No announcement yet.

The Official Dual Battery Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had some trouble locating the Borg Warner Relay that Diesel posted, so I started looking at other options.

Blue Sea System has an Automatic Charging/Isolator Relay that lists at West Marine for $100... too much.

So, I started searching and found it for $65 here

The site says that it is backordered, but I received mine in 3 days.

The Blue Seas Systems unit looks GREAT, so I am thinking I am going to mount it in plain site, rather than having to hide the Borg Warner unit.

-Cameron
    2007 ProStar 197
    1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• You just run a cord to that thing?

Originally posted by bturner2
      Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

Comment

• No, two positive cables, a negative wire and an ignition wire... pretty much just like the Borg unit, only it has a neat little cover to pretty it up a bit!

-Cameron
        2007 ProStar 197
        1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• Sodar, what kind of battery is your stock battery? Is it a Deka? If so, IMO I would get a second Deko over an optima. I looked at Optimas and Odysseys, but after reading a thread on WW and talking with my dealer, I've decided to stick with the Deka's.
          www.nwboatsports.com
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/NW-Bo...27792007306783

Comment

• Originally posted by sand2snow22 View Post
            Sodar, what kind of battery is your stock battery? Is it a Deka? If so, IMO I would get a second Deko over an optima. I looked at Optimas and Odysseys, but after reading a thread on WW and talking with my dealer, I've decided to stick with the Deka's.
            I am not sure. It is the stock battery, straight from the factory. I have never popped the battery area to see what it is.
            -Cameron
            2007 ProStar 197
            1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• Ask Erkle what they use. Here is the WW thread:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...83/665702.html
              www.nwboatsports.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Sodar View Post
                No, two positive cables, a negative wire and an ignition wire... pretty much just like the Borg unit, only it has a neat little cover to pretty it up a bit!

I got it that instead of the red perko I have to isolate my starter. I also use an echo charger so the starter gets a trickle back from the stereo batteries and starter battery stays 100%

Been a while but Diesel didn't like the perko right? Going on my forth year and nothing from the switch.

Edit I also have a regulator off the alternator that gives a digital readout of the alt output and a bunch of other crap I don't use, but its high on the cool factor.
                Last edited by TX.X-30 fan; 02-13-2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• You started drinking, yet?
                  -Cameron
                  2007 ProStar 197
                  1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• Yes but I'm naturally slow if that's your point.

Comment

• I was talking about your post. I cannot follow it?

Is my interpretation correct?

I got it that instead of the red perko I have to isolate my starter.(You understand where I am going to be using the relay?) I also use an echo charger so the starter gets a trickle back from the stereo batteries and stays 100%. (You use a charger to keep your batteries 100%)

Been a while but Diesel didn't like the perko right? (Yes, diesel don't like the Perko) Going on my forth year and nothing from the switch. (You have a Perko switch, but have gone 4 years without issue?)
                      -Cameron
                      2007 ProStar 197
                      1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• Where are you using the relay, I missed some of this earlier obviously. yes perko has been fine, hell it does not do much to screw up. I do use a trickle charger in the off season and a few time during the summer if we hammer the batts and head back in with no time to recharge them.

Comment

• Originally posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
                          I do use a trickle charger in the off season
                          You have an off season? That's due to lack of water, right
                          www.nwboatsports.com

Comment

• Originally posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
                            Where are you using the relay, I missed some of this earlier obviously. yes perko has been fine, hell it does not do much to screw up. I do use a trickle charger in the off season and a few time during the summer if we hammer the batts and head back in with no time to recharge them.
                            Noted.

The isolator will be used to isolate my stereo battery from my starter battery. It automatically connects the two batteries in parallel when it senses a charge and disconnects it when there is not.
                            -Cameron
                            2007 ProStar 197
                            1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• Gotcha, I do it different even though my starter battery is a stand alone. With the echo charger is bleeds back a trickle to the starter if it senses a drop in the starter battery charge. I get a flashing green light when its charging the starter batt and a solid light when that batt is full.

I have a problem only when the whole system drops below 11.5 amp output, the stereo batteries will output 12 until the are almost fully discharged. That is what gives me the hours of tunes floating. I spent more on the two stereo batteries instead of doing a row of cheaper batteries.

I have posted the setup before and its bulletproof.

Comment

• i don't get it. what's the difference between that and a seperator?
                                ¡Viva 205V!
                                2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Working...
                                X