Parasitic Draw on 2001 Prostar 205V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasitic Draw on 2001 Prostar 205V

After draining and killing a new battery I checked for a parasitic draw. The engine is the LTR. No key, nothing on, I am drawing 2.5 amps. I have disconnected the radio, mdc, blower, and pulled the 3 15 amp fuses I could find ( 1 for the fuel pump, and 2 labeled ECM). No change, still drawing 2.5 amps. Is the next step to start disconnecting the wires under the dash that go to the different "breaker" nipples? Any direction would be appreciated

This may be stock but I haven't noticed it in other boats on this site, and I don't know what its purpose is.
    Attached Files

Comment

Aside from the draw, I'd change out each of those nasty looking (old and resistive) cables with new tinned wire cables and lug connectors.

That gadget is a 40A fuse / breaker for the power to whatever the red/white cable provides. Track it down (red/white) and see what it feeds. I suspect that is your cabin panel power.

You spoke of the wires under the dash (gauges??)...I'd put that low on the list of suspect because most (if not all) are wired (piggyback) to power from run on the ignition switch or related. However other wires for whatever they feed, could be suspect. Pull one at a time.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 08-05-2022, 09:17 PM.
      93 190
      (safe click)

Comment

I would isolate the alternator first. A bad diode in the alternator can cause this.
        99 MariStar 230 Sport LTR 330

Comment

Originally posted by mtajpa View Post
          I would isolate the alternator first. A bad diode in the alternator can cause this.
          ^ ^ ^ this

Quick and easy enough.

93 190
          (safe click)

Comment

Working...
          X