No announcement yet.

Wake Gate - Wake Enhancement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over on the MalibuCrew forum, some of the guys are building these out of Lenco surf tab kits and attaching kitchen cutting boards or Lexan Polycarbonate to the actuators.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLAR-GRAY-P...item53e51f1493

I'd love to give this a shot myself, but I don't really want a Malibu.

Comment

Originally posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
      Over on the MalibuCrew forum, some of the guys are building these out of Lenco surf tab kits and attaching kitchen cutting boards or Lexan Polycarbonate to the actuators.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLAR-GRAY-P...item53e51f1493

I'd love to give this a shot myself, but I don't really want a Malibu.
      There are also some less expensive options in HDPE. While white is probably the cheapest, you can get black, red etc to match your gel coat, a look I think I'd prefer over the smoked/grey polycarbonate. Plus it has a little give, less brittle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Comment

Does your x2 have the wakeplate?

Comment

What is the "XRT" rope mechanism you are using? I am trying to find something like that

Disregard that post....I apologize I found it...

Comment

I have 2013 X2 with the gen 1 system. It is good, but not great. I would like to try out something like this and see what I can do to clean up the wake.

pm sent
            2013 X2 ss w/ pro package

Apparently, I have a totally different sense of humor. -- Andrew Eldritch

Comment

keep us all posted. As u can tell, the guys with "older boats" are always looking to improve. i was looking at this on a malibu and wondered if it could be done for MC> i notice when i am surfin the platforn cutting into the wake and it has to be screwing up the shape of it.
              Billy "Shamrock IV" Burgess Jr.

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
              1973 S&S

Look for me on CHL!! I am in a MC of some sort lol!!!

Comment

There has been several setups! I built one 2 years ago worked decent but it never surfed starboard very good. My current setup is a copycat of the gen 2 system and we surf both sides! I will get a pic up when Photobucket works!

Last edited by thamax; 07-24-2014, 03:12 PM. Reason: post pics!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShamrockIV View Post
                  keep us all posted. As u can tell, the guys with "older boats" are always looking to improve. i was looking at this on a malibu and wondered if it could be done for MC> i notice when i am surfin the platforn cutting into the wake and it has to be screwing up the shape of it.
                  Shamrock - I think this would move the water past the platform, and this is another reason that I want to give it a shot. Let me know if you want to get together with a jigsaw and a 12 pack to see what we can do. I live in MJ.

Comment

Originally posted by ShamrockIV View Post
                    I am in the process of creating the port side gate. I picked up some HDPE and am using all stainless steel hardware. I will test it out this weekend to see how surfable the starboard side is. Hope to post more pics and video on Monday. I have already had quite a few people express interest in some gates, so I am working on them as quick as possible. If there is enough interest, I will have a batch machined (final product will be much nicer).

I also noticed that my platform looked like it was messing up the wake, which is why I went through the process of creating this gate. It doesn't seem to have an effect anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by zamboniman View Post
                      Does your x2 have the wakeplate?
                      No attitude adjustment plate or surf tabs. All stock ballast plus 1 - 455lb sac in each rear locker

Correct me if I am wrong, but the premise of the tabs is to introduce lean into the boat while under way. Example: To surf port side, you put the center tab at 50% down and starboard side at 100% down. Does this make the boat list to the port side and create the wave?

With the gates, there is no listing. It simply shifts the wave (delayed convergence). At least that's my basic understanding. Someone with more technical background might be able to explain in more detail.

Comment

Yeah I was just curious of the center attitude adjustment plate and if it was part of the results you were getting. Mine doesn't have it. But I've read comments where a little bit of plate makes the wave better. It was in some discussion around Gen2 where it was necessary for the middle plate to get a clean wave.

Comment

For the record.... I would prefer this to Gen1 2 or 3.... simply becuase to get my boat in the garage I need the swim removed and the transome against the wall. This removable gate deal... well it is literally the only way I can do it! (outside of more fat sacs)

Comment

I am pretty curious about the fact that the boat is weighted evenly with this tab. Is it only effective with the boat weighted evenly? Or will it be effective with the boat weighted to one side? This will be awesome if it works with even weight which = a level boat and no worry for special weighting and still getting a good wave. And if it also works well with a boat weighted on one side to = an amazing wave!

Comment

the prop wash was the biggest problem starboard side!

Comment

Originally posted by rydog View Post
                                I am pretty curious about the fact that the boat is weighted evenly with this tab. Is it only effective with the boat weighted evenly? Or will it be effective with the boat weighted to one side? This will be awesome if it works with even weight which = a level boat and no worry for special weighting and still getting a good wave. And if it also works well with a boat weighted on one side to = an amazing wave!
                                Yes, the boat is weighted evenly. That's probably the biggest advantage for me as the boat is not leaning dangerously close to the water and everyone can sit comfortably without jamming themselves into a corner. I also get to use all of the ballast in the boat, not just half of the system. To top it all off it makes a clean wave with good lip. Until this gate, I have always had to ride with about 6 people to get a wave decent enough to stay up. With this device I am able to free ride with just a driver and 1 observer in the boat! And I am 210lbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X