Fast Fill Johnson pumps failing on 2021 x24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Fill Johnson pumps failing on 2021 x24

I used the search button and didn’t find anything specific to this scenario.

I used the boat for two seasons. Has 97 hours on it now. When I winterized the ballast pumps last year I noticed the sound on the starboard was way weaker than the port. Decided to troubleshoot in the spring.

Got the boat out today to look into it more and 3 of the 4 rear tank pumps are frozen. Cannot be turned by hand. The starboard side will just pop both breakers after about 5 seconds. No movement or sound in the motors at all. (Base of motor gets warm and I hear the relay click) Then one of the port pumps will turn but doesn’t sound as robust as I remember. The other is frozen as well. I opened the cap on all of them and only the working one would turn by hand but not smoothly. Had hesitations in it.

Has anyone else ran into this with the Fast Fill pumps. The other 3 pumps for the front and mid tank seem to be fine. The rears are right under where the hatch pivots so it could be getting more water on them than the others? They also run longer to fill up all the way.

I saw some posts about other models and years getting water in the motors of the pumps and rusting. I saw some people took them apart and cleaned and lubricated and had no more problems. This is a warranty issue but also need to plan ahead if they can’t source any.

Pumps are Johnson 10-24939-18. Johnson Talulah high flow or I’m seeing some called Johnson Rapid Rogue ballast pump with the same pics and model number. Sold out everywhere. I know it should be replaced under warranty but I’m worried they won’t have any either.

Try Midwest Mastercraft, I got a couple from them a month ago after waiting for over 6 months from another supplier that had them on back order.

Comment

I've never heard of the Johnson Talulah high flow pumps having premature failures. It seems very odd that so many would fail all at once. How are the pumps mounted, is the pump head with the impeller facing down? That's how they're suppose to be mounted according to Johnson? But it does tend to make it a pain to change the impellers.

Yes, there are supply shortages with this particular pump. Not sure if this is accurate or not, but one vendor told me production was halted due to the chip shortage. This particular pump has electronics in the motor assembly to protect against over heating. I had a hard time sourcing some of them for an upgrade I'm doing for my boat, but I finally found a few by searching far and wide. And I ended up getting them for about $250 each.
      -----------------------------------
      Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
      Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
      Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
        I've never heard of the Johnson Talulah high flow pumps having premature failures. It seems very odd that so many would fail all at once. How are the pumps mounted, is the pump head with the impeller facing down? That's how they're suppose to be mounted according to Johnson? But it does tend to make it a pain to change the impellers.

Yes, there are supply shortages with this particular pump. Not sure if this is accurate or not, but one vendor told me production was halted due to the chip shortage. This particular pump has electronics in the motor assembly to protect against over heating. I had a hard time sourcing some of them for an upgrade I'm doing for my boat, but I finally found a few by searching far and wide. And I ended up getting them for about $250 each.
        Yes it does seem odd that 3 of 4 failed. But its all the ones that are right under the hatch pivot and they are mounted motor down from the factory. My guess is water got in them and they are all kinds of rusted. My batteries were freshly charged when I tried this but the dealer told me I need to try it with the boat running and in the water because they take so much current especially to initially break loose. I guess maybe the extra voltage from the alt could help break loose but I doubt it. Either way the whole reason I got in to check it was because I was having performance issues out of the starboard side last season so it wasnt like all three just suddenly failed. I think they've been degrading. The long sit over the winter just got them even more bound up possibly.

I don't plan on pulling the boat out of storage and running it for at least another month but I'd like to have this issue fixed well before the season so I need to start now.

I have found some but they are not cheap. The dealer hasn't said whether or not they can get any because they are not talking replacement yet.

Comment

I checked to be sure the correct voltage was getting to each pump. It was. Sounds like replacement pumps won’t be an issue. They said they hadn’t heard of many failures like this so may have just gotten a bad batch. O well. Going to be an easy fix.

Comment

Warranty covered 3 new pumps no problem. I live 3 hours from my dealer so I elected to replace myself. The time and cost of diesel to take to the dealer was too much. Has anyone tried removing the hoses from the 1.5 inch barbed elbow when the factory loaded it will silicone is very very difficult. Ive tried heating them up. I was able to twist the hose but cannot get it pulled off.

Comment

They are difficult whether there is silicone or not. Heat is the trick, but you have to get them pretty hot all around the perimeter of the hose. Use a heat gun on high and get the hoses too hot to touch all the way around.
              -----------------------------------
              Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
              Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
              Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Yes hoses are painful to remove but possible with pry and pull. Eventually they break free

Comment

Heat was the ticket. Got them off and 2 of the 3 new pumps in.

Comment

Working...
                  X