Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterizing the ballast

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Winterizing the ballast

    I have a 2018 X23... anybody know how to get antifreeze into the hard tanks in order to winterize the pumps? My thru-hull vents have some sort of check valve/stopper that prevents me from sticking a hose into them. Only my thru-hull vents for my ballast bags have no stopper, so I can get a hose into those ones.

    I have 6 overflow vents (and 6 ballast pumps) for the whole ballast system.

  • #2
    For the rear I typically disconnect the hose between hard tank and bag, then pour antifreeze in at that point. Not into the bag, directly into the tank. For the front tank I use a smaller hose which will barely fit into the thru-hull, pour slow and it will make its way into the tank. Then empty tanks and ensure you see pink.
    2018 XT22

    Comment


    • #3
      My boat is much older, but I have a distribution block attached to the stern. There is a hose coming off of it with a cap. You can remove the cap and then just stick the hose in a jug of AF and suck it into the tanks with the pump.
      We defy the mafia!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Millertime View Post
        For the front tank I use a smaller hose which will barely fit into the thru-hull, pour slow and it will make its way into the tank.
        What's the approx diameter of the hose you're able to fit into the bow thru-hull vent? Mines 1/2" and no go.

        Comment


        • #5
          I put a hose in the back where it pulls water and hit the fill so it picked up the antifreeze just like you were filling the bags on the lake. In my 2001 x10 I took the center fatsac and just pulled it out for the winter. First time having this boat during a winter so I’ve been following the posts. Thanks y’all.

          Comment


          • #6
            The tanks don’t need antifreeze it’s the pump and lines. You only put antifreeze in the tank to run through pump and lines. I personally just turn the override on till all the water completely stops.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bsedd View Post
              I put a hose in the back where it pulls water and hit the fill so it picked up the antifreeze just like you were filling the bags on the lake. In my 2001 x10 I took the center fatsac and just pulled it out for the winter. First time having this boat during a winter so I’ve been following the posts. Thanks y’all.
              I believe the intakes for the ballast is on the bottom of my boat and not possible to insert a hose (the inlets have vents on them).

              Comment


              • #8
                Those screens just pop off. At least on my x10 there are three pickups below the swim platform next to the exhaust. I popped those screens off and used a washer water hose and just pushed it tight to those intakes started slowly pouring and turned on the fill to pull the antifreeze through

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bsedd View Post
                  Those screens just pop off. At least on my x10 there are three pickups below the swim platform next to the exhaust. I popped those screens off and used a washer water hose and just pushed it tight to those intakes started slowly pouring and turned on the fill to pull the antifreeze through
                  Ok, next season I'll take a look at those screens then to potentially pop them off. First year with the boat and I finally just decided to let the dealer take care of everything this year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This is my first year as well and decided to take a shot. MC made it extremely easy to winterize. At least on my 2001 x10 but would assume most MC’s would be similar

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My MCOD goes like this:
                      Remove cover to pump, remove impeller, dry pump out with towel, pour gallon of RV antifreeze in hose to tank. Just in case a little water remains. Not convinced tanks ever completely empty.
                      Done.
                      Attached Files
                      09 214 Prostar with MCX

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Millertime View Post
                        For the rear I typically disconnect the hose between hard tank and bag, then pour antifreeze in at that point. Not into the bag, directly into the tank. For the front tank I use a smaller hose which will barely fit into the thru-hull, pour slow and it will make its way into the tank. Then empty tanks and ensure you see pink.
                        Originally posted by sully View Post
                        My MCOD goes like this:
                        Remove cover to pump, remove impeller, dry pump out with towel, pour gallon of RV antifreeze in hose to tank. Just in case a little water remains. Not convinced tanks ever completely empty.
                        Done.
                        These 2 methods are the easiest. You can do #1 for rears and open the in floor hatch by the drain plug to access the front pump and pour the antifreeze in via the pump. If you look at the front tank, a few inches of water remains in them when sitting level, so a steep ramp or hill to get the water out is also a good idea before adding the antifreeze.
                        2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Does anybody know how small the "smaller hose" is to fit into the front thru-hull vent? The smallest hose I have is about 1/2" and it didn't work. We talking 1/4" or smaller?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by yomotha View Post
                            Does anybody know how small the "smaller hose" is to fit into the front thru-hull vent? The smallest hose I have is about 1/2" and it didn't work. We talking 1/4" or smaller?
                            I fought that battle last weekend and found that taking the screws off the ballast pump for the front tank and using a funnel in the pump was MUCH easier.
                            2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X