Dashboard questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashboard questions

A couple of questions related to the dashboard (see photo) of my 94 PS 190.

I'm installing Fell Marine's MOB+ wireless emergency cutoff. Any suggestions on where I should install their hub (see photo), which takes a 2 1/6 inch hole? Compared to the gauges on my dash, it's larger than the smallest and smaller than the largest. I plan to replace the Airguide display on the right with a Perfect Pass display. I've already replaced the clock with a depth sounder display.

I've considered removing the AM/FM radio I don't use and cutting a hole in some sort of blank panel installed in that location, though that would block future installation of a sound component there. Another option I've considered is below the dash. If so, which side would work better? Have you added something down there? How would you attach/support it?

Also, does anyone have a source for the rubbery boots that cover the push switches on the switch panel?

I'm going to replace the original switch panel in the photo with an aluminum one I recently purchased. I'm also going to do something with the fasteners and corners of the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1994 Mastercraft ProStar 190 -- Dashboard (12-9-21).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2695577

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fell Marine MOB+ xHUB.png
Views:	278
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	2695576
    Attached Files
    1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1, ACME 541, PTM Edge VR-140

What is the advantage to having a wireless cutoff switch?

Comment

Originally posted by 01star View Post
      What is the advantage to having a wireless cutoff switch?
      Driver mobility. On the one I'm installing, the engine shut downs when a fob on the driver (on wristband, on lanyard, or in pocket) goes in the water or goes more than 50 feet from the hub on the boat, so I should be able to move all around in my 94 PS 190 without shutting down the engine. You can also put a fob on passengers and get alerted if they go overboard without shutting down the engine, but I'm not doing that on my sub 20 foot boat.

Fell Marine

Comment

Do people actually wear the cutoff switch around their wrist in their MC? How could you possibly fall out? I guess anything is possible.

Comment

Do people actually wear the cutoff switch around their wrist in their MC? How could you possibly fall out? I guess anything is possible.
          A survey here on TT indicated 92 percent do not attach the emergency cutoff lanyard. One mode of being ejected would be if a failure to control the steering wheel properly led the boat to take a hard turn, with the centrifugal force from the turn throwing the driver out of the boat on the side of the boat opposite the turn. I have knowledge of this actually happening. My research indicates Mastercraft boats can vary widely in how much the steering is biased to the right. Such bias exists so the driver can better hold a straight line through a slalom course. I've seen one person say he can take his hands off the wheel at 44 and the boat will continue going straight. Another posted if you take your hands off the wheel at speed his boat will spin. Some people grind the rudder to adjust how hard the boat pulls to one side. I've seen that discussed on TT and Vince at Discount Inboard Marine brought it up with me today. He had a 72 year old boat owner who wanted the bias taken out so his steering was neutral.
          Last edited by lake weir skier; 12-10-2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lake weir skier View Post
            ... I'm also going to do something with the fasteners and corners of the dash.
            I use these on the dash (bottom corners and top...respectively) on my 93. Works like a lucky charm. If you need to reinforce the corners, see the third photo as one of many options. It too works like a lucky charm. I also like MarineTex (gray) as a filler/stiffener a little more than most anything.

$US 0.02.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dash fastener well nut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	2695617

Click image for larger version  Name:	dash fastener u nut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	2695618

Click image for larger version  Name:	Speed Grip Structural Adhesive dash repair.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	2695619
            Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-10-2021, 09:19 PM.
            93 190
            (safe click)

Comment

Brian,
              Also I think your 94 has a plastic backing where the ignition switch snugs up to the dash (on the inside). On mine, it often (used to) did not want to stay in one place (circular orientation) and I could not get it tight (against the plastic) to stay in place...where the switch turns in the hole. I couldn't take it.

I used a large diameter/thin washer to make a solid backing ring [to] then tighten the outer locking nut as tight as it needs to be to secure the switch in place. No more rotating in the hole.

CantRepeat There is something in the photo that you may find amusing.

Don't diss the wiring. If anyone has been in or behind a dash, you know MC made it this way. It is a mess with no good way to organize.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ignition Switch Washer Placement01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	2695621
              Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-10-2021, 10:08 PM.
              93 190
              (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

I use these on the dash (bottom corners and top...respectively) on my 93. Works like a lucky charm. If you need to reinforce the corners, see the third photo as one of many options. It too works like a lucky charm. I also like MarineTex (gray) as a filler/stiffener a little more than most anything.

$US 0.02.

Click image for larger version Name:	dash fastener well nut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	2695617

Click image for larger version Name:	dash fastener u nut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	2695618

Click image for larger version Name:	Speed Grip Structural Adhesive dash repair.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	2695619
                Thanks. I already saw the first two posted by you elsewhere and downloaded them for future reference. I've got to look at those corners. Something may have broken away and gotten lost. I'm not sure. It was years ago. On my list to check out.

Comment

"A kill-switch law has been passed in Texas following a boating accident in Port, Aransas, Texas. The law requires that boat operators of a motor boat 26 feet or less in length be physically connected to a boat’s emergency shutoff switch. Governor Greg Abbott signed the bill on June 10, 2019. It has been called “Kali’s Law” after 16-year-old Kali Gorzell. The young teen died in 2012 after being struck and killed by the propellor of a boat after being ejected. This law complements the required use of a kill switch for PWC’s and will go into effect on September 1, 2019. This makes Texas one of seven states with a mandatory kill-switch law for powerboats."

https://www.boatsmartexam.com/blog/t...ch-law-passed/

Comment

$US 0.02.

Click image for larger version Name:	dash fastener well nut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	2695617

Click image for larger version Name:	dash fastener u nut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	2695618

Click image for larger version Name:	Speed Grip Structural Adhesive dash repair.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	2695619
                    Is this how you used the well nuts on your bottom corners?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpATnkmKzYI

Comment

Originally posted by lake weir skier View Post

Is this how you used the well nuts on your bottom corners?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpATnkmKzYI
                      Yes Sir.

I put the well nut in the dash, then the dash cover on top of the nut, then a washer and screw. Screw expands the well, holding the dash cover in place.

93 190
                      (safe click)

Comment

Yes Sir.

I put the well nut in the dash, then the dash cover on top of the nut, then a washer and screw. Screw expands the well, holding the dash cover in place.

Awesome info. This will work for my dash as well. Thanks waterlogged882
                        2000 MC SportStar
                        2017 SQ5
                        2009 KTM 530 Exc
                        2012 BMW K1300r

Comment

Originally posted by Torstenlaw View Post

Awesome info. This will work for my dash as well. Thanks waterlogged882
                          I use the U-nuts in the top three screws and the well nuts in each bottom corner.

93 190
                          (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                          X