No announcement yet.

Ballast timers that ACTUALLY WORK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I'm still programming timers, but this time of year everyone is (understandably) in a hurry to get timers returned ASAP. I was thinking about getting a portable programmer that I could send out to people and have them flash their own timers. This would cut down on the ballast pump down-time needed for shipping back and forth. Once complete, you'd then send the programmer back to me.

You'd need to remove the timer box, remove the timers, open them up, plug in the programmer, flash new firmware then reassemble. But you could do it quickly without shipping me the timer module and you wouldn't need to cut the wires to the pumps.

Anyone interested?
    '07 Navy Blue X2 MCX
    http://www.wakeblaster.com/
    Ballast Timer Reprogramming Info
    Timer Reprogramming Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by tr6coug View Post
      So, I'm still programming timers, but this time of year everyone is (understandably) in a hurry to get timers returned ASAP. I was thinking about getting a portable programmer that I could send out to people and have them flash their own timers. This would cut down on the ballast pump down-time needed for shipping back and forth. Once complete, you'd then send the programmer back to me.

You'd need to remove the timer box, remove the timers, open them up, plug in the programmer, flash new firmware then reassemble. But you could do it quickly without shipping me the timer module and you wouldn't need to cut the wires to the pumps.

Anyone interested?
      I am. I'll be test subject number 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by tr6coug View Post
        So, I'm still programming timers, but this time of year everyone is (understandably) in a hurry to get timers returned ASAP. I was thinking about getting a portable programmer that I could send out to people and have them flash their own timers. This would cut down on the ballast pump down-time needed for shipping back and forth. Once complete, you'd then send the programmer back to me.

Anyone interested?
        Put me at number 2 in line for this method.
        ~Insert clever signature here~

Comment

• Just an idea but instead of shipping it back to you they could just ship it on to the next person......At least with members of the forum this may work.... You would probably want to have a system for a deposit to hold until its returned to your or arrives to the next person.
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
          She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!

Comment

• Im all for it! Put me in line please!

Comment

• OK. I'll start working on this and post here when I have it figured out.
              '07 Navy Blue X2 MCX

Comment

• So I'm planning this upgrade to my timers, but I'm very curious.
                If you dumped the code from the original programming, what exactly were these things trying to do that fails so miserably for everyone? I wonder if the sensing function could just use some relaxing/tightening of the thresholds to make it work as intended? Do you have a dump of the code you can share? Maybe similar to the timing adjustment you created, you could adjust the sensitivity to whatever it's measuring. Just thinking out loud here...
                boats rock, but don't rock the boat

Comment

• Originally posted by trunderw View Post
                  So I'm planning this upgrade to my timers, but I'm very curious.
                  If you dumped the code from the original programming, what exactly were these things trying to do that fails so miserably for everyone? I wonder if the sensing function could just use some relaxing/tightening of the thresholds to make it work as intended? Do you have a dump of the code you can share? Maybe similar to the timing adjustment you created, you could adjust the sensitivity to whatever it's measuring. Just thinking out loud here...
                  I'm not sure what fails so miserably, but I suspect that the code that monitors motor current is too sensitive. After an over current is detected I think there is some time delay built in so that you can only run the pump for a few seconds then it automatically shuts off. Then the controllers get stuck in this loop of over-current -> time limit -> over-current.

Dumping the original code and modifying the thresholds is what I originally wanted to do. Unfortunately, the microcontroller in the timer is code-protected meaning that you cannot read the original firmware but you CAN over-write it. So, I had to write new firmware from scratch.

The firmware that I install doesn't monitor motor current or battery voltage. It just turns the pumps on and off for a specific amount of time.

Simplicity = Reliability
                  '07 Navy Blue X2 MCX

Comment

• Ah sucks about the code protection, but not surprising. Completely agree that your approach is simpler. Maybe it's the mcocd, buy I still want to know what isn't working. You would think that over time, the pumps would pull more current just due to age/wear/no lubrication so maybe that's the issue. I have one pump that is notoriously annoying, meaning I sometimes spend a few minutes getting it to start. If I swapped one of the other pumps that work to that power source, it would theoretically work in that location (right?). I wonder also if some lubrication may also help buy time. If the little black box wasn't put in the worst possible spot on the x14 I'd probably not even be typing this =)

Comment

• Yeah, you could swap pump power wires to a different timer and see if the problem follows the pump or stays with the timer.

I don't think pump age has much to do with it. My pumps were unreliable from day one. There is likely a lot of variation in pumps and how much current they draw. I think the controllers just were't designed to handle the variation in pumps.
                      '07 Navy Blue X2 MCX

Comment

• Count me in for the mobile programmer.

Shipping to the next user is a great idea!

Comment

• So, I bought a new portable programmer that does not need to be connected to a PC to reprogram the timers. I have tested it and it seems to work well.

I wrote up a procedure for reprogramming your own timers and it makes sense to me, but I have also reprogrammed hundreds of timers, so if a couple people would be willing to review it for me and offer any feedback, I'd appreciate it. Let me know and I'll email it to you.
                          Attached Files
                          '07 Navy Blue X2 MCX

Comment

• Got mine back today. Thanks for the quick turn around!

Comment

• just found this thread after searching how to change the timers. With my stock ballast and extra ballast I swear I have hit the switch 30 time to get the extra bags to fill or empty.

I would definitely be in for this programmer. the timing is perfect as the boat is down for the next week while I swap the transmission. let mw know what is best.

I have a 2010 mastercraft x2 with mcx.

thanks
                              Paul

Comment

• I'll read the instructions if you want to send them...

Comment

Working...
                                X