89 PS 190 w/351 cranking while running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 PS 190 w/351 cranking while running

This happened for a minute or so last weekend. Was just putting around, people swimming, had to move the boat a little. Started it, put it in gear, moved it, sounded strange. Back in neutral, still strange. Turned key off, engine continued to crank. The starter was stuck on while the boat was running whether in gear or not. Key was off and just cranking away, not running then.

Turned the key back to on, engine immediately fired and ran (without turning key to start position) but the starter did not stop. Did this a couple more times and it eventually stopped. Headed in at that point. Had to turn engine on and off several more times to dock and trailer it and it didn't happen again.

I ohmed out the ignition switch and found no problem. I would think the neutral safety switch would prevent the starter from running while in gear.

Any info or ideas appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

My guess is your starter solenoid is sticking. I believe your 351 has a remote solenoid and it is an inexpensive part.
    '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Originally posted by Table Rocker View Post
      My guess is your starter solenoid is sticking. I believe your 351 has a remote solenoid and it is an inexpensive part.
      Good answer. Solenoids wear out. They also fail prematurely when you crank the engine with very low voltage left in the battery. The low voltage causes the amps to spike and will weld the solenoid contacts. (not saying you did this, just as a PSA).
      CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
      sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
      REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
      REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
      Email - [email protected]

Comment

I am sure that the contacts welded together. This is a common problem with cheap solenoids and even with some OEM ones. Sometimes you can tap the solenoid and it will release.

I was just looking at my son in laws 1987 PS190 solenoid this morning because it was not always operating. Occasionally the solenoid just would click and not start the engine. Clicking is a symptom of low voltage to the solenoid coil.

Looks like the previous owner recently had changed the solenoid, but failed to clean the terminals. There was lower voltage to the solenoid than at the battery? I cleaned the solenoid terminals, but no change. I finally cleaned the ground lead to the engine frame and now have battery voltage at the solenoid. Not many people even think to check this ground connection.

I used to be a JD tech and cannot tell you how many problems are caused by poor battery or ground connections. That is where I begin trouble shooting electrical problems.

George of Buford
        Last edited by George of Buford; 07-10-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by George of Buford View Post
          I am sure that the contacts welded together. This is a common problem with cheap solenoids and even with some OEM ones. Sometimes you can tap the solenoid and it will release.

I was just looking at my son in laws 1987 PS190 solenoid this morning because it was not always operating. Occasionally the solenoid just would click and not start the engine. Clicking is a symptom of low voltage to the solenoid coil.

Looks like the previous owner recently had changed the solenoid, but failed to clean the terminals. There was lower voltage to the solenoid than at the battery? I cleaned the solenoid terminals, but no change. I finally cleaned the ground lead to the engine frame and now have battery voltage at the solenoid. Not many people even think to check this ground connection.

I used to be a JD tech and cannot tell you how many problems are caused by poor battery or ground connections. That is where I begin trouble shooting electrical problems.

George of Buford
          I can't begin to count how many times I have given out this advice.
          CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
          sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
          REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
          REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
          Email - [email protected]

Comment

Working...
          X