JL M6-770 & M6-880 ETXV3 Tower Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JL M6-770 & M6-880 ETXV3 Tower Speakers

I'm curious if anybody on this forum has either of these two newer M6 ETXV3 enclosures on their tower and if they've been happy with them? I'm currently in the process of updating my audio system and am considering a pair of either of these for the tower. The smaller depth and hang height of the 7.7's is appealing, but I like the idea of the larger cone and increased mid-bass from the 8.8's.

For context, I currently have a pair of the original WetSounds Pro80's running off of a Syn6 (1+2 & 3+4 bridged for 2 x 200W RMS). I also have a WS420 and have been happy overall with the setup, but am considering giving up the volume at distance for better overall sound quality in and around the boat. The Pro80's have always looked pretty big on my tower and the 880's are roughly the same size. I've already made the switch to JL M3 in-boats and a M7 sub, so there are aesthetics considerations at play here too.

For now, I'm going to keep the Syn6 and Syn4, but will likely at some point make the switch to JL's MHD line.

Curious if anybody here can comment, or possibly may have come full circle and moved from HLCD back to a traditional coaxial tower speaker?

TIA for any insight or advice.
    ¡Viva 205V!
    2003 X2 MCX

I don't wakeboard anymore so throwing sound 50'+ is not in my playbook. This last go around I went with the JL 880s which sit high enough on my tower not to be a problem and I'm 6'1" tall. They sound great, at least to me with a single channel each off a JL 200/2 but then again I'm not playing in the loudest stereo at the island contest. I'm running the M6 10" sub on 2 bridged channels off of a 600/6 with the rest of the channels going to the 4 cockpit speakers. This setup is plenty for us.

I had Wet Sounds tower speakers before but dare I say it, liked the way these looked better. The only newer JL's I had heard before purchasing were the 770s on a friends boat so I kind of took a leap of faith that these would be as good or better. IMO they were better and I'm very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
      I don't wakeboard anymore so throwing sound 50'+ is not in my playbook. This last go around I went with the JL 880s which sit high enough on my tower not to be a problem and I'm 6'1" tall. They sound great, at least to me with a single channel each off a JL 200/2 but then again I'm not playing in the loudest stereo at the island contest. I'm running the M6 10" sub on 2 bridged channels off of a 600/6 with the rest of the channels going to the 4 cockpit speakers. This setup is plenty for us.

I had Wet Sounds tower speakers before but dare I say it, liked the way these looked better. The only newer JL's I had heard before purchasing were the 770s on a friends boat so I kind of took a leap of faith that these would be as good or better. IMO they were better and I'm very happy.
      Thanks BT. Appreciate the feedback. Just to clarify, are you saying you like the looks/aesthetics of the newer JL's over your previous Wetsounds tower speakers, or vice versa? Another question for you regarding physical appearance: I'm not super crazy about the large aluminum JL logo caps on the rear of the enclosure. Are they better looking in person? The logo looks huge and IMO a little gaudy. Really my only nit, but I'm half tempted to buy the non-RGB version if I end up going the 770 route just so I can put the optional downlight caps on them (they don't have that big black logo). Guess I could always paint them, but that seems a bit silly. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
      ¡Viva 205V!
      2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Hey I just thought of another question for you bturner....

Are you running the RGB version of the 880's? Did you have to make your connections inside the cans or were you able to get it all inside the tower?
        ¡Viva 205V!
        2003 X2 MCX

Comment

So I'll start with full disclosure.... I went to the dark side with this latest boat due to the deal and because I didn't want a surf ship and bought that other brand that still offered a "newer" true slalom crossover boat.

With that out of the way my responses.....

Hear we go again with dare I say it. I had the original Wet Sound speakers that were marketed as the "Double up" packager which was 4 individual speakers. I want to say 2 were 8" drivers and the other were 6" drivers but I could be wrong. Anyway 2 were larger and 2 were smaller. The weighed a ton but sounded pretty good and looked good for the times. I owned the boat for 10 years and other than Hydro Dipping the enclosures due to the white finish yellowing and replacing 2 drivers they treated me very well but IMO they looked dated. Fast forward to today and IMO the new Wet Sound speakers look very similar and dated. So for me the JL just looked fresher and better than the Wet Sounds options. I know this shouldn't be a reason to pick one speaker over another but it did play in my decision. As far as the logo goes IMO it isn't that noticeable to me as the speakers sit so high and the speakers being black like my tower pretty much blend in.

As to installation.... I don't boat at night and even if I did I'm not a fan of the LED light show fad so I didn't even think about adding LEDs to the speakers. My tower came pre-wired so it was a very easy installation with the factor looking high quality adapters JL sells for my tower. The wiring connections were made outside the tower but I decided not to go with a plug and solder my connections then used heat shrink over the connection. I then back fed the connection back into the tower. I used a rubber grommet in the tower opening to prevent chaffing and to clean up the installation. You can barely see the cable going into the tower.

I was looking at doing the down light as my tower is wired for this as well but this again was not something I needed as I really don't boat but maybe once or twice a year at night and I already have a down light in the tower. Here's the link for the JL 880 down light caps.....

https://www.jlaudio.com/products/m-l...essories-91246

Not the best pictures of my boat as I think these were taken in the driveway when we got back from vacation after unloading the boat but you can see the speakers pretty good here. Another reason I chose these is because they're what the factory uses and I was planing on flipping this boat before covid hit. Turns out I like so..... well I just turned down some stupid covid money offer which I really need to think about more. Anyway this is what they look like installed on my boat.
          Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=bturner2;1585493]So I'll start with full disclosure.... I went to the dark side with this latest boat due to the deal and because I didn't want a surf ship and bought that other brand that still offered a "newer" true slalom crossover boat.

With that out of the way my responses.....

Hear we go again with dare I say it. I had the original Wet Sound speakers that were marketed as the "Double up" packager which was 4 individual speakers. I want to say 2 were 8" drivers and the other were 6" drivers but I could be wrong. Anyway 2 were larger and 2 were smaller. The weighed a ton but sounded pretty good and looked good for the times. I owned the boat for 10 years and other than Hydro Dipping the enclosures due to the white finish yellowing and replacing 2 drivers they treated me very well but IMO they looked dated. Fast forward to today and IMO the new Wet Sound speakers look very similar and dated. So for me the JL just looked fresher and better than the Wet Sounds options. I know this shouldn't be a reason to pick one speaker over another but it did play in my decision. As far as the logo goes IMO it isn't that noticeable to me as the speakers sit so high and the speakers being black like my tower pretty much blend in.

As to installation.... I don't boat at night and even if I did I'm not a fan of the LED light show fad so I didn't even think about adding LEDs to the speakers. My tower came pre-wired so it was a very easy installation with the factor looking high quality adapters JL sells for my tower. The wiring connections were made outside the tower but I decided not to go with a plug and solder my connections then used heat shrink over the connection. I then back fed the connection back into the tower. I used a rubber grommet in the tower opening to prevent chaffing and to clean up the installation. You can barely see the cable going into the tower.

I was looking at doing the down light as my tower is wired for this as well but this again was not something I needed as I really don't boat but maybe once or twice a year at night and I already have a down light in the tower. Here's the link for the JL 880 down light caps.....

https://www.jlaudio.com/products/m-l...essories-91246

Not the best pictures of my boat as I think these were taken in the driveway when we got back from vacation after unloading the boat but you can see the speakers pretty good here. Another reason I chose these is because they're what the factory uses and I was planing on flipping this boat before covid hit. Turns out I like so..... well I just turned down some stupid covid money offer which I really need to think about more. Anyway this is what they look like installed on my boat.[

How is the wakeboard wake in your Natique with some ballast?

Comment

Thanks BT, really appreciate the reply. Sharp looking boat and you won't get any guff from this guy on brand.

Really struggling on whether to go with the 770's or 880's. Price is somewhat of a consideration, but more importantly I'd also love to reduce the physical size of the cans. Hang height isn't an issue, it's really just the size. I always thought the Pro80's looked a little big on my tower, mostly from the side. Maybe it's the shape. I guess the 770's really aren't that much smaller, but I have to wonder what I'd be giving up in everyday use out on the lake.

Can you comment on your experience in your friends boat with the 770's as compared to your 880's? Keep in mind, I'll have 200Wx2 RMS at 4 Ohms to feed whichever way I go, so should be in the sweet spot.

Last question (maybe): all my in-boats and sub are going to be white. Would you go black on my tower? Bimini's black. Leaning black, but welcome opinions.
              Attached Files
              ¡Viva 205V!
              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

"How is the wakeboard wake in your Natique with some ballast?"

Depends on what you're looking for I guess. You have a running surface gate you can use to either make it more rampy or peak harder. I pulled a couple younger guys this year with my stock ballast and then with stock plus my plumbed in bags. They were not too impressed with the stock ballast but said it was good (not great) with both the stock plus external ballast from the plug in system. We were riding at about 60 - 65 feet and 25mph which is nuts for this old guy. They looked good to me but they were some better riders and a good rider can make a Bayliner look like a good wakeboard boat.

I rode it once this summer fully loaded at 18mph and 50'. I found it very similar to my old 07 X2 but with a bit more of a lip to it. It was fine for what I do which these days is jumping the wake and 180s. I liked it but then again I'm riding old school at slower speeds and a much shorter line length.

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post
                  Thanks BT, really appreciate the reply. Sharp looking boat and you won't get any guff from this guy on brand.

Really struggling on whether to go with the 770's or 880's. Price is somewhat of a consideration, but more importantly I'd also love to reduce the physical size of the cans. Hang height isn't an issue, it's really just the size. I always thought the Pro80's looked a little big on my tower, mostly from the side. Maybe it's the shape. I guess the 770's really aren't that much smaller, but I have to wonder what I'd be giving up in everyday use out on the lake.

Can you comment on your experience in your friends boat with the 770's as compared to your 880's? Keep in mind, I'll have 200Wx2 RMS at 4 Ohms to feed whichever way I go, so should be in the sweet spot.

Last question (maybe): all my in-boats and sub are going to be white. Would you go black on my tower? Bimini's black. Leaning black, but welcome opinions.
                  I struggled with the the 2 as well and ended up going bigger...... why? Bigger is better right? Well that and the price difference wasn't that much, it's only an inch and I figured what difference would that actually make size wise. The Wet Sounds while a great product never looked proportioned correctly to me, but that's just me. I'm sure to others they're perfect. The JLs looked sleeker to me and seemed to match the tower on my boat well. It just looked right to me but maybe that's because that's the speaker the factory is using and I'm just used to seeing it on the boat.

So doing an A-B is actually pretty easy as we're both using the same JL components. To me the 880s are warmer, as in more mid range than the 770s which you would expect. Neither of us are "battle of the sound system" guys so I've never really seen him push his system. The only times either of us have come close to pushing the systems was when surfing and neither system has a problem being heard from behind the boat. Your boat with double the power what I'm running should be a monster. I rarely have to push my system to be heard even when hanging at the island. Then again we're on a small inland lake most of the time and the last thing I need is people complaining about my boat to the association. I typically try to go with the Jedi Knight move as in "this is not the Wake Boat you're looking for" kind of profile. I'll let the kids take the heat from the local cop and the association.

On color I could see you going both ways. I guess matching the "carpets with the curtains" so to speak makes sense and I like white with anodized aluminum as well. My Bimini is an "over the tower" deal that never comes down once I put it up in the spring. It's black along with the tower, accents in the vinyl and in the hull so going with black was easy for me. For yours I'd tend to go with white but I still buy by aluminum wheels that are silver for my cars, so there is that too. It's not that I don't like black wheels on cars, I guess I have a hard time covering up machined aluminum. Too bad they don't offer the JLs in machined aluminum for your boat.

Comment

That's super helpful, thanks BT. Sounds like I'd likely be happy either way, but would have a bit more to work with and a warmer sound with the 880's. Since they don't have a "perfect-fit"/OEM clamp for my tower, I'll need to print out their clamp sizing ruler when I get the boat home and see if the 1.9in inner diameter fixed clamp will work for me. Guessing they'll be just right on my 1 7/8" tower with some thin rubber strips. We're like-minded on the look of the WS (as well as our inconspicuous boating styles), so nice to hear you've been happy with the aesthetics of the JL's. Really appreciate the feedback and thanks again. Wonder what used original Pro 80's are going for these days. I really have no idea. Couple bills?
                    ¡Viva 205V!
                    2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Only one way to find out and Tis the Season so to speak. There are tons of threads being started with people looking to upgrade their systems. Throw them up for what you think is fair and let the response guide you as to what they're worth.

Comment

Working...
                      X