X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #snatchattack
    replied
    Originally posted by j2shay View Post
    may be a dumb question, but if you turn you perko switch to off but leave the auto bilge on (as in a case where you leave the boat in a slip overnight) would the auto bilge still work?

Joel
    Originally posted by MLA View Post
    Yes, when wired battery direct.

Oops! I didn't see this reply. Damn technology never works correctly. Maybe its operator error.

Leave a comment:

• #snatchattack
    replied
    may be a dumb question, but if you turn you perko switch to off but leave the auto bilge on (as in a case where you leave the boat in a slip overnight) would the auto bilge still work?

Joel

I would imagine as long as the automatic bilge is wired directly to the battery and not to the perko switch, it should still work when the perko switch is turned off.

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied

Joel
    Yes, when wired battery direct.

Leave a comment:

• j2shay
    replied
    Originally posted by #snatchattack View Post
    No issues now that the perko switch has been wired correctly.
    Good to hear that you resolved the issue.

Joel

Leave a comment:

• j2shay
    replied
    Originally posted by MLA View Post
    Everything but the auto bilge, goes to the common.

Joel

Leave a comment:

• #snatchattack
    replied
    No issues now that the perko switch has been wired correctly.
    Last edited by #snatchattack; 05-07-2017, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied
    Everything but the auto bilge, goes to the common.

Leave a comment:

• neil.anderson63
    replied
    Many public libraries have automotive manuals. Fo free!

Leave a comment:

• #snatchattack
    replied
    Originally posted by JimN View Post
    Some auto parts stores have manuals that have been opened, so you may be able to see if it has a good troubleshooting section.

If you can't find a Chilton's manual that applies, look for one from Haynes or Indmar.

If the battery drains with the Perko shut off, look at the battery and count the wires that are connected- if it's one red and one black, remove the orange wire from the post on the alternator and tape the end so it can't touch anything. Let it sit and check the battery the next day- if it's good, the cause is in the alternator, as I posted before.

So before we got to in depth with figuring the issue out. We double checked the perko switch and needless to stay it was wired wrong.... With that being said we had a friendly mechanic hook up the switch.... So correct me if I'm wrong the power cable goes from the starter to the common on the perko switch right?

Leave a comment:

• JimN
    replied
    No I have not ever read that manual I will keep it in mind! I think we can get a multi-meter. So I will try that test ^^, when I get a chance. If that is the case I will have to find a place to rebuild the alternator. Thanks for the info!
    Some auto parts stores have manuals that have been opened, so you may be able to see if it has a good troubleshooting section.

If you can't find a Chilton's manual that applies, look for one from Haynes or Indmar.

If the battery drains with the Perko shut off, look at the battery and count the wires that are connected- if it's one red and one black, remove the orange wire from the post on the alternator and tape the end so it can't touch anything. Let it sit and check the battery the next day- if it's good, the cause is in the alternator, as I posted before.

Leave a comment:

• 1redTA
    replied
    is your bilge pump wired directly to the battery?

Leave a comment:

• j2shay
    replied
    Ok please let us know your findings. I hate ongoing issues like this, and I am sure you hate them more currently. Good luck

Joel

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied
    We just put a perko switch in it and it still drained the battery. Hopefully I get to run it tomorrow and see what it does a few days after.
    You've got multiple issues then. Something failed and something wired incorrectly. If the switch is off and a battery still goes dead, A) its a bad battery, B) it was dead already, C) something is wired direct to the battery and is failed or on, causing an unwanted draw.

This actually simplifies things. if wired correctly, you eliminate 99% of the boat as the draw, leaving you the auto bilge pump as the only thing that should circumvent the switch.

Leave a comment:

• #snatchattack
    replied
    I am sure Jim n will know far more than anyone here, but I have a 2000 prostar 190 that had a problem of the power draining when not in use. The original owner put in a perko switch and never had issues since. I have not had any issues and turn it off when not in use. Hope this helps and might be worth a try if you can't isolate the problem any other way. Good luck!

Joel
    We just put a perko switch in it and it still drained the battery. Hopefully I get to run it tomorrow and see what it does a few days after.

Leave a comment:

• j2shay
    replied
    I am sure Jim n will know far more than anyone here, but I have a 2000 prostar 190 that had a problem of the power draining when not in use. The original owner put in a perko switch and never had issues since. I have not had any issues and turn it off when not in use. Hope this helps and might be worth a try if you can't isolate the problem any other way. Good luck!

Joel

Leave a comment:

Working...
X