1994 ProStar 205 voltage gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 ProStar 205 voltage gauge

Hello All- any advice/discussion appreciated- my 1994 PS 205 shows the minimum voltage value on the dash gauge (8 volts, I think?) even with a fully charged and/or new battery. It used to read the proper voltage, ie. with a new battery it would show 12 volts and while running the motor, maybe even slightly more. I have pulled the dash and checked for loose wires to no avail. My question- can the gauge go "bad" and show incorrect voltage? How can I measure the "actual" voltage so I can compare that to what is shown on the gauge? Thanks !

Yes gauge can go bad...

good battery at 100% should read 12.5-12.6 volts. While running volt meter should show 14ish volts.

You should have those same readings at voltmeter. could be corroded contact points
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by col rhino View Post
      Hello All- any advice/discussion appreciated- my 1994 PS 205 shows the minimum voltage value on the dash gauge (8 volts, I think?) even with a fully charged and/or new battery. It used to read the proper voltage, ie. with a new battery it would show 12 volts and while running the motor, maybe even slightly more. I have pulled the dash and checked for loose wires to no avail. My question- can the gauge go "bad" and show incorrect voltage? How can I measure the "actual" voltage so I can compare that to what is shown on the gauge? Thanks !
      Check with Footin on this Forum by sending him a PM. He has a solution.
      If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
      1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Try this......

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...908#post936908
        - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Originally posted by col rhino View Post
          Use a DVOM and measure the battery so you know how much voltage is available, measure the ignition switch and associated wires at gauges, yes gauges can go bad but more than likely you have corrosion, loose connection in the wiring harness or a bad ignition switch. DVOM can be had for less than $10 at cheapo stores.
          /spĂ´rk/
          a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

Comment

That's why I love this forum- thanks guys, for the information. I'll try the fix in a couple of days when I get back home and post the results. Thanks again!

Comment

Did the fix in the thread and it works just as advertised- many thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and expertise with others!

Comment

Great to hear! I've done it as well but have yet to get the boat on the water to see if it worked or not. It sure seemed simple enough to do though.

Congrats!
                - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Working...
                X