2001 X-Star Ballast Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 X-Star Ballast Installation

Got a great deal on some Straight Line 900 lbs Sumo bags, as well as an IBS, and our center bag broke, so we redid our entire ballast system. Started with pulling out the hard tanks, then installing everything. Our X-Star has the old aerator pump system, before they switched to the reversible impellers in 2002.

Rear bag installation. Front is connected to the vent, ran a new hose for that since the original line is a little bit short. Rear is the fill, and rear bottom is the drain pump. Existing 90 elbows worked perfectly. Straight Line 1" NPT to 3/4" Quicklok fittings were used.

Since the fill line also wasn't long enough, we got a 3/4" to 3/4" coupler to extend the line.

Here is the drain pump setup. I'm using a 1" NPT to 3/4" NPT bushing, along with a 3/4" NPT male to 3/4" NPT female elbow. All of those can be picked up at Home Depot. The pump was replaced with the Attwood 800 GPH pump, which already has a short 3/4" connection. For our purposes, high drain flow rates was not a priority. A 3/4" female to 3/4" Quicklok fitting was used on the outlet.

Center sac setup. Used a Straight Line Big Bag 375. It bulges up on the ski locker door slightly, but not much. Had to replace the two top straight connectors with 90s, but the bottom was able to use the straight.

Here is the tee to split the vent line to allow both legs of the IBS to fill and drain. 3/4" tee. Line had to be pushed in from the access hole on the driver side, but it was easy with the floor removed. The hole was large enough to allow reaching inside to grab the hose.

IBS installation. Used the Fly High IBS. The bag takes up all the room under the bow seats.

Cut the vent line so that it can go directly to the sac.

Vent for the IBS was the front port rather than the two rear ports I have seen on some installations. We chose this due to the fact that the front should be higher than the rear two legs and allow more air to get out, and that our boat only has one vent thru-hull. I pushed in tubing from observer seat compartment until it got to the front, there was barely enough room for me to grab the hose and pull it through. Did it this way to keep things cleaner.

And that's it for my ballast installation. All fittings, tubing, couplers, tee, and pumps were bought from Wakemakers. Pro tip when pushing the tubing onto the barbs: have a cup of hot water close by. Dip the end of the tubing in the cup for about half a minute, then push it on the barb. It will make it go from near impossible to push on to being a piece of cake. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

I love my 900 Sumo Sacs.
    We defy the mafia!

Comment

I have a 01 X-Star as well and I have removed the hard tanks, and need to replace all of the pump cartridges, I see that the drain pumps on mine are Mayfair/Johnson 1000gph. Where are the fill pumps and are the exact same as the drain? Any help would be appreciated.
      2011 Axis A20
      2001 X-Star - SOLD

Comment

The fill pumps are located underneath the engine. They are the exact same type as the drain pumps. Two of the pumps are under the port (left) side, and one is under the starboard (right) side.

Comment

How much ballast did the stock setup have? How much now?

Nice work!
          I'm an Indy Skiers member. Contact me about course skiing in Indianapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by hangdog12a View Post
            I have a 01 X-Star as well and I have removed the hard tanks, and need to replace all of the pump cartridges, I see that the drain pumps on mine are Mayfair/Johnson 1000gph. Where are the fill pumps and are the exact same as the drain? Any help would be appreciated.
            They should be at the stern as they have holes drilled in the back of the transom and the pumps mount though these holes and have a small screen on the suction. Later models went to jabs do ballast puppies with through hull going underneath bottom of the boat.

Cartridge (motor & impeller) is removable on yours without having to pull the entire pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin View Post
              How much ballast did the stock setup have? How much now?

Nice work!
              Stock setup was about 250 in each rear tank and about 300 in the middle. I'm just estimating, I would say we can fill up about 600-700 in each rear tank and about 800-900 combined in front.

Comment

Nice work. With this quality of install, you might want to consider replacing your worm drive clamps with pinch clamps. It will give your work an even more professional look. Even better, they don't have the sharp "tail" sticking out like a worm drive clamp so no snagged life jackets (or for that matter, snagged hands).

You might hear pinch clamps called Oetiker clamps because Oetiker was the first company to make them. Oetiker brand pinch clamp pliers (the red ones on the photo below) are around $100. But I bought a pair at Home Depot for $10 (the blue ones in the photo below) and they work fine. I think they're Ideal brand.

Once you own a pair of pliers, the clamps are cheap -- around a buck or two each at a hose supply store or Amazon.
                Attached Files

Comment

Can you buy The fittings that connect to the fly high bags from Home Depot or do you need to buy them from wake makers?

Comment

Fittings

Do I need the quick connect fittings from wake makers or can I find fittings that will work at Home Depot for the pro x bags

Comment

Originally posted by Mx-112 View Post
                      Do I need the quick connect fittings from wake makers or can I find fittings that will work at Home Depot for the pro x bags
                      Quick connect fittings won't be found at HD. WakeMakers is your best bet for those.

Comment

Tsumi,

Can you give me a little more info on the IBS. I currently have the exact setup you do minus the bow bag. Does the vent from the center bag go to the "Fill" for the bow? And the bow bag then vents to the original ski locker thru hull vent? How does the draining of the bow bag work since there should be two drain lines (one for each leg) correct?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Tsumi View Post
                          Got a great deal on some Straight Line 900 lbs Sumo bags, as well as an IBS, and our center bag broke, so we redid our entire ballast system. Started with pulling out the hard tanks, then installing everything. Our X-Star has the old aerator pump system, before they switched to the reversible impellers in 2002.

Rear bag installation. Front is connected to the vent, ran a new hose for that since the original line is a little bit short. Rear is the fill, and rear bottom is the drain pump. Existing 90 elbows worked perfectly. Straight Line 1" NPT to 3/4" Quicklok fittings were used.

Since the fill line also wasn't long enough, we got a 3/4" to 3/4" coupler to extend the line.

Here is the drain pump setup. I'm using a 1" NPT to 3/4" NPT bushing, along with a 3/4" NPT male to 3/4" NPT female elbow. All of those can be picked up at Home Depot. The pump was replaced with the Attwood 800 GPH pump, which already has a short 3/4" connection. For our purposes, high drain flow rates was not a priority. A 3/4" female to 3/4" Quicklok fitting was used on the outlet.

Center sac setup. Used a Straight Line Big Bag 375. It bulges up on the ski locker door slightly, but not much. Had to replace the two top straight connectors with 90s, but the bottom was able to use the straight.

Here is the tee to split the vent line to allow both legs of the IBS to fill and drain. 3/4" tee. Line had to be pushed in from the access hole on the driver side, but it was easy with the floor removed. The hole was large enough to allow reaching inside to grab the hose.

IBS installation. Used the Fly High IBS. The bag takes up all the room under the bow seats.

Cut the vent line so that it can go directly to the sac.

Vent for the IBS was the front port rather than the two rear ports I have seen on some installations. We chose this due to the fact that the front should be higher than the rear two legs and allow more air to get out, and that our boat only has one vent thru-hull. I pushed in tubing from observer seat compartment until it got to the front, there was barely enough room for me to grab the hose and pull it through. Did it this way to keep things cleaner.

And that's it for my ballast installation. All fittings, tubing, couplers, tee, and pumps were bought from Wakemakers. Pro tip when pushing the tubing onto the barbs: have a cup of hot water close by. Dip the end of the tubing in the cup for about half a minute, then push it on the barb. It will make it go from near impossible to push on to being a piece of cake. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
                          Tsumi,

How well does this system work for you. Or anyone that has done this. Does the ibs fill fine and drain fully?

Comment

The IBS does fill and drain fully, it pushes all of the seat cushions and cupholders up in the bow. So actually, our bow space is a tad bit too small for the IBS, but you gotta work with what you have.

The vent line of the ski locker bag goes to a T (had to add this ourselves), which then go to each leg of the IBS.

Mostly troublefree, however, our valve for the center sack leaks, and probably needs replacement. We have just taken to filling it up and then switching the valve to the closed position. Haven't gone wakeboarding much with this setup though. However, with both the center bag and bow ballast full, the ride goes from punishing to tolerable on busy days.

Comment

The pinch clamps and tool are commonly used for sprinkler installations so you can typically find these where sprinkler stuff is sold. Same with the normal pluming fittings (1" or 3/4" wye, elbow, etc). The quick connects to the bags are all proprietary straightline so you'll only find these at ballast shops.

Comment

Working...
                              X