's. I only had one pair of the 8.8's with the 400/4 and they were very loud while surfing and good while wakeboarding.

Comment

Originally posted by socalsynergy View Post
                Pull the trigger and upgrade to Rev 8s or JL 8.8s. You will not be disappointed!
                Agreed. I feel that the JL's are a clearer speaker than the wetsounds so I prefer them for surfing but the JL's are not as good at projecting as the rev 8s. Like socal said you will not be disappointed with either.
                Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

Thanks folks. appreciate this. Going to add a Rockford 300W app to send 100W dedicated to each tower speaker and a new head unit. Thinking that should do it

Comment

Originally posted by joelevy View Post
                    Thanks folks. appreciate this. Going to add a Rockford 300W app to send 100W dedicated to each tower speaker and a new head unit. Thinking that should do it
                    You are either taking a huge step back in wattage or making a super small increase that will be inaudible.

Your existing "600W" amp is either delivering 75W or 200W to each tower speaker, depending on how its wired.

Comment

Jl 600 is currently running box, mid, sub woofer and two tower speakers. Tower speakers are a dedicated channel. I don’t believe I’m getting more than 75W. How can I get more while still running the others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, 75W sounds about right. 100W is an inaudible difference. You need an amp thats going to double the 75W.

Comment

Working...
                        X