No announcement yet.

The Official Dual Battery Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea, i was going to use the perko switch to distribute the charge between the batteries. I understand what your saying with the distribution block for the ground... but was looking for someone's else diagram for their setup so i know i have this right.

Comment

• Here is my diagram pulled from my brothers boat and now used in mine.
      Attached Files
      If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
      1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

• Ok I'm good with the relay, but do have one question. I'm going to put my second battery in the back with my first batttery. Will the relay be ok back there with the gas tank or do I need to put it somewhere else?

Comment

• A relay is a switch. I would worry about an arc in the back enclosed compartment filled with gas fumes. Yikes. I put both batteries under spotter seat. Factory cables reached actually. I didn't even want a single battery in the same compartment as the fuel.

Comment

• I want to install a battery charger in my boat. Either a Guest or ProMariner. Is it as simple as mounting the thing on the partition and attaching the leads to the + and - on both batteries?

I have a Guest 1, 2, Both and Off switch, and a battery on either side of the boat. Theres just a ton of wires connected to them, and I have no idea how they are all linked up. Here are some photos. It appears the positives are both into some kind of small boxes on both sides of the boat. See pictures below. 1st and 2nd are star side battery, guest switch and the little box the positives are attached to, 3 and 4 are port side same. Any advice?
            Attached Files

Comment

• battery doctor

I am not sure if anyone else has tried something like this, but I thought it would work great vs. having to remember to flip a switch.....

I have installed this "Battery Doctor" picked it up at Fleet farm, it is an automatic battery isolater, that detects voltage based on the alternator running or not. So it isolates my deep cycle from my starting battery when the boat is off.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-acc-200...-isolator.html

Comment

• Reposted elsewhere.
                Last edited by vandit0022; 06-13-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by carlsonwa View Post
                  I am not sure if anyone else has tried something like this, but I thought it would work great vs. having to remember to flip a switch.....

I have installed this "Battery Doctor" picked it up at Fleet farm, it is an automatic battery isolater, that detects voltage based on the alternator running or not. So it isolates my deep cycle from my starting battery when the boat is off.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-acc-200...-isolator.html

Does this not require running the isolator to the ignition ??

Comment

• No ignition input required. It monitors voltage on the main/ or starter battery.

Which rests at about 11.5-12.5 volts when the engine is off and will jump to 13-15 volts when the alternator/ engine are running. Then it connects the 2 batteries in parallel allowing the deep cycle to be charged.

Comment

• wow. Im getting this.

anyone want a stringer 200amp isolator? I will not be install that as i dont want to take my dash apart.

Comment

• So, it seems all the previous methods require the same battery types. Would this BattDR need to be the same battery type also? I'd really like to have a deep cycle and a starting battery.

Comment

• Doesn't say that you cannot have 2 different types. I have a marine starting for main battey and marine deep cycle for aux/ stereo.

Comment

• Originally posted by agarabaghi View Post
                            wow. Im getting this.

anyone want a stringer 200amp isolator? I will not be install that as i dont want to take my dash apart.
                            yesterday i took my dash apart to locate and connect the purple wire. its an easy task. 2 screws and 3 plastic pins to remove..
                            2005 X2

Comment

• i instaled a ss598 Solenoid. The auto part person told me it was the same thing as a Borg Warner R3098.
                              After 30 minutes of riding, the isolator caught on fire and the ignition breaker went off... We had a lot of smoke coming off the observer seat. Luckily, it dind't do any damage to my elecgtrical system.
                              can someone confirm the spec of the ss598 solenoid ?
                              2005 X2

Comment

• yikes. that sounds like a faulty product or install.

Comment

Working...
                                X