2003 MariStar 210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 MariStar 210

Trying to finalize the planning for adding ballast to our 2003 MariStar 210.

I want all the ballast to be hidden and on switchable pumps. The goal is to have a clean install and the ability to surf after adding a suckgate.

I'm still not clear of what type of pump is best to go with be it impeller or aerator.

Am I going in the right selection with this bag selection? Really want to make sure the under-seat bow bags are the right ones and the ski locker bag fits.

Thanks for any insights you can share.
    Attached Files

Isnt your generation of Maristar the same hull as an x10? I may be wrong here, but thought I had heard that somewhere before.

If so, Wakemakers has the custom piggyback systems already packaged.

Rear: https://www.wakemakers.com/mastercra...t-upgrade.html

Front: https://www.wakemakers.com/mastercra...st-system.html

Comment

Not familiar with your boat but I retro-fitted my ‘99 205v with ballast bags and pump. Reversible is definitely the way to go, IMO. You’ll only need 1 thru-hull and pump per bag since the bidirectional pump handles both filling and emptying. Makes it much simpler.

Comment

Being a Maristar, I have nothing to piggyback on - no existing ballast or pumps installed on this boat - though the bag capacities line up with what I posted above. Though the prices of the piggyback system are more expensive.

And yes the hull is the same as the X-10, we have an OEM X10 tower with original board racks. Just need a ballast now...

Comment

I have 2001 X-10 with the ski locker bags and rear hatch bags (Wakemakers custom). I ended up with 400lbs of lead in the bow instead of the ballast bags. They fit under the bow center seat keeping some storage up front.

With a suck gate surfing is pretty good. I also carry two 350# floor sacks if I am light on people.

If you haven't got a new prop you will need a new prop to get it going to wakeboard speeds with ballast.

Comment

I’m sure the rear locker bags would fit fine depending on where your batteries are. I ended up with the “Sumo” 650# 40x20x20 in my 2001 Maristar 210 with room for 2 batteries in the starboard locker. I went with the removable pump so I can play with the distribution before I invest the time and money in a fixed system.
            I also went with the weight bags up front (wake ballast) to retain some storage and not have to fill and drain more bags.
            I’ll second the need to change the prop with the weight you’re planning on.

Reversible pumps would be the way to go, but expense really adds up with the required timers etc. if you want to offset fill the bags you would need separate pumps and timers or different valves to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by scustoms View Post
              If you haven't got a new prop you will need a new prop to get it going to wakeboard speeds with ballast.
              Originally posted by crabandy View Post
              I’ll second the need to change the prop with the weight you’re planning on.
              What prop did you upgrade to?

Also, can someone elaborate on timers?

Sorry, I haven't owned a boat since 2005, so I've missed a lot other than bumming a ride to surf once or twice a year while houseboating.

Comment

I'll 3rd the prop change. I still have the stock prop and it works good for surfing with 1900lbs of ballast plus people.

For wakeboarding i have to drop down to about 1000lbs of ballast to get up to 21-22 mph. Which is more than enough wake for me.

Hopefully I can also get a recomendation for a prop.

Comment

I run the OJ WAKEPRO V-3 part #949, 15 X 15 LC 1 1/8" 4-blade which allows me to keep slalom speeds at a low RPM. So far the best investment I have made for surfing and wake-boarding. Any prop manufacturer will be able to help select a prop.

I almost never hit top speed but with the current prop it will easily hit 38mph.

2003ish I want to say Mastercraft changed the shaft size but could be wrong.

Comment

So I'm slow to get back to this project but ordered the bags. Need to get pumps.

Any thoughts on the Johnson Talulah High Flow? 30gpm and I've found them for $230ish.

Also, what's the deal with timers?

BTW I did upgrade the prop to an ACME 1285.

Comment

Originally posted by Nor*Cal View Post
                      So I'm slow to get back to this project but ordered the bags. Need to get pumps.

Any thoughts on the Johnson Talulah High Flow? 30gpm and I've found them for $230ish.

Also, what's the deal with timers?

BTW I did upgrade the prop to an ACME 1285.

I think the only thing to consider with this high flow pump is the 1.5” tubing requires and the thicker wiring required (12 GA to 10 GA is what they recommend with a 50 AMP fuse). If you are getting it from Wakemakers hopefully they will sell you all the kit you need to install. I think the larger tubing will be harder to bend so may need more elbow connectors etc. But the faster you can fill and drain the better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very interested in this, but I don't have any direct experience either. My understanding of the timer is that you need to calibrate after install so the pump will auto-shutdown when the bag is full.

30gpm sounds very fast, I'd never heard of those pumps before but they sound great. Are you doing the install yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by franquellim View Post
                          Are you doing the install yourself?
                          That's the thought today. Too late in the year to get any timely work done by any of the marinas or boat dealers in my area.

Originally posted by Married2Maristar View Post
                          I think the only thing to consider with this high flow pump is the 1.5” tubing requires and the thicker wiring required (12 GA to 10 GA is what they recommend with a 50 AMP fuse). If you are getting it from Wakemakers hopefully they will sell you all the kit you need to install. I think the larger tubing will be harder to bend so may need more elbow connectors etc. But the faster you can fill and drain the better!
                          Good advice. Wakemakers doesn't have a kit for these pumps yet, so I'm looking to put the pieces together myself.

Most bags do not have fittings big enough for these pumps but I'm guessing you could Y into multiple locations on the bag to make up for this?

Might be more trouble than it's worth but I want to add almost 2600lbs of ballast so...

Comment

Wakemakers does have 1.5 inch fittings for their bags - I spoke directly to Bryan at Wakemakers today. And here: https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemaker...g-fitting.html

Comment

The universalFIT bags only have 1" ports so a reducer fitting creates a restriction point. Not sure what the flow loss is but I'm guessing it's not worth the bigger pumps if the bags weren't designed to handle that flow.
                              Last edited by Nor*Cal; 06-23-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X