Ignition coil 1990 PS190

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition coil 1990 PS190

I need to replace ignition coil. Does anyone know of a way to cross reference ignition coils to standard automotive types for that era? Boat has a Ford 351 in it, I think the MS p/n is 80929700. Thank you in advance.

I have the same boat, I will look when I get home.
    Originally posted by ramzak
    ..... Its not the early 90's anymore! NOBODY Skis anymore!
    ...I ski

Comment

Originally posted by George Lyon View Post
      I need to replace ignition coil. Does anyone know of a way to cross reference ignition coils to standard automotive types for that era? Boat has a Ford 351 in it, I think the MS p/n is 80929700. Thank you in advance.
      Take it off and go to any parts store. They should have it in stock. Is it round cylinder shaped about six inches long?

Comment

Did you ever find out which coil?
        2003 X9
        350 MCX
        Zero Flex Tower

Comment

I have a question since we are on coils. My existing coil did NOT have the external resistor. I went on SkiDim and ordered replacement. When I get it, it has "Do not use without external resistor" stamped on it. Sounds like I just ordered the wrong one. What's the fallout from running it without the resistor? Should I just re-order one that CAN be used without the resistor? Thoughts?

Comment

If you don't have a ballast resistor or a coil with the correct resistance you will burn your points or possibly damage your electronic ignition depending upon its design. I have a Pertronix Ignitor II and a Flamethrower II coil with 0.6 ohm resistance and no ballast resistor. You could also run a standard coil and a ballast resistor with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
            sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
            REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
            REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
            Email - [email protected]

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks. Sounds like I need to get the right one before I go any further. Much appreciated.

Comment

After mrmastercraft recommended the Ignitor II, I had to try it. A 30 minute install and it was ready for a wet run. I dropped her in the water to tweak the timing and the results were totally unbelievable. I hadn't installed the Flamethrower yet and I was flabbergasted at the improvement in the '89 351 performance. I was afraid the engine and transmission were going to take off on their own. I couldn't stay in the throttle from fear of the engine performing too well. I need to find a chance to install the Flamethrower. I may try to find a test pilot.
                Thanks for the recommendation you guys.

Comment

That's great to hear Teakind. I went ahead and took the plunge with a complete overhaul. I ordered the Pertronix Ignitor II and a Flamethrower II coil (along with new cap and rotor) as mrmastercraft recommended above. I had an original Prestolite system in before ('91). They are actually supposed to come in today. Hopefully i have time this week to install. I'll post updates when I do.

I'll tell you though, my 240SC (454 Indmar) already ran great, so if this upgrade does what you are saying, I'm in for a great ride.

Comment

I have a Prestolite EI distributor (looks like this http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=11374). Where would the ballast resistor be located and what does it look like? I thought I had Points but when to replace and found that it was an EI conversion.
                    2003 X9
                    350 MCX
                    Zero Flex Tower

Comment

behind the ignition coil mounted to the engine itself
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	ballast_resistor.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2363337
                      it'll look similar to this

Name:	178-8139_is.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	2363335

Name:	4400670_20130413105217.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	2363336
                      Last edited by Spork; 06-13-2016, 04:54 PM.
                      /spĂ´rk/
                      a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

Comment

REVIVING AN OLD DEAD THREAD:

I changed out my coil pack this weekend. All of the wires are on one side of the resistor. My new coil pack is for using without a resistor but the old coil pack said for use with a resistor. I have EI so I thought the coil pack should have been changed as well. It was the original that came on the boat as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                        X