Adding Ballast to Maristar 230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Ballast to Maristar 230

I'm thinking about adding aftermarkert automatic ballast to my 2001 Maristar 230. I currently have a couple sacks with a tsunami pump, but it's too much of a hassle to change sides for surfing and what not. I have seen a lot of good things about people dealing with Wakemakers when dealing with this type of project. Does anybody have a good contact there to discuss the below questions with? Any other replies are welcome as well.

My Questions:
    1. How much ballast should I add and in what locations? (Main purpose would be for surfing)

A little additional information related to the above - I currently have dual batteries in the back side compartment along with the dual battery switch. Would I need to move the battery set up underneath the spotter seat?

2. What kind of cost would I be looking at if I purchased all materials (sacks, pumps, etc.) and paid for a professional install (as a side job)?

I appreciate any and all responses.

I just did a system on my 225 maristar. I purchased everything from wakemakers as there cost is very competitive. I run a puppy pump from a thru hull fitting with a shut off valve to two 750lb sacks in the lockers. On the starboard sac I ran a shutoff valve inline so when not wakeboarding i can only fill the port sac for surfing. I also ran the vent lines to a "T'' fitting then to a stainless thru hull just under the rub rail.
    I also keep a 425lb sac filled in the ski locker.
    I drilled the hull just aft of the fuel tank and on the port side of the transmission. There isnt much room but just enough to install and operate the shut off fitting onto the thru hull fitting.

I picked up the sacs on craigs list for $100 and the pump,fittings,hose was under $300
    Last edited by jeffw; 06-15-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

without pictures, i can't comment on your batteries, but i'll tell you how mine are set up. on my 02 X30, so same hull as yours, i've got one battery in a transverse fashion butted up against the divider between the starboard rear corner seat and the starboard locker. its in a battery box. the second battery is in a similar location in the port locker although there is no divider there. its just butted up against the back wall of the port rear corner seat. again in a battery box. i've noticed that when i run the 750 bag in the locker full, sometimes it will dislodge the cover to the box as it looks like it squishes the box a bit. no big deal. if i had to do it over, i don't think its would be worth the effort the move them all the way up to under the observers seat. although from a pure weight distribution standpoint, it would help distribute weight when i'm the only male in the boat and i'm driving. my remedy to that is just to have my wife drive. fortunately, she's a pretty good driver.

Comment

Would love to see what you end up with. I have a 2000 maristar 230 and have done the last two seasons with the sacks and tsunami pumps. I am totally over that and want a more permanent solution as well. Wish I could get some poly tanks made for each side of engine and then do sacks under seats or something. I'm sure someone will weigh in would some good ideas. Quite frankly I can surf behind mine with no ballast at all but of course the wake is not nearly as big as I would like it. Good luck.

Comment

There was a link to a thread on another website where someone installed a automated system in a 205V. Think the other website is defunct as link doesn't work. Wanting to do this as well as would gladly invest some time to automate the manual 3sack system I currently have. I've seen relay boxes and relay harness. Wondering if this is the best way to do it or if I can get by running directly through the switches? Both batteries are under the observers seat so would have to tap into power for the starter leads to use the relays...

Comment

what are you guys doing for weight to get a good surf wave? I just bought my 1999 230 a month ago and just got it out to surf this past weekend. i couldn't really get a good clean wave with the 3 sacs i have- i'm not sure of their weight as they came with the boat, but they don't appear to be anything over 400#'s.

Comment

Originally posted by jafo9 View Post
              without pictures, i can't comment on your batteries, but i'll tell you how mine are set up. on my 02 X30, so same hull as yours, i've got one battery in a transverse fashion butted up against the divider between the starboard rear corner seat and the starboard locker. its in a battery box. the second battery is in a similar location in the port locker although there is no divider there. its just butted up against the back wall of the port rear corner seat. again in a battery box. i've noticed that when i run the 750 bag in the locker full, sometimes it will dislodge the cover to the box as it looks like it squishes the box a bit. no big deal. if i had to do it over, i don't think its would be worth the effort the move them all the way up to under the observers seat. although from a pure weight distribution standpoint, it would help distribute weight when i'm the only male in the boat and i'm driving. my remedy to that is just to have my wife drive. fortunately, she's a pretty good driver.
              Originally posted by jeffw View Post
              I just did a system on my 225 maristar. I purchased everything from wakemakers as there cost is very competitive. I run a puppy pump from a thru hull fitting with a shut off valve to two 750lb sacks in the lockers. On the starboard sac I ran a shutoff valve inline so when not wakeboarding i can only fill the port sac for surfing. I also ran the vent lines to a "T'' fitting then to a stainless thru hull just under the rub rail.
              I also keep a 425lb sac filled in the ski locker.
              I drilled the hull just aft of the fuel tank and on the port side of the transmission. There isnt much room but just enough to install and operate the shut off fitting onto the thru hull fitting.

I picked up the sacs on craigs list for $100 and the pump,fittings,hose was under $300
              Originally posted by cwoods915 View Post
              I'm thinking about adding aftermarkert automatic ballast to my 2001 Maristar 230. I currently have a couple sacks with a tsunami pump, but it's too much of a hassle to change sides for surfing and what not. I have seen a lot of good things about people dealing with Wakemakers when dealing with this type of project. Does anybody have a good contact there to discuss the below questions with? Any other replies are welcome as well.

My Questions:
              1. How much ballast should I add and in what locations? (Main purpose would be for surfing)

A little additional information related to the above - I currently have dual batteries in the back side compartment along with the dual battery switch. Would I need to move the battery set up underneath the spotter seat?

2. What kind of cost would I be looking at if I purchased all materials (sacks, pumps, etc.) and paid for a professional install (as a side job)?

Hey can you guys post great photos of your installs? Looking to do the same on my Maristar this fall. thanks so much! This boat was a saving grace during the pandemic and I’d love to do what you all did with ballast

Comment

Any updates? - Same situation here

We've got a 2003 Maristar 230 which we've been weighting out with locker sacs and portable pump. I've priced out a full system from Wakemakers but would be interested in checking in with anyone who's done an install. We'll need to drill holes, mount pumps, run lines, etc. I'm also curious about whether relocating the batteries is necessary (mine are both in trays in the aft, port locker almost under the rear seat)?

Can anyone point to a previous install thread, interesting videos or other resources? Does anyone sell the OEM setup? Does anyone sell salvaged systems for ballast and/or gen2 surf hardware? It feels like Wakemakers has cornered the market, but I'm sure someone else is doing it too.

-Thx

Comment

You don’t have to relocate your batteries necessarily but have to plan your bag size/design around them and decide if it’s worth the effort.
                  There are other options for ballast out there. the wakemakers ballast control system is simply easier to work with then gathering the parts and wiring yourself. It’s plug and play. But you can find all the fittings, pumps, wire, adhesives, hose, switches, in many places. You have to get creative finding a timer module potentiometer. I looked at doing the self-method for many months, in the end I decided to buy the wakemakers kit for convenience of ordering and installing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My ballast install thread, It's on a different model boat, but might help:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=58915
                    OH-IO!

Comment

I've got a 230 as well, and have been messing with the ballast for a while, trying to get a wave I can ride. I have 1100 in each locker, 350 in the ski locker, 750 under the bow seats. I've got a suction wake shaper (forgot the brand), and while I get a pretty massive wave (~2.5-3 ft?), I can't get enough push to ride without holding the rope.
                      My son is 5'10, 170 lbs and can surf ropeless.

I'm somewhat heavier than him, maybe that's the issue? I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the boards we have- Ronix Thruster and LF Happy Pill. I've thought about maybe something semi-custom for me, but unless I know for sure it'll work, I'm hesitant to throw that kind of money at a board and still not be able to drop the rope.

I've tried with full ballast as well as changing the amounts in the various bags, still no luck. Big wave, but it still doesn't push me.

I know @ProStar205 has a 230 as well, and he's said he's got a really solid wake, and a very clean install. Maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts.

G

Comment

Originally posted by cwoods915 View Post
                        My Questions:

1. 720's in the Rear Lockers, The custom KGB bag in the floor locker is around 325 lbs, honestly you need some more weight in the front, you could do a bag the u shaped one under the front seats or lead.
                        2. Cost depends on how you do it, I did the MC relay box off Great Lake skipper, 3 pumps, 3 through hulls in the bottom, 3 in the side, with one way valves so it empties out of the side, brass shut off valves. drilling though the bottom you need to be super careful to ensure the valves will fit. I used magnets to determine the proper location before drilling.
                        Here are some pics.
                        https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...d.php?t=102935

Comment

The 230 must be different than the X2, with my X2 I would have said you have to much weight in the front. Front weight in mine would make the wake longer but less push. I would just fill the rears to gain push, but I would lose length.
                          OH-IO!

Comment

Working...
                          X