2003 X7 audio upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 X7 audio upgrade

Hi all, we’ve just taken delivery of a 2003 X7 with a very basic stereo setup. We have a pair of basic tower speakers an old clarion head unit (with the flip down front and what looks like a place to install an iPod?) and 6 4in standard white marine speakers. I believe the tower speakers are powered by a “sub zero” 2ch amp.

Without breaking the bank, what would be your suggestions for upgrading to something with a little more punch?

I’m new to all this, so please go easy! 🤦*♂️🤣
    Attached Files

My suggestion.

Replace all boat speaker with JL MX 6.5 coaxial. Double check depth at the bow to make sure they will clear.
    Replace the head unit with a Fusion RA210 or RA670 with the wireless remote.
    Get a Wetsounds SDX6 or Arc Audio XDI 1200.6 amplifier to run it all.
    New 4guage wire for the amp and new interconnects.
    05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
    15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

congrats on the new boat, btw! Great seasonal timing to work on things like the radio. Good luck.
      Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
        My suggestion.

Replace all boat speaker with JL MX 6.5 coaxial. Double check depth at the bow to make sure they will clear.
        Replace the head unit with a Fusion RA210 or RA670 with the wireless remote.
        Get a Wetsounds SDX6 or Arc Audio XDI 1200.6 amplifier to run it all.
        New 4guage wire for the amp and new interconnects.
        Thank you diesel! Would you leave the tower speakers or upgrade those as well?

Would I need to bridge the amp or add a sub to add some depth?

Comment

Wow that wet sounds Amp is £2000 here in the UK!! ����

Comment

Originally posted by R6demon View Post
            Wow that wet sounds Amp is £2000 here in the UK!! ����
            Yep, they have gotten expense here too. ARC makes most of the wetsounds stuff, that's why I like the XDI amps. Very similar performance for less $$. Just keep them dry.

Yeah, I would upgrade the tower speakers. JL is what I have liked the best.

You can add a sub up under the drivers foot rest or in the passenger storage. In that case, you can just add a mono sub amp.
            15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

I had an '03 as well - I ran the M600/6 (or M700/5 would work) - I ran the bow speakers of the Clarion head unit, two channels of amp went to tower, 2 went to rear cabin speakers, the 2 bridged to sub. I was able find the clarion transom remote to add. It sounded great. I'd start with the amp and see how the current speakers sound with just that - then upgrade speakers where you see fit... I had a Kicker free air sub underneath the dash in the factory location - it didn't sound that great, updated to the JL free air and was much better
              2018 XT22 - Current
              1985 SS - Current

2016 X2 - Sold
              2008 X2 - Sold
              2003 197 TT - Sold
              1993 205 - Sold

Comment

ARC makes most of the wetsounds stuff
                Arc does not make ANY Wet Sounds products. What they do have in common is, is that Robert Zeff has been a design input on both Arc and Wet Sounds amps. With that said, the original Wrt Sounds Syn series amps where based off the Arc KS amps, but with some tweaks and of course, a marine version. However, the Syn series has long since been retired and every amp series since, as been 100% Wet Sounds design.

Comment

I honestly forgot about the X7! That's a great boat. Congrats

As far as audio, well, I'm the wrong person to ask!
                  -Tolman
                  '22 XT23 coming soon...
                  '06 X30 (sold!)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Thank you for the feedback guys!

Are there any other Marine amps that are worth trying? I’m worried about spending a ton of cash and then swamping it!

The suggestion of upgrading the amp first sounds a great way to start. Sort the engine out first and work out from there!

It also gives me a chance to scour the used sales ads to try and save some cash!

If I am running in new cables, is there anything I should be mindful of?

Was the factory speaker in the drivers footwell? How to you access the area?

Comment

Punch as in more volume? This would require upgrading the 4" speakers to something larger. For the cabin, at least go up to a 6.5" coaxial. For the tower, Id suggest a pair of 8", either coaxials or HLCD. Then add sufficient wattage. For the cabin, 50-75 watts RMS minimum and for an 8" tower coaxial, at least 100W, and even more for an HLCD.

Punch as in bass? Larger speakers will improve the mid-bass, but you really need a woofer for bass. Its worthless to force the small coaxials to try and reproduce bass. its hard and the amp and speakers.

There are tons of marine amps, and many id say are worth a try, as they are quality. Kicker KMA is a more budget friendly line and the KXMA is a step up. The Wet Sounds HTX is going to be their entry line. JL M series, Fusion Signature series, Rockford all have solid marine amps. Clarion even has a new line of marine amps coming soon. They will have push button digital setting controls.

Comment

Originally posted by MLA View Post
                        Arc does not make ANY Wet Sounds products. What they do have in common is, is that Robert Zeff has been a design input on both Arc and Wet Sounds amps. With that said, the original Wrt Sounds Syn series amps where based off the Arc KS amps, but with some tweaks and of course, a marine version. However, the Syn series has long since been retired and every amp series since, as been 100% Wet Sounds design.
                        Hmm, different than what I was told by the owner of Arc Audio. He's a go fast boat guy and owns land here in OK. No doubt Wet Sounds is involved in design and specifications, but I was told the SYN and SYN-DX are manufactured by Arc. But, this was a few years ago, and who knows what to believe anymore.

In any case, both are fantastic options.
                        15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Working...
                        X